November Shop Day - 16th

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

November Shop Day - 16th

Post by Minidave »

We're getting quite a crowd, and my shop is not that big, so we may have to cut off attendance here. Everyone is welcome, I just want to be sure everyone is safe and all the cars are properly attended to.

Although none of this work is too intensive, it can get a bit crazy if we have too many people in at once.

I've been doing a little shop re-organization and cleanup, so I'm shooting for Sat, Nov 16th as the target day......hope I get everything done, if I do we'll have a little more room to work and hang out. *Fingers crossed*

MiniDave..................Professor of Mini-ology and chief donut tester
Minicooper's43...........Brakes, tire rotation, oil change
SWTCHI...................Big Brake kit install
Boxer......................Stop the pop, and lovely assistant
MiniMax...................Firing pins
Counterfit Mini..........Thermostat and coolant flush
nine5raptor..............Donut provider, tranny fluid change and more
DSKSmini.................Brake sensor and coffee provider
Zackattack...............Tire rotator and tool deliverer
imabyter.................Hand lender
tigermini58...............Lovely assistant
MiniManiac...............Donut tester and hand lender
Iowa M1N1................Staff photographer, Facebooker and donut tester
MiniX2.....................Diagnostic on stutter
BlueGoose................Ramp bringerer and lovely assistant, brake flush
Dimini.....................Donut tester and helperer
Davester..................Donut assessor and commode tester
:elec: :chili: :elec: :ps: :indi: :black: :chili: :ps: :chili: :chili: :ps: :black: :brg: :indi: :elec: :chili: :indi: :chili: :ps:

Doors open at 9am, if the weather is bad please come around the side of the garage to the back door so we can keep the big doors closed as much as possible and keep the heat in and the rain/sleet/hail/snow out.

OH, and don't ring the door bell - my wife works nights and will be sleeping. :shock:
Last edited by Minidave on Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 32 times in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: November Shop Day - 16th?

Post by boxer »

If I am around, I'd like to help. Never touched a big brake kit before. :ds: I have a popping sound sometimes when in reverse or forward from a stop. Maybe ball joint or CV joint. Some investigating needed.
2003 Dark Silver Metallic MINI Cooper S.
MiniMax
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniMax »

I'm due for some spark plugs. I just wanted to add that I rotated my own wheels today and I wanted to express my deepest gratitude for MiniDave and the whole group for having these garage days. I know rotating wheels isn't very hard but this group gave me knowledge and most of all, confidence, to do the job. There is something satisfying about doing the job yourself and for that I am grateful. Ok, enough on that, whose bringing the donuts?

MiniMax
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Did you torque your lugs? :D :wink:

Max, always glad to have you!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I need to replace my thermostat but I'll have to let you know if I'll have the part by then...
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
WildThang

Post by WildThang »

I just got a K Brace while I was at MITO 2013. It's four bolts, stiffens the rear subframe up to the main frame. Remove the four bolts, install K Brace with new bolts included with the brace. I want to try this on my 2006 GP. The link shows the bolts etc.

http://autoxcooper.com/axc-ne-suspensio ... ini_cooper

Is this one possible?
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Hey all, new member here. I'd be interested in joining up just to meet a few other MINI owners. I've had my 2010 MCS for 3.5 months now. Done a few small things to it so far but have played around with previous cars from a crawlin' Jeep to a Talon Tsi Awd with larger turbo/injectors/gmmaft/etc.

If you guys have modified exhausts, I'd be interested to hear em. The MINI needs a little more growl. Also if you know a welder who is willing to do a little side work for cash, Midas turned me down on a test pipe :)

Chris
Lees Summit
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

WildThang wrote:I just got a K Brace while I was at MITO 2013. It's four bolts, stiffens the rear subframe up to the main frame. Remove the four bolts, install K Brace with new bolts included with the brace. I want to try this on my 2006 GP. The link shows the bolts etc.

http://autoxcooper.com/axc-ne-suspensio ... ini_cooper

Is this one possible?
Absolutely, come on down!

For those who haven't been to my little shop before, PM me and I'll give you the address.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

nine5raptor wrote:Hey all, new member here. I'd be interested in joining up just to meet a few other MINI owners. I've had my 2010 MCS for 3.5 months now. Done a few small things to it so far but have played around with previous cars from a crawlin' Jeep to a Talon Tsi Awd with larger turbo/injectors/gmmaft/etc.

If you guys have modified exhausts, I'd be interested to hear em. The MINI needs a little more growl. Also if you know a welder who is willing to do a little side work for cash, Midas turned me down on a test pipe :)

Chris
Lees Summit
nine5raptor....of course you're welcome, I'm happy to weld up a test pipe for you - off the car, I'm too old to be welding upside down on the floor under a car! :mrgreen:

(oops, assumes my welder will be back from on loan by then)

don't forget the #1 rule of MiniDave's MiniShop days - new guy brings the Krispy Kremes!

(an assortment is preferred :mrgreen: )
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Krispy Kremes?!?! This is Lamar's Country! I'll see if the wife will let me loose for a bit on the 16th.

I'd be interested in a flanged pipe to go in place of 2nd cat/resonator and corresponding flanges on the stock exhaust. Probably not a saturday thing but will be looking for someone/somewhere to make something like this. Midas just heard 'cut out cat' and sent me packing.
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
DSKSMini

Post by DSKSMini »

I'll come by just to lend a hand. I think Goldie's pretty good at the moment. May need to look at the brake wear sensor. Can't seem to get it the back one to stay put after replacing my brake pads and sensors a few weeks ago, keeps popping out. May need to just replace it.

Just put a set of Michelen Pilot Sport AS/3's on last week. I have to say I'm really liking them compared to the run flats I had on it.

I can bring some coffee.

Daryl
kgreen66
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kgreen66 »

Probably need brake fluid and coolant flush but I have to work that day. :cry: Maybe next time or next spring. Lol.
Hi! I'm Keith!
R53 2006 Chili Red MCS
16% Pulley / DDM CAI
Milltek Cat Back Exhaust
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Do you all change your (manual) tranny fluid? I'm tempted to give mine a swap out. I don't know how many shifts the previous owner missed. :shock:
imabyter
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by imabyter »

I will likely be there to lend a hand, learn more. Don't have any outstanding maintenance at this time.
Michael B (although the MINI is Carole's toy I still get to fix and maintain it)
Luna is an '06 Cooper S Space Blue with Silver top. Sport Package, Premium Package, Euro Leather Package. Now with Way Motors 15% pulley kit!
tigermini58

Post by tigermini58 »

I am a newbie, I just bought my first Mini from Baron Mini last week and would love to meet other Mini Owners in the Area. Please let me know if I can join you all.
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Put me down to assist and rotate my tires.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Tigermini, of course you're welcome....PM me for the address. If you have mechanical experience and want to lend a hand to someone, we'll assign you to a job, otherwise you're welcome to just hang out, and have a donut and some coffee.

Zack, see you there.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
monty
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by monty »

Can you put me down for oil change and a coolent flush and fill.
2015 MINI Cooper S. Thunder Gray/Black roof, cold weather package, sport package, JCW Tuning kit and exhaust.
Name : Handsome Rob
WildThang

Post by WildThang »

I'll be down to turn some wrenches. Cancel the K Brace install. Having some mods installed the week of the 18th so the K Brace is on hold. One of the mods is an exhaust and I'm pretty sure it would be in the way, so it will wait.
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

I may scratch the pipe for now. May order a catback. Anyone's have experience with CNT racing? They are super cheap by comparison.

And I can still be the donut man. Krispy kreme or Lamar's? Or loaf of day old bread cause I'm cheap?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Either is fine, but with 18 people coming 2 dozen + will be a good idea.......(unless it's Lamar's - those suckers are huge!

My garage renovation is coming into it's last phases, so I hope it's done by Saturday. Weather is up and down all this week and next, so who knows whether we'll need heat of be able to have the doors open.

Never heard of CNT racing.....
Last edited by Minidave on Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniMax
MINIAC
MINIAC

Spark plug socket?

Post by MiniMax »

I got my new plugs in the mail and they need a specific socket to place them. Dave, I'm assuming you have the necessary tools. Please let me know if you don't and I will purchase that as well.

MiniMax
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I am trying to free up some time to get out there. I don't need any work but I can certainly lend a hand.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

nine5raptor wrote:Do you all change your (manual) tranny fluid? I'm tempted to give mine a swap out. I don't know how many shifts the previous owner missed. :shock:
Yes. I did, just make sure the oil filter gasket doesn't break and it's on tight or you will have an oil spill reminiscent of the Exxon Valdez.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Max, I have the socket for the plugs, it's a 12 point.

Seth, you're always welcome!

Anyone who needs directions PM me for the address and phone number.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"