Going to Hermann, MO

Post your favorite places to motor. Routes with lots of hills and turns are welcome.
Skyeflyr

Going to Hermann, MO

Post by Skyeflyr »

Hello everyone. I want to share a new "motoring" route that my wife and I discovered this past weekend. We took our Mini on its first road trip, and had a blast. We drove to Hermann, MO, but took the boring I-70 route to get there on Saturday. That can stretch of road can get rough when you have low profile tires. Can someone please call the Missouri DOT and ask them to fix the roads for us Mini drivers??!!?? There were holes in the road bigger than our car.

Anyhow, the trip to Hermann wasn't the exciting part of the drive, but that was saved for the drive home on Sunday. We left Hermann on Route 94 just north of town and took the back roads to Fulton, Missouri. Just follow the signs (or use navigation if you have it). The road winds through the hills and valleys surrounding that area. The Mini navigated many 35-40 mph curves at about 55 mph. It was a total blast to drive.

Once you get into Fulton don't forget to visit the Berlin Wall display (very cool), and see the Churchill museum. The Mini looked right at home next to the statue of Churchill on the campus of Westminster College. The stares the Mini got while we were on campus were great.

On a side note my wife and I also found a relatively inexpensive bed & breakfast in Hermann that only has two guest rooms so you get more privacy. The home was a beautiful Victorian and our hosts were fantastic. If you are interested just e-mail me and I'll send the details.

Let us know if you make the same trip and what you thought. Happy Motoring!
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

I didn't make the same trip to Herman, but passed through there on a three-day trip in June '06. I totally agree that the interstates are pretty aweful (and boring) in Missouri. I was very amazed and delighted to find that nearly every secondary rural route that I drove (the majority of my trip) was very well maintained and had very little traffic. Scenic route 19 from Arkansas border northbound towards I-70 is incredible! Remarkable rollercoaster hills and even banked turns. IT IS A MUST DO route!

:D
BrassMonkey

Post by BrassMonkey »

its kinda bringing the post back from the dead but I grew up in Montgomery City. That is 20miles north of hermann on hwy 19. If anyone you are ever out this way again drop me line and I will give you some very nice directions on the best scenic/spirited driving roads around. Same goes for here around columbia/jeff city, and the lake area!