Project Rocky Build Up

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Project Rocky Build Up

Post by Zack »

For those of you I didn't tell...

I'm buying Project Rocky from Collin when it is finished. Already have a sizable down payment on the car and have been talking with him about upgrades to the car, included in the price, and those I'm going to add onto the car outside of our agreement.

For those who aren't following Collin's youtube channel R50what, Rocky is a 2008 Mini Cooper S, once owned by Bob, that was retrofitted with a JCW dealer-installed kit by Craig Wilcox. The car was a local and national Autocross champion. I watched this car out racing when I first started autocrossing my R53 and always loved that car. Never thought I would get the chance to own it. It is a true legend of a vehicle and I can't wait to get him out on to the road.

I would love any and all input you all may have regarding the upgrades to the car.

Collin is handling the common failure points on the N14 engine so that they aren't a problem down the road.

So far we are planning a Manic Stage 2 tune or equivalent, not sure it can be done without a de-catted down-pipe but we are looking into it.

I'm planning to upgrade the turbo oil lines with a kit I found. I'm also getting a BSH boost tap, alta diverter valve spring, and a Forge BOV adapter.

We rolled into the purchase price a BSH oil catch can, GP rear diffuser and a set of R112 wheels with tires. The wheels are going to be powdercoated black (not sure on gloss or matte black).

I'm sure other changes may come along down the road but for now this is what we are working with until the engine reassembly begins.

I'm also developing a unique graphics package for the car that Todd will install.

We eliminated doing the LED headlight conversion so that we could divert those funds to increasing the horsepower. We also decided to go with the set of R112 wheels and tires because they were less expensive than our original plan for wheels and tires.

Haven't sourced a possibly brake upgrade. I don't think that is in the budget for now but we may leave the stock Cooper S brake calipers and improve the pads, maybe replace the discs. Would love a JCW brake kit but those are pricey.

Anyway, feel free to post any and all suggestions on here. Look for updates as the car begins to be reassembled and continue watching R50what for the complete rebuild of Rocky.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Project Rocky Build Up

Post by Minidave »

Your plans for the car should dictate the equipment upgrades, for example if the brakes were good enough to attain a national championship, do you really need to upgrade them?

In all the times I was on track at Heartland Park, I never ran out of brakes, and mine were dead stock standard S brakes, do you really think you need more brakes for what you're going to do? I think a lot of the fixation with bigger brakes is more down to looks than need, either that or people who don't know how to use the brakes properly.

Good luck to you and Colin on the build, sounds like it will be a quick fun car to drive, can't wait to hear it run again!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

I had, and sold, the forge BOV adapter. Found a Defenders of Speed V1 intake instead (pokes through the inner bulkhead and draws air from below the windshield as well as through the stock snorkel). It's quite a bit more dramatic noise wise than the bov adapter - whistles, howls, and sneezes.

I would consider a torque arm or the inserts. I have the inserts in mine and have been very happy with it.

Also the BMS clutch stop. I prefer my clutch to start engaging with just a toe lift and the stop was a $10 fix to make the clutch pedal the way I wanted it.

For exhausts... I have tried catless cat-back with stock downpipe, catless downpipe with catless cat-back, catless downpipe with stock cat-back. fully decatted was too much - smelly and noisy. Currently running stock cat-back with catless DP and happy with it.

You will probably need a larger intercooler or Meth with the tune and especially with 91 octane fuel - have some way of logging engine parameters so you can see intake temps, timing, knock values, etc.

M7 lists the following as recommended minimums for the Manic Stage 2 tune:
Stage 2 requires performance aftermarket hardware upgrades including a high flow intercooler, High Flow intake system, a JCW or aftermarket 2.5”-3” exhaust with a high flow 200/100 cell catalytic converter or removal of the catalytic converter(decat) *. If your car does not have these upgrades a Stage 2 IS NOT RECOMMENDED. The tune can be preset for 89, 91 or 93 octane gasoline.
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Nine5raptor - we have a brand new Forge FMIC

minidave - I'm probably sticking with the Cooper S brakes it has and may just get some better pads. If the discs aren't bad I will keep those. Collin is going to paint the calipers red for a bit color. The JCW brake kit, for the little time I would actually ever Autocross this car, would be mostly for looks.

Still looking over some other details. I think the big things will be decided once the engine is being put back together. I have a shopping list of little additional upgrades I want. Trying to not go too overboard now that I have a car that can be modified like crazy.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW