CIMC-KCME Joint Drive, May 19th 11AM, Bethany MO

KC MINI Club Announcements & Welcome Info
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: CIMC-KCME Joint Drive, May 19th 11AM, Bethany MO

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Spart wrote:I drove quite a bit of the route this weekend, some of it in reverse.
I also drove part of it this past Sunday. I got to downtown Bethany and found my way south on US 69. I'm thinking the KC group should leave Liberty heading north on I-35 then exit at Exit 68 (US 69) - second exit north of Cameron. Then follow US 69 all the way up to Bethany.

Even found a shortcut from the south into downtown Bethany via backstreets that could be interesting depending on how many cars we have in the KC caravan.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

BLUGOOSE wrote:Sooooo,are we meeting at Chic-Fil-A or what????????? :? :?
I'm deferring to the northlanders to come up with a good location. I'm happy with whatever - just make sure it is easy for us to exit as a group and get to I-35 without a bunch of left-hand turns across traffic. All right-hand turns would be ideal.
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

Yeah, where we gonna meet up for the drive north? Time, etc.
Mr. F56
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

I propose that we leave the northland at 9am. I'm happy to lead the caravan north. I just scouted the route into downtown Bethany this afternoon and are we good to go.

So, show up as early as you want and have a leisurely morning. At 9am, have a full tank, an empty bladder, and any treats you need for the morning. Plus bring an FRS two-way radio if you have one (or two if you have one to share).

Location, I'm assuming, is the Chick-fil-a, which appears to be at 110 N Conistor Ln Liberty, MO 64068. That is at the MO 152 exit of I-35.

Frank - is that the one you have in mind?

Does that work for everyone?
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
S-car-go
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by S-car-go »

I want to try and make this if I don't need to work. Summer is stupid busy at my job and sometimes interferes with my play time :D
2012 Reef Blue Clubman "S" Hampton, auto, cold weather, driving lights.
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

Hope you make it!
Issigonis

Post by Issigonis »

New to the group, wish I could make this one sounds like fun. Looking forward to other events. Enjoy!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

So, meeting in Liberty at 8:30 am then, leaving for Bethany at 9:00, is that right? Are we going up I-35 or taking the back way up 69 hiway that Spart recommended?

I'll meet you there in Liberty, only I'm going to run just down the block a bit to Lamar's first and get a donut and some milk, then I'll see you all at the Chik-fil-A......

Is anyone going to have a vid camera mounted up and running?

Who's our "official" photographer for the event? I nominate Greg - he's got a good eye and gets good "people" shots.

I also have a pair of walkie talkies, but the range is very limited - pretty much in sight only, or about 1/2 mile.

We could also just exchange cell numbers, as long as there's service up there.

Looks like only 5 or 6 of us going up from KC? After all this notice, I'd think there would have been more interest in such a great ride.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

Dave, do you have an address for your meet point in Liberty? If so, I'll post it to the Facebook page.

I'm going to bring a couple of walkies and my DSLR as well.

Roger Sitterly from the DSM group has a good camera as well. There will be plenty of photos, but I promise to post mine. :)

Here are my pics from the April CIMC event: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 585&type=1
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Minidave wrote:So, meeting in Liberty at 8:30 am then, leaving for Bethany at 9:00, is that right? Are we going up I-35 or taking the back way up 69 hiway that Spart recommended?
Who's our "official" photographer for the event? I nominate Greg - he's got a good eye and gets good "people" shots.

I am planning to lead the caravan from KC. The planned route is I-35 north to Exit 68 (US 69) north to Bethany. I'm thinking about a brief stop at the 'ghost town' that is on our route.

Show up at Chick-fil-a as early as you want. I plan to leave PRECISELY at 9am -- so if you plan to participate, be there by 8:45am at the latest so we can get organized. I plan to be there about 8:30am.

( James, that puts us at the square of Bethany around 10:45am. )

Again, be prepared for the trip with a full tank, empty bladder, and snacks/treats for our drive to Bethany for lunch.

Radios: I will have both my FRS radios - I can loan one of mine out.

Camera: I will certainly take some photos, but don't claim to be a photographer. I encourage everyone to bring a camera and share their best photos afterwards.
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

James, the address is in the post 5 above your last one....

See you all there, weather is looking promising! :elec:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

So, we did this event today and I don't know about anyone else, but I had a fantastic time!

Wait till you see the vids of some of those roads!

You all missed a great run today!

We also met a whole bunch of really nice folks from Iowa and it was super getting to see some new MINIs and their owners.

Vids and pics later tonight..

Thanks a bunch to James Flowers (Spart on this board) for putting this together, it was a lot of work and he really had it all dialed in!

Well done, James!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

Thanks Dave! I definitely look forward to doing this again next year.

Had a lot of fun today, thanks to all who showed up! I'll work on getting pictures posted later.
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Charlotte and I had a magnificent time with the Iowa gang. Thanks James for putting this ride together for us. Some of us enjoyed lunch at the Toot Toot Restaurant and it was fantastic as well. Just wait to see the video of some of the roads. :D
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

I don't know about everone else but I had a great time.Excellent job James,I look forward to next years event.(It will be pretty hard to top this years event though).Thanks again.-Frank
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

BLUGOOSE wrote:I don't know about everone else but I had a great time.Excellent job James,I look forward to next years event.(It will be pretty hard to top this years event though).Thanks again.-Frank
I think you will find it better next year, because this year's route had to skip the *best* part of 69 I know about, the 8 mile stretch just north of Bethany.

They started tearing it up within the last week, so we had to take that boring arrow-straight detour to Ridgeway.

Next year, it will be freshly resurfaced!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

That roller coaster road was a ton of fun, I'm uploading a short clip of it right now, next year I'll be running it "at speed' with the rest of the "spirited" group! :D

There are tons of great roads like this in Missouri, you just have to drive a bit to get to them, next season I think we should plan a weekend run to the Ozarks, I know some great roads down there!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

Minidave wrote:That roller coaster road was a ton of fun, I'm uploading a short clip of it right now, next year I'll be running it "at speed' with the rest of the "spirited" group! :D

There are tons of great roads like this in Missouri, you just have to drive a bit to get to them, next season I think we should plan a weekend run to the Ozarks, I know some great roads down there!
I like that idea.

There was a road that I ran across entirely by accident that had a ton of fun curves. It starts in the old part of Liberty I think, and goes north? Don't recall exactly, I happened upon it when I decided to take the long way home from playing army on the weekend one day. Wish I could find it again, the really tight corners tend not to show up on maps!
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

My pics: CIMC-KCME Joint Drive 2012

You should be able to view them even if you aren't on Facebook. If you are on Facebook and you're not a member of the group, join!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Here's a fun snippet from along the road, don't get squeamish! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djyn-7aN ... ature=plcp

And this wasn't the worst part of the dipsydoodles!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

You missed the first few hilly turns at the beginning - shucks.

Doesn't do justice to how steep those hills are. I love it when they go in without bulldozing everything and just paint a road over the landscape.