Classic Mini Fun Run - Part the Third! UPDATE March 20-23rd

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
SWT CHI

Re: Classic Mini Fun Run - Part the Third!

Post by SWT CHI »

MiniManiac wrote:
Minidave wrote:well, so far I've gotten 2 "mehs"...... :mrgreen:
I will go with the one sans bed bugs.
Try it before you buy it... http://www.bedbugregistry.com/
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Classic Mini Fun Run - Part the Third! UPDATE

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:Excellent, bring them along for sure....see if you can get them to post up a pic of their car too.

Galen's P'up is a maybe at this point. I haven't heard how he's doing on swapping the motor.

Plans are made, all that needs to happen now is to wait for March 20, and keep recruiting more Classics to go along.

Ruder tells me John (other local classic MINI guy in Steelville/Rolla) says he will have his car ready in time, so things are firming up.

Don's P'up is pretty much ready to go with new front wheel bearings and the exhaust fixed.

Still haven't chosen the Motel yet....not getting any real input on preference from anyone.

Soon as we get a warm weekend we'll get your fog/driving lights wired up properly and swap the exhaust so you won't get gassed out either.

Gonna be fun on a bun!

I asked Ruder if he thought he could find a road or spot where we could hold some impromptu drag races, just for fun - he's looking into it.
Sounds great!

Hopefully, President's Day weekend will be nice and we can swap out that exhaust and fix the lights.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Alrighty then, I'll let Seth post all the gory details, but another Classic is now ready for action on our upcoming fun run! Image

Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Pics are located in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3200&p=29679#p29679
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
classicjim

Post by classicjim »

Hi my name is classicjim from louisville ky. Planning on attending the run to cuba . All I need is some good weather. I have the trailer lined up and the tow vehicle. Do not think I could sit that long in the classic truck to get there. Have no problem thinking the mini would make it :D
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

classicjim wrote:Hi my name is classicjim from louisville ky. Planning on attending the run to cuba . All I need is some good weather. I have the trailer lined up and the tow vehicle. Do not think I could sit that long in the classic truck to get there. Have no problem thinking the mini would make it :D
We are praying for good weather. If it worked for GEN Patton, then it should work for us!!!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

classicjim wrote:Hi my name is classicjim from louisville ky. Planning on attending the run to cuba . All I need is some good weather. I have the trailer lined up and the tow vehicle. Do not think I could sit that long in the classic truck to get there. Have no problem thinking the mini would make it :D
Welcome Jim! glad to hear you're coming along and look forward to seeing you in Cuba!

Your orange P'up looks killer, and will show up great in both the vids and on the road!

Weather should be cool but sunny, unless it rains or snows! :mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Classic Mini Fun Run - Part the Third! UPDATE March 20-2

Post by Minidave »

OK, I'm ready to make reservations for our hotel, last chance to express a preference or choice, also I need a final headcount, so anyone who was on the fence, time to make a commitment! :D

3 weeks and counting!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:OK, I'm ready to make reservations for our hotel, last chance to express a preference or choice, also I need a final headcount, so anyone who was on the fence, time to make a commitment! :D

3 weeks and counting!
Still committed!!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
MiniX4 John
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniX4 John »

Still in. Ready to go! If it matters to anyone, they do have a little covered parking at the Wagon Wheel.
"Moxie" Snowberry White RHD 1971 Austin Rover Mini, 1275cc engine, 10" GB wheels with Yokohama Aquos tires, Hella 500's, H9 graphics
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

MiniX2 wrote:Still in. Ready to go! If it matters to anyone, they do have a little covered parking at the Wagon Wheel.
Perfect for little cars!!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yes, we can get about three Minis in there, maybe 4, the only issue is the large curb you have to get over to get up on the concrete.....
Attachments
IMG_1836R.jpg
IMG_1836R.jpg (158.28 KiB) Viewed 10598 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I decided to go with what we know, so we're booked into the Wagon Wheel again, arriving Thurs March 20th, and staying Thurs, Friday, Sat. nights. One of the attractions (amongst many) is the proximity of the BBQ restaurant right next door!

If anyone prefers the Super 8 let me know soonish, so I can cancel our reservation that I guaranteed with my credit card. I booked 5 rooms with the possibility of 2 more, in case Gasmini and John decide they can make it and want to join us.

For anyone who would like to check out the hotel, here is the link to their website... http://www.wagonwheel66cuba.com/our-rooms/

Dimini is threatening to bring his quadrotor to get some cool aerial shots, should be fun!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

If anyone needs to do any final tweeking before we hit the road, I'll be off from school from Thursday the 13th on, so if we just want to take a quick look, put a wrench on everything to make sure it's tight and so on we have a few days before we go, the earlier the better tho in case we need to order a part of some sort.

Seth if your exhaust is still hitting the seatbelt bolt - as I recall there was about 1/2" of that bolt hanging down, we can easily cut that off without compromising the strength to gain some more clearance.

Dimini still needs to change his oil and install an engine steady mount bushing.

I will take a few tools with me just in case, but I won't have a full set by any means.

Be sure to take any extra oil and spares with you. We've only had one problem in all the times we've done this and it was pretty much unavoidable, but better to be safe....

Anyone who plans to take vids be sure you have all your camera supplies, fresh batteries, plenty of memory cards, laptop or whatever, the motel has a pretty good wifi connection too.

I'll have a map and a Garmin, we shouldn't need anything more than that, as our host knows the roads like the back of his hand.

Our route down to Cuba is straight down 50 hiway to Mo19 then straight south to Cuba and the Wagon Wheel on Rt 66.

We have a couple of surprises planned that I don't want to give away yet, but they should be fun!

Only about two weeks left!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
gasmini03
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by gasmini03 »

Go ahead and put me down as a no show because I won't be able to do all of the work required to get the Pup up and running by then. I am still making a list of the things I want to do to it while I have the engine out and cleaning it up a bit.
The other thing is I don't think its a good idea to leave my wife on her birthday two years in a row. Although she said it would be OK with her, she did have that look in her eye that said not really. Maybe next time things won't be so hectic around here and I'll be in a better position to go.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

I've officially requested clear, spring weather--yet to hear back from the office of procurement, though. The wagon wheel motel is fun because it's nostalgic and next to decent BBQ!

The drive there is pretty fun--how often do you get to caravan down the highway with a gaggle of minis? Speaking of multiple minis... What's a good name for a grouping of minis? I vote for Mosaic of minis-- being that a classic can very easily be a blending of vintages pieced together throughout the decades. Lord knows what mine was before it evolved into a Morris Mini Miata Honda!
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

dimini wrote:I've officially requested clear, spring weather--yet to hear back from the office of procurement, though. The wagon wheel motel is fun because it's nostalgic and next to decent BBQ!

The drive there is pretty fun--how often do you get to caravan down the highway with a gaggle of minis? Speaking of multiple minis... What's a good name for a grouping of minis? I vote for Mosaic of minis-- being that a classic can very easily be a blending of vintages pieced together throughout the decades. Lord knows what mine was before it evolved into a Morris Mini Miata Honda!
I think it should be a "pack" of Minis. Simple, yet aggressive :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
classicjim

Post by classicjim »

classic jim is out Mini is ok and running but I have a back issue and an appointment on the 20th . Hell or high water to mid ohio mini can-am with out Mini , and mini meet east/west with mini in tow . Hope to see some of you there. I will shoot for next year for sure :|
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

classicjim wrote:classic jim is out Mini is ok and running but I have a back issue and an appointment on the 20th . Hell or high water to mid ohio mini can-am with out Mini , and mini meet east/west with mini in tow . Hope to see some of you there. I will shoot for next year for sure :|
That is too bad! I am having some severe issues with the Mini so I will be calling you tomorrow :D
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Only a few days left now till we head for the hills!

I'm still doing the odd this and that on Buzz, trying to make him more livable and fun to drive....I got the seat redone and the dash installed and quieted down, it still has a number of vibrations and noises but I may not get on top of those till after we get back. It's still running well tho I started using a lead substitute...didn't seem to bother it not to have it on my 1100 mile trip home, but just in case.....

I'm going to see if I can get the fog/driving lights working since the ye olde English headlights are A) weak B) aimed wrong for our roads and my headlight buckets won't be here in time to install the new sealed beams I bought anyway.

I'm also going to take a look at the heater and see if I can quell the noise from it, but I don't have high hopes for it either as I think something's come loose or broken inside the casing - I will just have to take my earplugs along again.

Don's truck is working well again, John's 94 seems to be reliable and not giving any problems since we fixed his clutch and drop gears a couple of years ago, Seth's car is a little bit of a question, he's been having an intermittent problem that I've been having a difficult time understanding where to look for it, but he's got Wed off, so worst case we still have the one day to try and cure whatever's bugging it. The fear is that we'll get 300 miles from home and it will crap out on the road.

I'm taking some tools, but invariably trying to fix something on the side of the road you need something you didn't bring that just can't be found in the deep dark hills of the Missouri Ozarks. Hey, life's supposed to be an adventure, right?

Worst, worst case Ruder has a pickup truck and a tow dolly made specially for a Mini....but lets hope it doesn't come to that like it did last year with Galen's P'up.

Don has his quadrotor ready to fly so he'll get some fun aerial shots when we make a pit stop, several of us will have vid cams going and Don's volunteered to edit and make a vid for us, I'll post it on You Tube when done.....

Right now the weather forcast looks pretty good, sunny and cool with temps in the high 50's up to 70, and a small chance of rain on Friday.

Thursday morning we'll meet at 9am at the Krispy Kreme for road sustenance, then hit the highway......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Looking forward to it!!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Alrighty then, final preparations are being completed....

MiniManics car got tuned and is running much better, it might need some final tiny tweeks along the way, but it seems like it's feeling better now.

MiniX2 is running as sweetly as ever.

Buzz is still buzzing despite my best efforts, so he'll just have to live up to his name till we get back and I can get after what's making all that noise.

Dimini's P'up is ready to go....

John S will be joining us along the way or meet us in Cuba at the Wagon Wheel.

We've been finalizing plans, and we will have a surprise event on Friday morning that I think everyone will enjoy. Weather tomorrow is looking fantastic, with temps around 70, the rest of the weekend is going to be a little cooler, but still nice.

We'll post pics when we can, and once home we'll have some fun vids to share.

Time to pack and get ready to hit the road tomorrow morning!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Ready to go!!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW