MiniDave's MiniShop

Non-MINI/Mini discussion
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

MiniDave's MiniShop

Post by Minidave »

Is about to get an upgrade!

No, I still can't fit a lift in there - low ceilings, remember?

But, I'm going to do something to make it more liveable year round.

I found a deal on a nice, big, powerful HVAC window unit and it's winging it's way to my garage as we speak!

So, not only will I be able to work in the winter, I'll have a nice cool, unhumid place to work in the heat of the summer too! Of course, opening the garage doors to let cars in and out will completely cancel the value of running the A/C unit, so it probably won't help on our summer MINI shop days, but it might in winter when the door tends to be open for a much shorter time!

I'm going to frame it into the window opening on the north side of the garage, and due to the size and electrical load I'll have to run a 220V dedicated circuit over there from the main panel, but once done it should really make a difference. Now that I'm mostly retired, I intend to spend a little more time out there, and making it more comfortable will let me do that.

I've got a few projects in mind and before I can get started on them I need to reorganize the tools and shelves and see if I can carve out a little more room to work, I think I might paint the walls white and get a little more light in there too.

More as it happens!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ToddH

Re: MiniDave's MiniShop

Post by ToddH »

If you need a strong back and a weak mind give me a ring; you likely have the 24x7 number now. I'd love to return the favor.
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

ToddH wrote:If you need a strong back and a weak mind give me a ring; you likely have the 24x7 number now. I'd love to return the favor.
If you need someone to help with an improved garage layout, my business is in space planning as well. I could draw up a floor plan and rearrange things for ya.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

I'm pretty good at sweeping floors or any help I can be :)
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Thanks guys, I still have some figuring to do and some materials to buy, then I can run the electrical and get the opening framed out and ready - THEN I can use some muscle to help lift it into place. It will be nice being able to go down there on a cold winter day an putter around in comfort. Even better to be able to go down to the shop in the heat and humidity of a summer day and not pass out from 10 minutes work!

Of course, what I'd really rather have is a nice 40X60 with 14ft ceilings and a nice couple of lifts in it like Todd's dad has..........oh well...... :roll:

Zack, thanks for the offer - feel free to sketch all you want! I've been thinking about ways to improve things too, but there's only so much room and there's a lot of tools and stuff in there!

Davester, I'll reserve you a broom!

Although I usually just fire up the leaf blower to clean it out! :lol:

(No seriously, it works well!)
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

guess I forgot to finish this thread - well - it's in!

and it works! it's so nice when it's freezing a$$ cold to be able to go in there and kick on the heat, and in a few minutes be in a T-shirt instead of coats and gloves! Don't know what this is going to do to the electric bill, but I'm not sure I care.....I pretty carefully caulked and insulated around it so that should help.

Here's a pic of it mostly finished, now that the weather has warmed a bit (if it stops raining) I can go ahead and paint the framing and reglaze the window above - the one pane that's missing literally fell out on the ground because the glazing had dried up'
Attachments
IMG_1996R.jpg
IMG_1996R.jpg (72.74 KiB) Viewed 6525 times
IMG_1997R.jpg
IMG_1997R.jpg (96.38 KiB) Viewed 6526 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

Nice job Dave! Bring on the summer.
2003 Dark Silver Metallic MINI Cooper S.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

This weekend, now that it's warmed up, I have to replace the missing window pane and repoint and reglaze all the others. I'm also thinking whether I can figure out a way to reinstall the storm window over the upper part only, since that stuff is just single pane glass, to try and help insulate it against that cold northern winter wind.

I'm also installing some more shop lights, there are a couple of corners of the shop that are pretty dark when you're down under a car.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"