Removing Unused Accounts

Non-MINI/Mini discussion

Is it ok to remove old, unused usernames?

yes
94%
no
6%

Total votes: 18

RojoCohete

Removing Unused Accounts

Post by RojoCohete »

I'd like to prune the username database. Primarily remove usernames created in 2003 or 2004 with ZERO posts. Cleaning is a good thing. Does anyone have any concerns about doing this?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Make it so................ :lol:

That will get rid of about 150 accts, maybe you should consider removing any account with no posts in the last 3 years?

As an aside, is there a way to send a PM to more than one person at a time?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

Minidave wrote: As an aside, is there a way to send a PM to more than one person at a time?
Not that I've been able to figure out. There is a mass (to everyone) email feature if you need. A moderator or Administrator can send out a mass message for you.
Last edited by RojoCohete on Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marlow Main
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Marlow Main »

A little fall cleaning sounds good.... thanks for taking care of this of us!!!!
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

60 views, 12 replies... not bad.

I've cleaned out more than 60 accounts so far. If they are members that just don't post, well then they can still read even without an active account, so no damage done in that regard.
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

So it was a good day for KCMINICLUB forums behind the scenes. Recent code changes meant that for the first time since i've been doing account administration, zero spam/bot accounts were successfully submitted. Normally i'd get 15-20 that I'd have to research and if found to be spam, delete the account and deny the request. Very manual. Today, none.!!! :D
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well done!

I used to get a laugh or too reading some of the names................good riddance tho.

Think you could help me figure out how to stop getting the 50 -100 spam emails I get every day at work?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Still over 100 people who have never posted...............I wonder if a club generated email inviting them to join in would help?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

so what would be the consensus of a fair amount of time being a member without posting?

and while I can send a mass email, it goes to your message box for this message board. most people don't even know they can have messages here. I can send email to you registered email, but it's one at a time.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

1 year? 2 years?

Seems like if you haven't posted in a year, you aren't going to............

And as long as they can still get in to read...........

I guess we don't have "outside" email addys for everyone.

It would take some work, but maybe a letter via snail mail to invite them to visit and post? Just throwing ideas out...........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

Clearing out inactive accounts makes sense to me. Keep the machine lean. I presume any of those removed could easily begin a new account if they choose? For example, I've had an account on Minimania since June 2007 and haven't made a post yet. I do check out their forums, probably every other day. I just haven't felt or had the need to make posts. IF my Minimania account were deleted for no posts--I wouldn't mind--I'd just sign up again, and probably make a few posts here and there to keep it active.

I forgot to answer the question...

Two years seems like a pretty long time for inactivity. Dumb question, but can moderators or webmasters easily track whether any of the inactive accounts/members are reading forums, but not posting? I wouldn't delete accounts if I knew folks were logging in and reading the forums, but choosing not to post replies. I had spent nearly 2 years on NAM before ever choosing to become "active" and making posts/replies.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Good Points...............
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

dimini wrote:Two years seems like a pretty long time for inactivity. Dumb question, but can moderators or webmasters easily track whether any of the inactive accounts/members are reading forums, but not posting? I wouldn't delete accounts if I knew folks were logging in and reading the forums, but choosing not to post replies. I had spent nearly 2 years on NAM before ever choosing to become "active" and making posts/replies.
no we can't see if they are reading, but even if you're account is deleted, you can still read. you don't need an account to view.
KangaMINI
Website Admin
Website Admin

Post by KangaMINI »

Just to chime in-

The only problem with inactive accounts is that some of them are people that were around from the very beginning... Why rush to erase the presence of the clubs founders?

Also, the database that this runs on isn't going to be slowed by 120 extra accounts.. the entire database for the forums is only about 2.8 MB. The users table isn't even 72 kilobytes.

So its not really harming anything letting those accounts remain, other than no one else can use those usernames.

:cheers:
KangaMINI
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

i guess rich part of the reasoning was to get a better idea of the true active community
KangaMINI
Website Admin
Website Admin

Post by KangaMINI »

I just emailed you a lovely excel file that has useful information that I just freshly massaged out of the database for you :)
KangaMINI