September Shop Day - UPDATE!

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: September Shop Day - UPDATE!

Post by Minidave »

Or you could just go on vacation and not worry about it, since you've already helped so many times! :lol:

There will be more shop days in the future, I'm sure......
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Sorry to miss it! Other plans that day.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
MiniMax
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniMax »

Wow looks like a busy day. Still have room for me to change out my rear brake pads? My brake fluid was changed last summer so I think I just need the pads. I haven't inspected my rotors that closely but I'm thinking with only 40k miles I should be OK (please tell me if I'm wrong. Aside from the rear pads and a sensor, what else do I need to purchase? If there's time, I could also do an oil change but that could wait till a later date. I purchased a bluetooth OBD2 transmitter and have an app on my phone that shows and clears codes and displays all kinds of gauges. I'll bring it to the garage day to let people play with it. (I like toys) Oh, one more thing. Am I still the "new" guy? Should I bring the donuts ? (I may anyways, I like donuts).

MiniMax
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Max, we'll find a way to get yours done too, no problema, might be a bit of a long day but as long as you all want to work, I'm OK with it.

If you brought before, you're off the hook for this one.

Rear pads and one rear sensor should be all you need, and of course your oil and filter. Your rotors should be fine......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Everyone who is working on or having work done on their cars should chip in to help pay for the shop supplies that MINIdave always supplies to each of us. That includes oil, water, anti-seize, shop rags, lube of all kinds and the use of his tools and his house. How many of our wife's would be nice enough to let us host a garage day at our house? Just a few bucks each is a hell of a lot cheaper than Barons or anyone else fees. Dave has never asked for anything except donuts. It's just a thought -- What do y'all think? :P
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

Just put him in a room with donuts and air conditioning and he could go all day long. :saywhat:
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

davester wrote:Everyone who is working on or having work done on their cars should chip in to help pay for the shop supplies that MINIdave always supplies to each of us. That includes oil, water, anti-seize, shop rags, lube of all kinds and the use of his tools and his house. How many of our wife's would be nice enough to let us host a garage day at our house? Just a few bucks each is a hell of a lot cheaper than Barons or anyone else fees. Dave has never asked for anything except donuts. It's just a thought -- What do y'all think? :P

I think that's a swell idea, Davester!

Not that I mind y'all in our garage (always happy to host), but I'll chip in to send the mister across town to use someone else's garage and expertise any day. :lol:
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

If you have space I'd like to join. Apparently my car just needed its 60,000 mile check so I'd like to do an oil change.
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

You wanna come over a little later like last time or first thing? I'm thinking we'll have a couple of brake jobs in the shop first so if you want to come a little later that could work out better. Don't forget your oil and filter, OK?

How many of our wife's would be nice enough to let us host a garage day at our house?

Hmmm.......that question is a can of worms I would not want to open! :lol:

But for the record and by agreement, the garage is mine and the kitchen is hers, we each stay out of the other's "'cave"...... :D
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Weather is looking promising, supposed to be a high of 75* and sunny, so we should be able to work in the driveway as well as inside.

:chili: :black: :brg: :ds: :elec: :indi: :ps: :chili: :black: :brg: :ds: :elec: :indi: :ps: :chili:

If you haven't been to a shop day before, please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the shop rules, here

Shop Day Rules
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Minidave wrote:You wanna come over a little later like last time or first thing? I'm thinking we'll have a couple of brake jobs in the shop first so if you want to come a little later that could work out better. Don't forget your oil and filter, OK?
I was going to come over a little later in the day and I still owe you a quart of oil and a filter.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
GrayGuy
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: August Shop Day

Post by GrayGuy »

minicoopers43, I'll take it. Please bring it along Sat. and I'll pay up then. Thanks, Steve

@GrayGuy, I have 2 bottles of transaxle fluid that I haven't used, it's yours for $20 if you haven't gotten any yet. This is what I have.. http://www.waymotorworks.com/redline-mtl.html[/quote]
2005 S, Black on Dark Silver, Hood stripes, Rubber floor mats/winter package, CAI, 19% Pulley
danielschleig

Post by danielschleig »

Hello all!

I'm new to the KC area and this forum. I'd love to attend the shop day on Saturday if you have any space available for a newbie.

I have an '06 R53 S manual that is having some trouble at the moment. The clutch locks up and I can't switch gears when the car is on. I've had a couple people take a quick look and their proposed solution has swayed from me needing to replace the slave/master cylinder or to replace the clutch in total.

Unfortunately, I don't know as much about my MINI (or cars for that matter) as I would like to. But, I would like to stop by the shop day to see if you all may be able to help me diagnose the issue. I'd welcome recommendations for someone that could fix my issue, or if it is something one of you all could tackle, I'd be happy to schedule a time to do it.

Overall, it would be great to chat with some fellow MINI enthusiasts.

Thanks.
--
Daniel
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Wow, what a day! The last cars just left a few minutes ago, but we got everything done that we needed too....

3 complete brake jobs, 1 rear only set, lots of oil changes, couple of brake flushes and a full set of struts changed in one long day. Thanks to everyone who came and worked - it was truly a MINI community effort.

Next time we'll have to co-ordinate the donuts better, we wound up with 5 dozen! I parceled the remaining ones out to the last stragglers so none went to waste.

Everyone worked well together and helped each other and a lot of new knowledge was gained all around!

The weather could not have been better, with a wonderful cool breeze all day, and fortunately by lunch time the driveway was completely in shade for the rest of the day.
Attachments
IMG_1750R.jpg
IMG_1750R.jpg (135.99 KiB) Viewed 6778 times
IMG_1751R.jpg
IMG_1751R.jpg (87.06 KiB) Viewed 6778 times
IMG_1755R.jpg
IMG_1755R.jpg (117.17 KiB) Viewed 6778 times
IMG_1757R.jpg
IMG_1757R.jpg (97.82 KiB) Viewed 6778 times
IMG_1759R.jpg
IMG_1759R.jpg (197.63 KiB) Viewed 6778 times
IMG_1758R.jpg
IMG_1758R.jpg (167.49 KiB) Viewed 6778 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Thank you Dave for all your help and offering up your garage space and tools. I'll be sure to message you when I get the oil supply line in so we can get that done soon (went over 57,000 miles today)
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
saturn

Post by saturn »

Was so great to see everyone, and yes, what absolutely perfect weather!
Dave a huge THANK YOU
for putting up with all us and for loaning out your space and knowledge.
Your students have themselves an excellent teacher!!!!!
duhgrif

Post by duhgrif »

Hey everyone, the absolutely most appreciative thank you to all. I often find it is just so much easier to tackle any task, if you just have a friend nearby. I feel like I have gained so many in one day. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! If you ever are traveling north toward Smithville Lake, I know a couple of twisty roads (I think suggested speed is 45). PM me if you would like directions. Oh and sorry not to post sooner, I had to take my wife out to dinner at Olive Garden.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I was a bit under the weather so to speak yesterday so thanks to all who stepped in and made it all work, I strained my back at school and it was still bothering me a lot but I went to bed early last night and feel a whole lot better after a good night's rest.

Steph points out something that I think we'll be tackling on a number of R56's, the loose oil pressure line to the turbo - we'll do hers first and learn what's involved - she says the job is supposed to take 5 hrs but Baron quotes 8! I have a feeling it's not that hard, you just have to remove a lot of "stuff" to get to it so it's time consuming. We'll find out soon enough, she's ordered her parts.......

Congrats to all who finished their work successfully yesterday, and happy motoring!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
GrayGuy
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by GrayGuy »

As always had a great time hanging out and helping where I could. Couldn't have asked for a nicer day to be in the driveway at a wrenching party. Thanks for hosting Super Dave, you're the best!
2005 S, Black on Dark Silver, Hood stripes, Rubber floor mats/winter package, CAI, 19% Pulley
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

When's the next garage/shop day? I have an October 21st autocross and have the time since my 8 week classes ended to take care of my rear sway bar.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW