November Shop Day - 16th

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: November Shop Day - 16th?

Post by nine5raptor »

Zackattack28 wrote:
nine5raptor wrote:Do you all change your (manual) tranny fluid? I'm tempted to give mine a swap out. I don't know how many shifts the previous owner missed. :shock:
Yes. I did, just make sure the oil filter gasket doesn't break and it's on tight or you will have an oil spill reminiscent of the Exxon Valdez.
Filter gasket?

On that note, I do need to change out the engine oil...
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
DuManchu

Post by DuManchu »

My wife and I plan on stopping by for a little bit. Just want some experienced ears to listen to my R53 to let me know if everything sounds A-OK.

I can also assist with a few things if needed, I'm a fairly seasoned wrencher.
nine5raptor wrote:Do you all change your (manual) tranny fluid? I'm tempted to give mine a swap out. I don't know how many shifts the previous owner missed. :shock:
Just did this a few weeks ago, easy peasy. Do you have the fluid and an 8mm hex-drive socket handy?

If you don't have fluid, I recommend Red Line MTL (what I went with) or Motul Gear 300. You'll need 2 qts.
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Yeah I was planning on Redline. I gotta go shopping for it. I have the getrag so I'll need 3 bottles.

Not sure if I have the socket or not. Will do some digging.
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
DuManchu

Post by DuManchu »

nine5raptor wrote:I have the getrag so I'll need 3 bottles.
Haha, yeah, don't mind me. I'm stuck in "R53 Mode" from NAM, didn't even stop to think if you had anything newer :D
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I have 3 bottles of Redline MT 90 if you want to buy them from me, I have an auto trans so I don't need them.

And FYI, if you buy your filters from Baron they come with the new drain plug gasket and filter canister o-ring. I absolutely recommend getting the R-53 filter from MINI, I don't think the R-56 is as critical, but I still buy them there, the cost is pretty competitive and like I said, it comes with the little extras. The filter canister on the R-56 is plastic (R-53 is aluminum), so it's imperative that you don't over tighten it.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Minidave, you are talking about engine oil right? Not trans.
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Hopefully I can get Oliver fixed when I get back from my brothers wedding. The car is sitting at a repair shop. The EML, battery and check engine light all came on at once and it went into limp mode. Needs a new alternator according to the repair shop. 7 years on the original alternator isn't too bad I suppose.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

nine5raptor wrote:Minidave, you are talking about engine oil right? Not trans.
Re:filters, yes - engine oil.

The MTL 90 is manual transmission fluid, someone was saying they were going to go buy some to change their tranny oil - if so I could save them the trouble as I have three new unopened bottles.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Zackattack28 wrote:Hopefully I can get Oliver fixed when I get back from my brothers wedding. The car is sitting at a repair shop. The EML, battery and check engine light all came on at once and it went into limp mode. Needs a new alternator according to the repair shop. 7 years on the original alternator isn't too bad I suppose.
Does this mean you're NOT coming on Sat? Just checking so I can get a head count.....

Right now the long ranger says the weather should be OK, mid 50's and sunny with little chance of rain. which means it's probably going to snow! :mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Dave I intend to be there. The new alternator will be installed on Tuesday. I get back Wednesday.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Minidave wrote:
nine5raptor wrote:Minidave, you are talking about engine oil right? Not trans.
Re:filters, yes - engine oil.

The MTL 90 is manual transmission fluid, someone was saying they were going to go buy some to change their tranny oil - if so I could save them the trouble as I have three new unopened bottles.
'Twas me. I was on out motoring picking up a few other things and went ahead and bought it. Amsoil looks good as well but I don't like the way they sell it. Too much like Mary Kay.
MiniX4 John
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniX4 John »

Hey Dave and everyone,

I think I will be there to help with whatever I can. I'd like to see what thoughts are on our 05 Mini Cabrio stuttering issue. After it has warmed up a bit, then you turn it off and restart, it tends to stutter and will occasionally stall completely. Fuel pump, fuel filter, or something else? Thanks,

John
"Moxie" Snowberry White RHD 1971 Austin Rover Mini, 1275cc engine, 10" GB wheels with Yokohama Aquos tires, Hella 500's, H9 graphics
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

MiniX2, come on down!

I don't know exactly how much help we'll be as I don't have a fuel pressure tester that's compatible with the high pressure our cars run, but we'll certainly listen to it and see if we can learn anything. Just based on your description I think you're on the right track tho.

BTW, we're in the beginning stages of planning for another run down into So. Mo. in the spring...... if you're interested in taking another run in Moxie, let's start trying to pick a date.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

A couple of members have reminded me to mention that a small donation to cover the costs of expendables is appreciated (but not required or expected) there is a red kitty jar in the shop for that purpose.

I have most everything we'll need to do all of these jobs, but members are encouraged to bring their own tools as well. Just be sure all your stuff is accounted for at the end of the day, and anything that belongs to my shop is returned.

For those who like to work in their own shop the club has some special tools available to loan, for a list see this thread..... viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2024

The tensioner tool is currently out on loan, and I have requested the member who borrowed it to get it back by next Sat's shop day, everything else in in house and available.

I now have 2 floor jacks, one of which is low profile to get under those lowered cars, and 6 jack stands but if we're going to need to lift several cars at once, some extra's may be needed. Blue Goose is bringing his set of ramps which will do fine for an oil change.

Thanks all, see you next Sat.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: November Shop Day - 16th

Post by nine5raptor »

Oh snap! As a new guy, I am impressed with the expected turnout. I don't see many MINIs over my way. Didn't know that many were around and active in KC :chili:
And that's a long list for donuts
:shock:
MiniX4 John
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniX4 John »

Another So.Mo. trip would be awesome! I think MiniManiac would be interested as well. Told him some about our trip last spring.
"Moxie" Snowberry White RHD 1971 Austin Rover Mini, 1275cc engine, 10" GB wheels with Yokohama Aquos tires, Hella 500's, H9 graphics
MiniX4 John
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniX4 John »

Hey Dave,

Here is a link to a fuel pressure test kit for $61.
http://www.emnotek.com/p-3758-mini-coop ... 7AodcXoAtQ

Is this something that would be handy to have for the club?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yes and no, it does help to have the tools, but you also have to know how to interpret the results.....let me study up on it some.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Dave, just saw your note about the size of the group. I have engine oil, tranny oil, and a catback on their way...none of which may get here in time and all of which I can do at home. I will show up and if I can get tranny fluid changed, I will be happy. I can also just help out. My main goal was to see a few other cars and meet a few other folks.

Chris.
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by minicoopers43 »

Thanks for putting me down for the brakes! I ordered them today and should be here in time. I'm also due for an oil change and a tire rotation if time permits.
LaDonna was a 2003 MCS EB. Sold with over 223k miles!!! Best car I ever had!!!
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I may not have the thermostat by Saturday but I will be by to bring you the Bentley manual for the Mini.
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Thanks, Stephi!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

New alternator is installed. Car is running. Picking it up in the morning. See you all at the garage day this weekend.

Dave, I will make sure I have the tensioner tool.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Thanks, Zack.

50% chance of rain on Sat, of course that means there's just as much chance that it won't......... :lol:

We'll see........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Minidave wrote:Thanks, Zack.

50% chance of rain on Sat, of course that means there's just as much chance that it won't......... :lol:

We'll see........
Well Dasher Garage lied. ECU is now malfunctioning and they don't know what is wrong. I may end up not having a car now for some time as they have managed to screw things up ridiculously. Maybe towing it early afternoon tomorrow to Baron if this place still can't fix it. The air box and ECU shouldn't be hanging out of the vehicle with instructions on how to install an alternator printed from Pelican.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S