How about a "Rush" Party?

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

How about a "Rush" Party?

Post by Minidave »

...............this weekend?

for those who don't know, Ron Howard's much anticipated Formula 1 movie opens tomorrow. I've been waiting for this movie for over a year, and I have carefully avoided the previews and commercials so as not to taint the experience.

The official storyline.....

Set against the sexy, glamorous golden age of Formula 1 racing in the 1970s, the film is based on the true story of a great sporting rivalry between handsome English playboy James Hunt, and his methodical, brilliant opponent, Austrian driver Niki Lauda. The story follows their distinctly different personal styles on and off the track, their loves and the astonishing 1976 season in which both drivers were willing to risk everything to become world champion in a sport with no margin for error: if you make a mistake, you die.

Non-followers of F1 may not know that during this season, Lauda almost lost his life in a terrible crash in which his car burned and he was terribly disfigured; most thought he would never race again, but less than 6 weeks later he was back in his Ferrari and challenging for the title, which came down to the last race and one point between them!

So, anyone up for a movie this weekend? If this weekend doesn't work I could wait till next, after all......I've waited this long!

I'm thinking the Imax at the AMC 30 at I-35 and 119th in Olathe?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: How about a "Rush" Party?

Post by Laurie »

Sorry Dave but the movie doesn't open in KC until later in the month. The release this weekend is "limited". We are seeing it tomorrow at an advanced screening and I know there are others sheduled for later in the month (25th). Screenings are only offered before it is released, so I am betting the release is more like the 27th. Looks like you might have to wait a bit longer :(
~Laurie~

2022 Midnight Black Metalic MINI Cooper SE “Electric Boogie”
2005 Chili Red MCS "Kevin"

2016 Blazing Red Metallic 4 door MCS
RIP 2013 Blazing Red Metallic Justa Countryman

First MINI 2005 Black Eye Purple MCS
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Dang! Oh well, like I said....I've waited this long.

Still, that gives us more time to organize a MINI Rush party!

Who's in?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

I'm in! :D Wasn't Hunt's nick name, "Hunt the Shunt" because he wrecked so often in his early F1 years? :(
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

In like Flynn... :ds:
2003 Dark Silver Metallic MINI Cooper S.
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

If it's on the bill at the IMAX, then I'm in.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

As soon as it's put on the bill, we'll pic a day - any preference for Fri, Sat, or Sunday?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

I have no preferences. Whatever works for the group.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Seems Rush will not be shown in IMAX, so the theatre choice is wide open, I prefer either the Palazzo 16 or the AMC 30 in Olathe.
Any choice on which night? It will be open tomorrow at both those locations - and I'm open for another theatre too.

If no one has a pressing choice, how about Sat at the Pallazzo for the 7:15 show, and meet at Culver's for dinner before at 6?

Hagar, if you're still coming, we can arrange for you to pick up your jack too.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

Have a great time!
I'm booked up this weekend.
I'll look for the torrent on the DVD release date
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Either this Saturday 9/28 or next Saturday 10/5 works for me! :D
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Enjoy!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

We're going this Saturday, anyone who'd like to come along, meet us at Culvers on 135th at Antioch......about 6 for dinner, and the theatre is right across the street.

I've waited a year for this movie, so I'm going to see it tomorrow! :mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Minidave, I'll be there if you want to bring my floor jack. George
George

Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Good movie even if you don't like racing. Thanks for letting me tag along, Dave & Rose. Enjoyed the company! :D
George

Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

For those who haven't seen it is one of the best movies I've seen this year!

Even if you're not into racing there's more than enough plot, intrigue, drama, love interest etc to keep you involved.

For those of us who were watching Formula 1 when this happened and who know the characters (Niki Lauda is still alive and works for the Mercedes F1 team) involved it's a wonderful behind the scenes look at all that happened, and a terrific insight into their characters - wonderful casting BTW - they're talking academy award nomination for Daniel Bruhl, who plays Lauda.

George, we had a great time too, too bad your wife couldn't make it, I think she would have enjoyed the evening.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

I have heard nothing but rave reviews about this movie. A friend got a sneak sneak premier a couple of weeks back and said his wife, who is not into cars at all, really liked it.
Dan McConnell
SCCA-Sports Car Club of America.
MiniMax
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniMax »

Nancy and I went to this movie last night. Fantastic movie. Favorite line from movie " the only thing boys like more than girls is their cars". I highly recommend anyone to go see it (and take their spouse). Nancy loved the story.

Minimax
imabyter
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by imabyter »

Carole and I saw this Tuesday night, and it was great! She is an F1 fan, so she had maybe a little more appreciation of what was going on, but I think everyone would enjoy the story. Very well done.
Michael B (although the MINI is Carole's toy I still get to fix and maintain it)
Luna is an '06 Cooper S Space Blue with Silver top. Sport Package, Premium Package, Euro Leather Package. Now with Way Motors 15% pulley kit!
Minidrama
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidrama »

So what is the story here, has everyone seen the show or is there still going to be a gathering. I might be able to go on Friday Oct. 25 if it is still not too late or if this has not been planned yet.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

So, you didn't read any of the entries in this thread? just went straight to the bottom and posted?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"