CIMC-KCME Joint Drive, May 19th 11AM, Bethany MO

KC MINI Club Announcements & Welcome Info
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

CIMC-KCME Joint Drive, May 19th 11AM, Bethany MO

Post by Spart »

Added on 5/4 - Flyer: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3KHuv ... 045YTR0VGs

I'm going to host a joint drive between the Central Iowa Mini Club (CIMC) and KCME. We'll be touring a route that starts in Bethany, MO and ends up in Leon, IA - passing through Nine Eagles State Park. This will be a spirited drive in that a lot of us like to speed up for corners :lol: But we'll try to keep the cruising speed near the limit so those of you who just like to cruise and see the countryside don't get too far behind at the back. Wouldn't want to lose any of you guys in banjo country. :wink:

The date for this drive is going to be May 19th, which is a Saturday. In the event of a rain-out, we'll do the 26th which is the following Saturday. The 26th-29th is Memorial Day weekend, so we might get less attendance if the drive does get rained out.

We're going to start in Bethany, MO at 11AM. That's about 90 miles from downtown KC. My original route ended (or started) further south in Pattonsburg, but we decided it would be best to meet somewhere for lunch, gas, and a restroom break first and Pattonsburg isn't the best place to accomplish those three things. Neither is Leon, which is on the other end of the route.

Our meeting place will be the square - 100 N 16th St, Bethany, MO. I'll hand out maps and discuss the day's plans on the steps on the west side of the courthouse. Be advised that the south part of the square is the only part that isn't one-way counter-clockwise, so you'll probably want to park on the east, north, or west side of the square so we can all leave in the same direction. If we run out of room (doubtful) park on the south side facing east.

At the conclusion of our meeting, we'll depart for Sonic which is a mile away across town (3808 Miller Street.) There's a Kum and Go across the street from Sonic that sells premium and has restrooms. If the Sonic doesn't float your boat or is too crowded, there's a Wendy's, a DQ, a Subway, and a KFC/Taco Bell all within a couple blocks.

If you're driving up on 35 from the south, I highly recommend taking the Pattonsburg exit and driving Hwy 69 the rest of the way to Bethany. I-35 is arrow-straight pretty much the whole way there and you'll be ready for a change of pace by then.

We'll plan to depart for the drive around noon after lining up on the far east side of the Wal-Mart parking lot which is a stone's throw to the southeast of Sonic.

The route will hit as many of the good driving roads in the area as possible and be about 70-90 miles total. Planned stops will include a bathroom/stretching break somewhere and a stop in Nine Eagles State Park by the lake for a photo op.

I'm thinking we might loop around back to Lamoni for some ice cream at the conclusion of the drive? There are three places - Maid-Rite has awesome shakes, there's a family-owned restauraunt called Quilt Country that sells shakes and cones and such if they're open, and there's also a small ice cream parlor by the name of "Pierce's Dairy Cup" but parking there is pretty scarce. I'd have to get permission from the used car lot across the street to park there (luckily I know the owner.)
Last edited by Spart on Fri May 04, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: CIMC-KCME Joint Drive, May 19th 11AM, Bethany MO

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Thanks for taking the lead -- sounds like a great event!
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

KC Caravan to CIMC-KCME Joint Drive, May 19th

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Should we have a caravan from KC up to Bethany to the starting point? OF COURSE we should!

Any of you northlanders have a suggestion for a convenient meeting place up around Liberty or so?

If we have to be in Bethany at 11am, we should leave Liberty-ish area by 9:30am at the latest. So meet up at 9am-ish somewhere? Need a place with coffee, restrooms, and convenient access to I-35.

Anyone have a suggestion?
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

The Sonic, where we had our last meet, would have food, restroom, and EZ access to I-35. There is a convenience store as well. --- The address of the Sonic is 10101 NE Cookingham Road, Kansas City, MO 64157. It is just West of the I-35 and 291 intersection. (291 is Cookingham Road.) If someone has another location they like, just chime in with it. :D
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

Keep in mind we're eating at Sonic before we leave Bethany.

Sonic is great and everything, but it's not twice-a-day great. ;)

There's a big gas station in Liberty that I always stop at on the way to the airport. I think it's the southbound exit for the airport, takes you to the I-435 loop, probably the northernmost exit for Liberty? There's a lot less traffic there than the one that's right by Liberty's Wal-Mart. Not being a KC native, that would be my choice due to the difference in traffic. But my advice is worth what you paid for it!

ETA: There is a BP gas station that literally shares the parking lot with the Sonic in Bethany, and directly across the street is a Kum and Go. Both have premium fuel. The town square meeting is at 11AM and we'll leave Bethany at noon, which will give you guys a chance to refuel, and eat, and allow for anyone that got a late start to join us and skip lunch.

ETAx2: If anyone wants to take Highway 69 the whole way up, Bethany is on 69. There is a group coming down from DSM on backroads and I would imagine they'll be on 69 most of the way.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

How many cars are you expecting, James?

I'm up for a 9am meet-up in Liberty, is there a KK up there instead of Sonic? or something a little more breakfasty?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

Probably 20 altogether? It's quite a long drive for some people. If we get much more than that I'll be pleasantly surprised.

The Sonic can handle 20 cars in bays and they have 5 picnic tables if you want to park a few feet away in the Orscheln's parking lot. There's a Wendy's attached to the Kum & Go across the street, and a Subway, Dairy Queen, and KFC/Taco Bell all within a block or so. I don't think we'll be hard pressed for food options.
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

davester wrote:The Sonic, where we had our last meet, would have food, restroom, and EZ access to I-35. There is a convenience store as well. --- The address of the Sonic is 10101 NE Cookingham Road, Kansas City, MO 64157. It is just West of the I-35 and 291 intersection. (291 is Cookingham Road.) If someone has another location they like, just chime in with it. :D
I don't know enough about the Liberty area to be able to offer an intelligent suggestion.

Other options? I'm envisioning a QuikTrip type of place as a meeting spot. Or a donut/coffee shop?
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

This is the Quik Trip that I usually stop at on the way home from the airport. It's on the north edge of Liberty and the traffic on Cookingham Dr. isn't as bad as 152.

Also, here's the flyer I made for the event. It has embedded links to a map of the Bethany area where we'll have lunch, and a link to get directions on Google Maps to the Bethany town square.
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

New forum member, not quite a local-yokle. I'm giving some serious consideration to Saturday ride. Is there a place where all the details will be gathered? I don't social network (FB, Tweet, LinkedIn, etc.)...
How much are club dues? And who to pay, when?

Not really related to this post, but I'm on a roll... When's the next garage day? My ride is <500 miles from the 45K service. I would prefer to DIY than drop it off at Haffkemeyer for the day. Can y'all lend me some advice on how to best accomplish this service interval? I just changed the oil <1500 miles. I'm amenable to purchasing a tool for the club for some help with the service, or whatever is clever.

Mark Aaron
c| (602) 620-0999
e| rodocker@gmail
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Hey Mark, and welcome!

First off, no official dues or memberships, however we do pass the can at a couple of events a year for contributions.

Check your service book to see what all is involved in the next service, but I don't think there's much that you can't do yourself, I think it's mostly just check this, look at that - plus the oil change you already did.

Garage days are on an "as needed" basis, so if a couple of people pipe up that they need to do some work on their car, we put a day together. Most of them seem to be at my place in Overland Park lately - but there is no requirement that it be so and we've done them at member's garages in Shawnee and Liberty in the past as well. I'm always happy to host a garage day.

Check the top of this thread for ride details, the KC group is planning to meet in Liberty and caravan up to Bethany, where the ride will start.
We're still firming up where we're going to meet up, so check this thread....and plan to meet us there or in Bethany if you prefer!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

There's a Lamar's donuts just a couple of blocks off I-35 at 152, does that sound good for a morning meet up for the KC contingent before heading to Bethany, or would you all rather meet up at the Quik Trip Spart referenced?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

If you don't mind, could I give you a ring when I close in on that interval to use the "reset tool?"
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

I don't see why you guys haven't selected my all time favorite,"Chic-Fil-A".Perfect location for jumping onto I-35 and points north.Besides they have better food than Sonic anyway :thumbsup2:
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Frank, Chik fil A at 9 am in the morning?

I'm looking for breakfast - you know....pancakes and donuts and ham and eggs and such.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Mark, you don't need a reset tool, you use the buttons in the car to reset the interval....there are tutorials on both NAM and Motoring Alliance on how to do this, it's different on the first gen cars than the second gen.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Chic-Fil-A has great breakfast burritos!
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

and great chicken biscuits :mrgreen:
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

I drove quite a bit of the route this weekend, some of it in reverse.

I wish I could transplant the section of Highway 69 between Bethany and Ridgeway to somewhere near Lamoni. Especially the first set of tight S-curves.

Granted, I'd probably ruin a set of tires every few months. But that's a small price to pay for happiness. :D
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

Wish I could go but the Star Wars group is doing an event at Whiteman and we get to see the B-2 bombers up close and take pictures with them. Don't want to miss a once in a lifetime opportunity. :)
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

Saw one fly over at the Chiefs home opener last year. They're pretty amazing machines!
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

Spart wrote:Saw one fly over at the Chiefs home opener last year. They're pretty amazing machines!
Yeah I've seen one fly over my house but they usually never let people take pictures of them. :) The people going to the event have to have full background checks to be let in.
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

I'll only be really jealous if you get to go inside the cockpit area. :D
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

Sooooo,are we meeting at Chic-Fil-A or what????????? :? :?
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s