November Shop Day - 16th

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
SWT CHI

Re: November Shop Day - 16th

Post by SWT CHI »

Ulrich @ Hafkemeyer Motors in Waldo solved my electrical gremlins. Permanently.
Just a thought. A Baron alternative.
Hafkemeyer was the original Bimmer franchise in KC and didn't renew. Thus v2.0 became Baron.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Your car is in Lansing?

Yeah, it's a bit of a job to replace an alternator, especially if you don't know what all you need to do (ie: put the car in service mode)
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Minidave wrote:Your car is in Lansing?

Yeah, it's a bit of a job to replace an alternator, especially if you don't know what all you need to do (ie: put the car in service mode)
Yeah it's in Lansing. They don't exactly know what is wrong with it but I hope they will fix it by tomorrow.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I'm picking up my thermostat and coolant from the dealership Saturday morning. :)
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

Minidave wrote:
50% chance of rain on Sat, of course that means there's just as much chance that it won't......... :lol:

We'll see........
Whether the weather be fine
or whether the weather be not
Whether the weather be cold
or whether the weather be hot
We'll weather the weather
whatever the weather
Whether we like it or not!

Brown sent a text to me stating the brakes were shipped last night RED and will be on my stoop before lunch today!
I am so stoked!
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

MiniManiac...............Donut tester and hand lender

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: November Shop Day - 16th?

Post by nine5raptor »

nine5raptor wrote:
Minidave wrote:
nine5raptor wrote:Minidave, you are talking about engine oil right? Not trans.
Re:filters, yes - engine oil.

The MTL 90 is manual transmission fluid, someone was saying they were going to go buy some to change their tranny oil - if so I could save them the trouble as I have three new unopened bottles.
'Twas me. I was on out motoring picking up a few other things and went ahead and bought it. Amsoil looks good as well but I don't like the way they sell it. Too much like Mary Kay.
Got my trans oil and motor oil but out motoring forgot my filter and scoop hardware. Called em up. Shipping the other items with my second order I placed (for add a brake kit and togggle), sending me a free shirt and refunding shipping. :)

Also cat back should be here today and JCW airbox shipped yesterday :). My wife is gonna kill me when she finds out! :lol: :chili:

For tomorrow, I'll bring my jack stands and floor jack, my bag of tools, oils, and donuts. Oh, and the MINI too.
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

I will be there as a coffee drinker and commode flusher :lol:
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

May not be able to make it tomorrow and may not be able to get the tensioner tool to you. Dasher Garage seems to have screwed up my car beyond their ability to fix it and it is probably going to get towed to Baron.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

I am going to try and make it there with the Tensioner tool. My roommate is going to probably loan me his Toyota Matrix.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

Does the Professor, or another person have a brake fluid catch bottle for use tomorrow?

Zach, find a way to get me the tensioner by tomorrow morning and I'll take it with me. I live near Broken Arrow: 28th/Alabama
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

The Professor should have one that I donated to the club. :D
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

SWT CHI wrote:Does the Professor, or another person have a brake fluid catch bottle for use tomorrow?

Zach, find a way to get me the tensioner by tomorrow morning and I'll take it with me. I live near Broken Arrow: 28th/Alabama
I plan to come tomorrow to assist with whatever. So I will be there with the tensioner in tow. Dasher is fixing my car. They found a service bulletin for the issue in question.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

As Hagar says, we have the pressure bleeder and receptacle courtesy of his generosity.

Zack, see you there, if you make it.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
WildThang

Post by WildThang »

I won't be down to help this weekend.

My wife and I started fostering another Great Dane to adopt. We picked him up thursday, he's got too many issues we need to change as quickly as possible such as biting and issues with food so I'm training him throughout the days. So far so good! Some of you know we have Danes...and yeah, this one makes four of them running around here.
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

I'm planning to be there. I have a belt tool I can bring, jack stands. DOOONUUTS! :ds:
2003 Dark Silver Metallic MINI Cooper S.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

See you in the am!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

SWT CHI come get the tensioner tool from me. I PMed my address and number. I would come but can't borrow nor rent a car. If by chance I can by noon I will try and make it out there to help. If not, oh well. At least the tool will get there.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

Sorry guys, I did not make it, way too many things to catch up on. I bet a lot of work got done. Meet up next time, probably in the spring.
2003 Dark Silver Metallic MINI Cooper S.
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Thanks for welcoming the new guy today everyone! I had a lot of fun and gathered some new cuts on my hands :-p

Thanks, Dave, for allowing us to use you garage and your tools!

Stephanie, let me know how the thermostat works out. Just want to follow up and make sure all is well!

Chris

:chili:
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

We had a great shop day, the weather couldn't have been better although pretty windy and it blew a lot of leaves into my garage (thanks Greg, for tending to those! :D )

We got a lot of work done, and every car made it home save one, and that was thru no fault of anyone in the shop. We installed a BBK on SWT CHI's car and unfortunately, between the thicker rotors and spacers needed to get the wheels to clear the new, giant brake calipers the wheel bolts were too short. So the little red beastie is still in the shop till Mark finds the right bolts.

Kudo's to Chris and Frank for helping Stephi on a difficult thermostat changeout, and again to Chris for staying till the bitter end to drive Mark around trying to find some longer wheel bolts - also to Clint for cleaning up and staying late in case he was needed. Good job all!

Chris, the donuts were epic! :lol:

Daryl, thanks for bringing coffee!

So, what did you all think of my "new" shop?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
DuManchu

Post by DuManchu »

Bummed I couldn't make it. Under the weather coupled with lack of sleep because of said sickness caused me to spend the day in bed.

Hoping I can make some get together soon, pretty sure my throwout bearing is on its way out or something. Clutch pedal is feeling a little more "crunchy" these last few days :/
imabyter
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by imabyter »

DuManchu wrote:Bummed I couldn't make it. Under the weather coupled with lack of sleep because of said sickness caused me to spend the day in bed.

Hoping I can make some get together soon, pretty sure my throwout bearing is on its way out or something. Clutch pedal is feeling a little more "crunchy" these last few days :/
Be very wary of that. My Throwout bearing self destructed at 70K miles, tore the engine main seal, axle seal, and punched a hole in the transmission case. Fortunately, the transmission case damage was slight enough that it could be welded over. Odd thing is, the car was driving and shifting fine, the only symptom was transmission fluid all over the floor. :(
Michael B (although the MINI is Carole's toy I still get to fix and maintain it)
Luna is an '06 Cooper S Space Blue with Silver top. Sport Package, Premium Package, Euro Leather Package. Now with Way Motors 15% pulley kit!
DuManchu

Post by DuManchu »

imabyter wrote:
DuManchu wrote:Bummed I couldn't make it. Under the weather coupled with lack of sleep because of said sickness caused me to spend the day in bed.

Be very wary of that. My Throwout bearing self destructed at 70K miles, tore the engine main seal, axle seal, and punched a hole in the transmission case. Fortunately, the transmission case damage was slight enough that it could be welded over. Odd thing is, the car was driving and shifting fine, the only symptom was transmission fluid all over the floor. :(
BAH!

Not what I wanted to hear. I just hope it holds out till January when I can afford to pick up an upgraded clutch and single mass flywheel. Hoping the supercharger isn't on it's way out either.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Superchargers rarely fail on these cars, unless it's making awful noises I wouldn't worry about it. We have at least one club member with over 200K on his so far....we changed the fluid at 170K.

I recommend the Valeo clutch kit, it replaces the noisy dual mass flywheel with a solid one, and the clutch is light, easy to modulate and holds strong against any HP a MINI can throw at it..... Way Motor Works sells them. They're also about half the cost of a new OEM kit.

However, a clutch is a bigger job than we can do in a shop day, just FYI.

You can rent a lift at DIY Olathe inexpensively, and it makes the job SOOO much easier when you can raise the car up to work on it, and Dave has all the special equipment (like a tranmission jack) that you'd need to do the job.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"