Electrical issues - possible FRM

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Electrical issues - possible FRM

Post by nine5raptor »

Started the car and headed towards work this morning. Got less than 100 ft and had several lights pop up:
A red service indicator,
Then yellow door ajar,
Then light bulb out.
These cycled over and over my entire drive.

I checked the doors...all good. Didn't check the others out. Car was driving fine. Got to my first stop sign and found my blinkers were dead. Then I started checking other stuff.

Door locks are dead (using interior switch), fob doesn't do anything either. Windows won't move, either opening the door or using the interior switches.

I did some checking and found it may be the Foot Well Module or FRM (Fuss Raum Modul). Potentially a battery going out as well.

Symptoms of the FRM is windows and blinkers dead, but also lights going to their default state (low beams on constantly for example).

Will try to pull codes tonight and check it out more. Hoping its not the FRM as it looks like that is $1500+ to replace and recode at the dealer.

Anyone else have FRM or similar issues?

-Chris
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Electrical issues - possible FRM

Post by nine5raptor »

Checked battery and alternator voltages. All good. No codes in the ECM.

Did some research and looks like BMW has an extended limited warranty for the FRM. Called up Baron and gave them the VIN. They confirmed there is, indeed, an ELW for up to 8 years and 125k miles for MINIs as well. My build date was 11/2009 and I am well below the miles.

Dropping it off tomorrow to get it checked out/confirmed.

Will report back just to follow up.
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Wow!! Glad that it is covered under warranty.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Agreed! Likely 1500-2000 otherwise. Was, indeed, the FRM. Cost me $0 to replace, but I did have them do several other items (oil change, brake fluid, serpentine), so it still cost me $400. Got a clubman all4 as a loaner for the day. Wow! The F series are quite a bit different than my R56S. Not sure I liked all of the changes. The info center had a ton more info than my basic trim model though. Was kind of fun to play with.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

nine5raptor wrote:Agreed! Likely 1500-2000 otherwise. Was, indeed, the FRM. Cost me $0 to replace, but I did have them do several other items (oil change, brake fluid, serpentine), so it still cost me $400. Got a clubman all4 as a loaner for the day. Wow! The F series are quite a bit different than my R56S. Not sure I liked all of the changes. The info center had a ton more info than my basic trim model though. Was kind of fun to play with.
The power in the new S models is awesome. I agree that I am not entirely sold on all of the other updates but I am sure that I could deal with it :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!