Grand Am Race

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Grand Am Race

Post by Hagar46 »

Anyone going to the races on Friday or Saturday at Kansas Speedway? http://www.kansasspeedway.com/Vanity-Pa ... edule.aspx :mrgreen:
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Grand Am Race

Post by Minidave »

I'm going Friday afternoon, cause it's free! :mrgreen:

Dimini is supposed to go along too.

We probably won't go till about 6, thanks for posting the event schedule!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

I was thinking of going Friday also. :D Are you guys going to meet some place?
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

We haven't made any plans yet, we usually wind up in turn 1 someplace, but PM me your cell and we'll call or text you when we get to the track.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
PdMotorsports

Post by PdMotorsports »

I'll be there Friday night!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Cool, access is thru gate D, on the west end (near turn 1), that's where we'll be unless we're down in the paddock looking at cars.

I should be there between 5 and 6 pm.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

I plan to be there by 6 pm. :D
George

Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I'll send you a text when we get there, I think the only place to get in is Gate D, over at turn 1, there's parking lot right there also - that's what we used back in March when some of the cars came for a test weekend.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Really enjoyed the racing and the company of Don, Dave, and friends. Great evening, great weather, and it was free! :D
George

Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

That was fun, and for the few hundred people that showed up, they saw some impressive racing!

I don't know why motorsports fare so poorly in KC, cause we have fantastic venues both at Ks Speedway and Heartland Park, and when they run the events at night like this the weather is no longer a factor.

The two races will be on Fox Sports at 2 pm and 7 pm today.

Considering the small attendance, I'll bet cheap tix are all over the net today, go check it out if you want to see some really fast cars (the Lambo's were hitting 225!) and some great racing by top drivers, at your home town track! And free parking!

Ferraris on the front row for the 2 o'clock race, and Ganassi's team has the pole for the Daytona Prototypes at 7 tonight.

Oh, and if you go, take earplugs!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

BTW, if you want to watch the races live, you're out of luck unless your provider carries both Fox Sports 1 and 2.

In the case of #$%^%$#$%% Time Warner, since Fox split the Speed Channel into two channels - FS1 carries the delayed broadcasts, and FS2 carries them live - you can only get FS2 from Time Warner by buying yet another expensive premium package.

@#$%&&%$%^^& Time Warner.

I so want Google to come to my neighborhood so I can tell ##$%^&&&%^$ Time Warner to pound sand.

It's hard to spur interest in a racing series when you only get to see the action a week after it happens, and tape edited with hours of commercials added in and obnoxious announcers who can't shut up talking over the top all the time.

/rant
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Ditto, Minidave! :evil: :evil: :evil:
George

mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

I am sorry I missed this. I had it on my calendar for months but higher priority matters came up.

Only a few hundred showed up? That is really disappointing! There was a classic sports car racing event at HPT a few years ago that was very poorly promoted. I found out about it by accident. I went and I think there were only a few hundred in attendance. Again, very poorly promoted. I met the promoter at the next Art of the Machine and talked with him about it. I offered to help promote his next one but he stated that, due to the financial hit he took on that one, there would not be another. A real shame.

There was also a story in the KC Star that, due to the merger of the 2 racing series, this would probably be the last Grand Am race here.
Dan McConnell
SCCA-Sports Car Club of America.
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

The first and last Grand Am race here? :( They only just opened the road course!
George

Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I think the Indy cars will be using it when they come back.....but I could be wrong since they run ovals too.

It's not a good layout for vintage sports cars tho, too much time spent at wide open throttle......I think one of the teams said they're at redline 91% of the time here......old cars won't survive that.

I don't understand what happened to interest in cars and racing here, this used to be a town that was really involved in cars, now it seems the only series we support is NASCAR.

Time change, I guess.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

Here Dave: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/08/15/44 ... ansas.html

Instead of saying "would probably" I should have said "could possibly".
Dan McConnell
SCCA-Sports Car Club of America.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, the other tracks mentioned are true road courses with long term histories, it's natural that they'd have priority. Even some of the street venues might be more attractive, if only because they have great turnouts - Long Beach and St. Pete come to immediate mind.

I'd rather see these guys racing at Heartland Park, but if it's an August race it will be hard to get people to go when it's 105º and humid, there's no shade there at all.

Hard to imagine that ISC would spend the money to get the Kansas Speedway course built then not use it ever again - it looked quite a bit more challenging and fun from the in-car camera views.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

Minidave wrote:BTW, if you want to watch the races live, you're out of luck unless your provider carries both Fox Sports 1 and 2.

In the case of #$%^%$#$%% Time Warner, since Fox split the Speed Channel into two channels - FS1 carries the delayed broadcasts, and FS2 carries them live - you can only get FS2 from Time Warner by buying yet another expensive premium package.

@#$%&&%$%^^& Time Warner.

I so want Google to come to my neighborhood so I can tell ##$%^&&&%^$ Time Warner to pound sand.

It's hard to spur interest in a racing series when you only get to see the action a week after it happens, and tape edited with hours of commercials added in and obnoxious announcers who can't shut up talking over the top all the time.

/rant
torrents