KC BMW Flat Out - HPT June 8-10

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
JRutherford

KC BMW Flat Out - HPT June 8-10

Post by JRutherford »

2012 Inaugural "Flat Out" Classic
June 8-10 Heartland Park - Topeka, KS
More info: http://www.flatoutclassic.com

Registration open! This event includes activities for all types of car enthusiasts. Even if you are not interested in driving, please consider coming to participate in the free car show - we hope to see a lot of Minis!

This is a car lover's dream event you'll never forget! The Great Plains, Kansas City, Sunbelt and St. Louis chapters of the BMW Car Club of America announce the inaugural Flat Out Classic to be held in Topeka, Kansas from June 8 - 10. The Flat Out Classic is an automotive festival featuring several events that appeal to a diverse group of enthusiasts. Car lovers from across the US will gather at Heartland Park Topeka to participate in a high-performance driving school, car control clinic, autocross and car show. It's an opportunity for you to drive the same professional level race track that has been on ESPN, ABC and SPEED TV.

There's something for everyone at this event. Want to drive your car on a professional track? Track veteran? We've got you covered. Do you enjoy autocross or always wanted to try? Our autocross school and event features top-notch instructors and a course design by national autocross veterans. Just want to get your feet wet and see what this is all about? Participate in the car control clinic. Do you prefer to show your car? Come join us for the car show. Or, just come visit!

This groundbreaking event celebrating our passion for automobiles is made possible by the support of the event's title sponsor, BMW of Lincoln. While BMW is the festival's featured marque other brands such as Audi, Corvette, Ford, Mercedes, MINI, Pontiac, Porsche, Subaru and Volkswagen are expected. Event registration is now open.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: KC BMW Flat Out - HPT June 8-10

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

:shock: I think I need to do the Autocross school. It's only $40. :D (Must find helmet....)
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

I'm going autocrossing at Heartland Park this weekend. Steph you should come. Also I'd love to do the car show thing if it weren't for the fact that my parents anniversary is that weekend/week.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Zackattack28 wrote:I'm going autocrossing at Heartland Park this weekend. Steph you should come. Also I'd love to do the car show thing if it weren't for the fact that my parents anniversary is that weekend/week.
If I'd known sooner I would go but I've already got plans this weekend.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

For those interested in the autox school, please sign up quickly as registration is filling up. $40 for instruction, autox, dinner and t-shirt can't be beat!

For those interested in show, please get registered - we really hope to have a MINI presence!
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

This will be a great weekend of automotive enjoyment. If nothing else just go and watch. Parade laps around the track are usually done at noonish. For a donation ( usually $10 ) you'll get 8-10 laps on the track.Parade laps can be somewhat spirited, depending on the pace car.
If you intend to do the auto- x at MITM' the auto- x school would be quite benefical. $40.00 for school, an auto- x, t-shirt and a dinner is an excellent bargain.
Mr. F56
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yep, I encourage anyone who has even a passing interest in the performance abilities of their MINI to go do at least the autocross, you won't hurt your car or tear up your tires or brakes.

It's also a great opportunity for someone who'd like to get the feel of the track before laying out the money for a DE, just do some parade laps to get the lay of the land so to speak, and learn what a DE is all about.

For those wanting to learn how to drive your car properly and learn it's capabilities, a DE like this is an excellent opportunity!

Then join us at Touring Laps to practice what you've learned.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

We have a few Minis signed up for the DE and autox ---- event is coming up! :mrgreen:
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Registered for the Autocross school. :)
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Why is an event being posted for this when you have to be a member of the BMW Club in order to participate in the Car Show or even the Autocross? Doesn't make any sense.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Our cars are BMW's and we are invited to participate in their club events sometimes. I've attended one of their HPDE events before. :D
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Hagar46 wrote:Our cars are BMW's and we are invited to participate in their club events sometimes. :D
Well unfortunately Steph signed up for the autocross event and was told that because she isn't part of the BMW Club she can't participate.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

I must have paid the small fee to "join" their club then.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

No membership is necessary to participate in the car show or to spectate in any event. Membership is open to anyone who wishes to join, BMW ownership is not necessary (though MINI is certainly a BMW product).
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

I got an email yesterday stating you have to be a member of the BMWCCA in order to participate in any events.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Is BMW club membership required due to insurance?

I had forgotten you need to be a member of the sponsoring club to run one of their events, it's the same for the Audi club when they run their DE.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

They say the IRS told them that their revenue has to come from "club members". A membership is another $48. If I had known this before I had already paid my $40 I wouldn't have paid at all. But it's so convenient for them to offer no refunds. I'm not spending $88 to learn how to do autocross when I can pay $100 to race a proper track. And I still have to get a helmet.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, I hear you....but, you will learn lots of things at the AutoX that also apply to running on the racetrack, and you get to learn them at lower speeds.......it could actually be of good value to you - and you do need a helmet if you're going to do any track events, so that's a given.

Since you're already in for the $40, rather than lose it, maybe go ahead and run this event, then you'll be more ready to tackle the road course? Think of it as an investment in yourself. You'll also get to run the parade laps so you can get a feel for the layout of the roadcourse, that way it won't all be completely new the first time you run it.

There is so much to learn and it all comes at you so fast the first time, maybe this would be a good way to get your feet wet?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

I would go if I had the 48 more dollars to pay for their stupid membership.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Looks like they've put up now that you have to be a member on their registration page but you only have to be a member if you're doing the autocross stuff. If you're paying the 300+ dollars for the road course stuff you just so happen to not need to pay for their membership. Apparently the IRS will just overlook that profit.... -_-
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Really? that seems all wrong to me, in the past you had to join the club to run the DE, maybe they include club membership in the DE fees?

At any rate, I can't understand not refunding your autocross money if the note about joining the club at additional cost wasn't part of the autocross registration.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

I haven't heard anything from them after phone calls and emails about the refund and they just took the $40 out of my account. I tried Zach's helmet on today and it fits so at least I don't have to buy a helmet right now. Talked to David about it and I'm just going to give them $48 and do the event. Hopefully it'll be fun. Just mad that I'm having to pay more than what they originally said.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I think you'll have a great time and learn a lot......................so go for it! :cheers:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Does anyone know if spectators are free?
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

I assume so
Bruno - 2022 JCW