EML light , P1498 code - What to do ?

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
stan360
MINIAC
MINIAC

EML light , P1498 code - What to do ?

Post by stan360 »

Last night when driving home, in the EML light came on about 10 minutes into the drive. (05 Cooper S ) . I also have a digital UltraGauge in the OBDII and it throws a P1498 code ?!? I pulled into a rest area, turned off the car and back on. The light was off. Made it home fine. Peake reader showed no codes. Drove 25 miles this morning , no lights or codes. Got in the car tonight to drive 25 miles home . Same EML after about 5 minutes and now the Check Engine light and the Ultra Gauge is doing the same P1498 code. Got home and Peake reader shows P1498 ( code is not even in its reference book ) . I reset the warning lights. It has been cold the last two nights. I let the car warm up a bit before driving. While I cannot find the P1498 code in Bentley of the Peake reader book I have. I did find some reference on NAM forum for P1498 and possible vacuum leaks /cracks in plastic intake duct between SC and shut off valve. Leaking of Sticking Shut off valve . Faulty gasket between SC and intake duct. Tubing to manifold air pressure sensor leaking / Also intercooler boots leaking. There was some reference to possible intake manifold gasket leak or faulty Map and tmap sensors ?

What do I look for ? I really dont know here what the best plan of action is. All these parts are are going to take some digging to get to. So I want to be sure to go in the right direction. Are there any tests I can do to isolate the problem area ? ( I have no smoke machine )

I have boost PSI gauge within the Ultra gauge and seems to be in the - Neg vacuum a lot recently while cruising staying slightly negative , but -9.58 at idle and hits plus side boost of 10 or so if I am romping it but less so close to normal shifting peaks....
and there is also a slight air sound ( gasp ) when I romp the throttle ,,, a lagging split second gasp of air just before it kicks in...most noticable in nuetral ie. revving it a bit . ( I am not sure what that is but possibly just the CAI getting too much air, as it seems to have been there since install of CAI , just seems a bit worse the last couple days )

a few symptoms, perhaps related , maybe not though.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: EML light , P1498 code - What to do ?

Post by Minidave »

Check the boots on either side of the intercooler for cracks or looseness.....then look for a cracked or loose vacuum line
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
stan360
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by stan360 »

Well, I pulled the intercooler off today. Poked around at some lines and cleaned the boots . They had a bit of oily residue on them, but the rubber looks good and supple still. I took a bit of rubbing alcohol to them to get that off and really cleaned up and then I took a bit of scotch brite to the air duct lip areas, esp. the driver side that is really polished. Hoping all that helped to seal things up a bit and snugging up the clamps. After driving it around for about 30 minutes this evening , no codes , no EML or check engine.

I will drive this again in the morning , hoping it is colder outside and see if I get any warning lights...fingers crossed , as the past two evenings were colder and oddly coinciding with the lights, we'll see if happens again.
stan360
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by stan360 »

I have put around 100 miles on the mini in the last couplevdays and no error codes....I am hoping that addressing the intercooler boots was all it needed.
stan360
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by stan360 »

Well, since November the weather has cooled down and I got the P1498 code again. Only when the temp was below freezing and the car set outside all afternoon.

I took some time off over New years and did a 15% sc pulley mod/ Super damper replacement and while I had things apart I decided to replace the intake duct for the SuperCharger and its gasket and the line from it to the map sensor. There was a fair amount of sludge in the gasket area and a bit of sloppy fit ?!? . I did replace a dried up crank sensor O ring a few months back and cleaned up sludge around the area off the block but it did not occur to me to check in this gasket area even though it is right there beside the sensor . New intercooler boots, gaskets to the throttle body since I removed it and supercharger horn that was also removed . Also put on a new bypass valve ( the detroit tuned stiff spring job).

Runs great now , Bunch more boost and really jumps when I step on the gas..... and consistently no codes and it is cold as hell out. I am pretty sure that this problem is solved.

Next up is brake lines. I noticed a split in the exterior rubber on one of the rear lines.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Sounds like a bunch of worth while improvements, well done.

How's the Mini coming? When are you planning to take it down south for the body work?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Gray Raven
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Gray Raven »

stan360 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:08 pm Well, since November the weather has cooled down and I got the P1498 code again. Only when the temp was below freezing and the car set outside all afternoon.

I took some time off over New years and did a 15% sc pulley mod/ Super damper replacement and while I had things apart I decided to replace the intake duct for the SuperCharger and its gasket and the line from it to the map sensor. There was a fair amount of sludge in the gasket area and a bit of sloppy fit ?!? . I did replace a dried up crank sensor O ring a few months back and cleaned up sludge around the area off the block but it did not occur to me to check in this gasket area even though it is right there beside the sensor . New intercooler boots, gaskets to the throttle body since I removed it and supercharger horn that was also removed . Also put on a new bypass valve ( the detroit tuned stiff spring job).

Runs great now , Bunch more boost and really jumps when I step on the gas..... and consistently no codes and it is cold as hell out. I am pretty sure that this problem is solved.

Next up is brake lines. I noticed a split in the exterior rubber on one of the rear lines.
Hey Stan, after replacing all those parts, which one do you feel was responsible for the code ?
2003 R53 JCW with every JCW option made/sold by MINI except the shit knob and CF dash. GP Body Kit, GP underpanels, GP intercooler, CRYO2 Sprayer.
Gray Raven
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Gray Raven »

R53 JCW, 244K miles - very well maintained about every part has been replaced with new OEM....and I mean about every part at least once, except engine and transmission.

Have been sporatically seeing a P1498 code for past 4 months....Started in December during colder wx. It's mostly a garage queen now so doesn't see much daylight...Replaced the MAP sensor above the upper radiator hose...nada. Code came back. Smoke tested the vac line and BMW performed an test of fuel evac system elctronically and all was good.

Today temps were about 38-40* - started it up, pulled out and parked it with engine running for about 3 mins to warm it up.

Went to leave 3 mins later and I saw that the EML light was on.

Checked SGII mounted on the dash, the code was not initally readable...So turned off ignition, put key to pos2 and pressed "read" - P1498 code rears it's ugly head again! No other symptoms....Car has no driveabilty issues and sounds strong up through the entire RPM range.

State Inspection in July, so need to get this sorted out.

I was going to replace the Detroit Tuned BPV since it has over 200K miles on it, but after ordering on line with brief synopsis of my situation, Chad was nice enough to call me to say he's never had one of those needing replacement. The springs are thick and strong and just dont wear out.

So meantime, I've ordered a bunch of vac lines associated with the fuel preporation system, and the one for the FPR ( fuel pressure regulator ) and the metal gasket for cold side of the supercharger horn, and gasket for TB.

Will dive into the GP intercooler tomorrow and check the rubber boots but those are OEM and practically brand new at 3,000 miles ago. Cant imagine those are cracked.

If anyone has solved this w/o shotgunning a slew of parts at the situation ( all at once ) please let me know !

Thanks in advance !
JCW ENGINE BAY AFTER DECALS.jpg
2003 R53 JCW with every JCW option made/sold by MINI except the shit knob and CF dash. GP Body Kit, GP underpanels, GP intercooler, CRYO2 Sprayer.