Desperately Seeking Serpentine Belt Tool for R50-53 Justa

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Desperately Seeking Serpentine Belt Tool for R50-53 Justa

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Looking for the serpentine belt tool for a non-S R52 (R50, R53). Have one you want to sell or loan?
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Desperately Seeking Serpentine Belt Tool for R50-53 Just

Post by davester »

See this post from Hagar46 5/16/12

Re: The Club's Tools - Updated 1/2012

Postby Hagar46 » Wed May 16, 2012 12:02 pm
Does the Club or anyone in the Club own a serpentine belt tensioner release tool for Just-a-Cooper (not Cooper S) that they would be willing to loan out to me? I need to replace my serpentine belt (and maybe the tensioner). :(
http://www.promini.com/product_huge_ima ... 9sZy5qcGc=
Last edited by Hagar46 on Wed May 16, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Unichip ECU, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink, 215k+ miles

Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

He musta had Baron do it, he doesn't have the tool either.....nor do I.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Minidave wrote:He must have had Baron do it, he doesn't have the tool either.....nor do I.
MiniX2 spoke to Hagar yesterday and he didn't have the tool. Baron has only one in the shop and we wouldn't expect them to loan it to us. So the tool has been ordered and will be here by July-ish. (Only sorta kidding...) Will donate it to the club once BumperCar is back together. Then when it's needed after the next 168,000 miles, we will know where to find it. :lol:
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I had to rent a whole passle of tools to do Rose's Audi cambelt - I think to buy them would be well over $1K......I usually think buying tools is a good investment - but not in this case, I can't imagine ever doing this job again - and we think working on MINIs is tough!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Race
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Race »

I just used a 3/8" drive ratchet to take the tension off of the belt tensioner arm and a bolt with a piece of wire attached to it to lock the tensioner arm in the slack position while replacing the belt. There is not a lot of space between the tensioner and the frame so a narrow rachet is a must, and the bolt with the wire attached helps to maneuver the bolt in place. It's too narrow for your fingers to get in there. It is outlined in the Haynes 2001-2005 MINI Workshop Manual.

Here is a YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8x4VHXzXAA

Instead of using the special tool as described put your 3/8" ratchet in that square hole out on the end of the belt tensioner and rotate counterclockwise.
03 MINI Cooper, SS+, Koni Coilovers, Camber, 19mm Rr Bar, 225/45/15 BFG Rivals on 15x8 Rota RBs, GIAC, Custom K&N CAI, Magnaflow Header, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, Corbeau Seat, MOMO wheel, G Force 5 pt harness.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Wow, that vid really helps......I have a 3/8 breakover bar that would probably work perfectly, and if you bend up a rod out of piece of thick welding rod you should be good to go.

John, are you replacing the water pump while you're in there? Might be a good time - also check the idler wheel bearing on the tensioner and idler.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Tool is on the way and the resident mechanic is busy with his real job this week, so will wait for the tool but appreciate the video.

I don't think a water pump is in the plans. It has already been replaced once. Will ask on the other. The list of parts looked like a grocery list for a large family...
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

The tool has arrived! If anyone wants to see it in action, tomorrow is the big day. :lol:

Oh, how I miss my MINI. Hoping to have a car back soon, the kind with a retractable top and a transmission that doesn't require that pesky third pedal.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

ragtopday wrote:The tool has arrived! If anyone wants to see it in action, tomorrow is the big day. :lol:

Oh, how I miss my MINI. Hoping to have a car back soon, the kind with a retractable top and a transmission that doesn't require that pesky third pedal.

:D :D
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!