Cat-back Exhaust

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Cat-back Exhaust

Post by Zack »

Thoughts and recommendations for a cat-back and the simplicity of installation. I'm looking at a Magnaflow from Outmotoring at the moment but open to suggestions around that price range.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Cat-back Exhaust

Post by MiniManiac »

I am not sure on the non-s Clubmans for installation but on my R56 S, the install is pretty straight forward. You can do it without a lift but life is much better if one is available.

As far as brand, I recommend listening to as many YouTube clips that you can find. Also, try to find someone who may have the exhaust you want and ride in their car. I have run 3 different exhausts on my R56 (Invidia, JCW and one other) and each droned so bad at HWY speeds that I went back to the stock exhaust. Megan is running the Quicksilver (it came with the MINI) on her MINI and it has the least amount of drone. It would still drive me crazy so I am glad it is on her car.

Are you looking for a change in sound or a HP increase? Don't believe the hype of HP increases that the companies will try to sell to you. I put my R56 on the dyno with and without the JCW exhaust. The difference was 3WHP. Not really worth the $$$.

Good luck in your search.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

MiniManiac wrote:I am not sure on the non-s Clubmans for installation but on my R56 S, the install is pretty straight forward. You can do it without a lift but life is much better if one is available.

As far as brand, I recommend listening to as many YouTube clips that you can find. Also, try to find someone who may have the exhaust you want and ride in their car. I have run 3 different exhausts on my R56 (Invidia, JCW and one other) and each droned so bad at HWY speeds that I went back to the stock exhaust. Megan is running the Quicksilver (it came with the MINI) on her MINI and it has the least amount of drone. It would still drive me crazy so I am glad it is on her car.

Are you looking for a change in sound or a HP increase? Don't believe the hype of HP increases that the companies will try to sell to you. I put my R56 on the dyno with and without the JCW exhaust. The difference was 3WHP. Not really worth the $$$.

Good luck in your search.
Since horsepower gains are pointless with a Justa, I have heard that throttle response is improved with a cat-back and I wouldn't mind the deeper tone in the exhaust from my car. As far as drone, My Mazda 3 came with a Flowmaster when I had it and that thing was horrible. The magnaflow I have been told and have heard online on YouTube doesn't have as pronounced a drone from inside.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Well, after doing some more research, reading some forums and opinion sites, and talking with the service advisors at Baron, I've decided to scrap my plans to do a cat-back. Yes it sounds like a good idea, but all it will do is change the sound, and for $650 it better do more than that. Cat-back would only be beneficial on cars like the turbo engines or my old supercharged engine. So for now, I have a K&N filter and I'm calling it done. When I get a turbocharged Mini again, JCW or S, I will revisit this.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote:Well, after doing some more research, reading some forums and opinion sites, and talking with the service advisors at Baron, I've decided to scrap my plans to do a cat-back. Yes it sounds like a good idea, but all it will do is change the sound, and for $650 it better do more than that. Cat-back would only be beneficial on cars like the turbo engines or my old supercharged engine. So for now, I have a K&N filter and I'm calling it done. When I get a turbocharged Mini again, JCW or S, I will revisit this.
Good choice. Save that money for something else.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

MiniManiac wrote:
Zackattack28 wrote:Well, after doing some more research, reading some forums and opinion sites, and talking with the service advisors at Baron, I've decided to scrap my plans to do a cat-back. Yes it sounds like a good idea, but all it will do is change the sound, and for $650 it better do more than that. Cat-back would only be beneficial on cars like the turbo engines or my old supercharged engine. So for now, I have a K&N filter and I'm calling it done. When I get a turbocharged Mini again, JCW or S, I will revisit this.
Good choice. Save that money for something else.
Well I am thinking about buying a Tamiya M-05 MX-5 Miata and buying the M-06 chassis kit (RWD) and building that and swapping over all the running gear from the M-05. Who ever heard of a front wheel drive Miata. Also thinking of a Tamiya XV-01 Subaru XV Crosstrek. Been getting into RC lately. That's the only way I will buy a Subaru lol, in RC form.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S