Classic Mini Fun Run #4 - Redux March 2015

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Classic Mini Fun Run #4 - Redux March 2015

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:Don Ipock and I are planning on going down on Friday, the 13th.....I thought you were in class that day?

We can all head down together if you like.....
I am not teaching that day so I think I can get out early. Maybe I can work something with John P. It would be nice to get down there Friday so that we can have Saturday and Sunday for runs.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Dave,

Are you tracking the departure and arrival for anyone else? We could have a group leaving on Friday and another leaving on Saturday. It would be nice to travel down as a group but it may not work-out due to people's specific schedules. I guess we need to get a consensus of when folks are planning to head out. Do you have the first drives scheduled for Saturday?
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yes yes and sort of..... :D

Don and I are planning to leave around noon-ish, maybe a little before - you can't get into your hotel room till afternoon anyway. I think everyone is targeting to be in Eureka Springs by 5-ish or so, and meet up for dinner, drinks and general hang out time. My plan is to definitely be there well before dark.

Sat we're planning to meet for breakfast, then I'm going to hand out routes that we've already plotted out - people can pick and choose whatever drives they'd like to do and go in small groups or all go together.

As you can see it's all pretty loosely organized, and I did that on purpose - this is not a rigid "you must be back by" sort of weekend, just a bunch of Mini friends gathering together to go run around the countryside and have some fun.

The guys coming up from Texas and Oklahoma are coming on Friday and planning to be there by late afternoon.

Ruder's plans are a little up in the air, but he's planning as of now to be there Friday afternoon too.

Does that help?

We're still 4 weeks out so we have time to adjust things before we go.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:Yes yes and sort of..... :D

Don and I are planning to leave around noon-ish, maybe a little before - you can't get into your hotel room till afternoon anyway. I think everyone is targeting to be in Eureka Springs by 5-ish or so, and meet up for dinner, drinks and general hang out time. My plan is to definitely be there well before dark.

Sat we're planning to meet for breakfast, then I'm going to hand out routes that we've already plotted out - people can pick and choose whatever drives they'd like to do and go in small groups or all go together.

As you can see it's all pretty loosely organized, and I did that on purpose - this is not a rigid "you must be back by" sort of weekend, just a bunch of Mini friends gathering together to go run around the countryside and have some fun.

The guys coming up from Texas and Oklahoma are coming on Friday and planning to be there by late afternoon.

Ruder's plans are a little up in the air, but he's planning as of now to be there Friday afternoon too.

Does that help?

We're still 4 weeks out so we have time to adjust things before we go.
Sounds good. Let me talk with John P. and John S. If we can't roll with you, then at least we can make it out together.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Due to competing family events, I will not be able to make this trip. Have fun and post pics!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

We'll miss you!

Pesky family obligations! :mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote: Pesky family obligations! :mrgreen:
Tell me about it! LOL :mrgreen:
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
MiniX4 John
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniX4 John »

Well, I am going to have to cancel. I have several opportunities to work that weekend and, being self-employed, just can't justify not taking them. Sorry. I look forward to the next time!
"Moxie" Snowberry White RHD 1971 Austin Rover Mini, 1275cc engine, 10" GB wheels with Yokohama Aquos tires, Hella 500's, H9 graphics
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, we'll miss you and Seth but work and family have to come first. 8)

Only about 2 weeks out now so make your reservations at the Best Western - call 800-814-8307 and ask for Margie, she's putting all the classic Mini guys in roughly the same part of the hotel.

Weather is actually starting to look promising with several days in Eureka next week in the 60's.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

All righty then, we're in final preparations now....

Had a bit of a scare when it sounded like I had metal to metal on my brakes, but it turned out just to be brake dust accumulation.

All I have left to do is give Buzz a good bath, fill the tank, pack up and go.

Weather right now is calling for possible rain Friday night, but good weather the rest of the weekend.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, we all made it to Eureka Springs, some of us in better shape than others......

Bruce and Dean ran in rain all the way, Bruce had trouble with wet ignition parts, running on 3 cylinders for a ways, and part way along Dean's electric fuel pump gave out. It was fortunate that Bruce was along so he could run them up to a nearby O-Reily's to get a new one. They found shelter in a car wash - no one will be using a car wash when it's pelting down rain! - and got the new pump installed and on they went.

We ran into similar problems, but first only about thirty miles from KC we were stopped dead on the highway by an accident, a woman towing a trailer had flipped and the truck and trailer were sitting backwards, crosswise, upside down and blocking both lanes...... that took us close to an hour to clear. Once back up to speed it was clear sailing till we got to Joplin and we ran into the same rainstorm that Dean and Bruce had been fighting. Truckwash rolling up thru the grill finally shut John down to 3 cylinders or less for a while, but it cleared up eventually and we were back up to speed. Don saw water dribbling in the corners of his windshield, and found wet floormats when we got to the hotel

Then about 50 miles out and running down a delightful twisty road - my clutch gave up. I had put a new master cylinder in before we left, but the pedal just went to the floor. If I pumped it hard enough long enough I could get it to release just enough to start the car in first gear and get going, then shift by matching revs, I drove the last 15 miles or so in third gear so I'd have enough revs to make it out of the slow uphill turns.

It's still raining, tho it's supposed to stop tomorrow morning and for the rest of the weekend the weather looks gorgeous. I also think my alternator may have packed it in too, it squeals like mad when I start the car, and when I had the lights on it was showing a fair discharge. There are auto parts stores here in town, so I'll pull the alt and have them check it, and I'll pull the slave cylinder and see if I can find a cup that will fit it. If I'm lucky I should be ready to go Sat afternoon or for Sunday's rides.

If I'm not lucky, Rose will be heading south on Sunday with the Audi and the new towbar I built to get me.

More as it happens.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:Well, we all made it to Eureka Springs, some of us in better shape than others......

Bruce and Dean ran in rain all the way, Bruce had trouble with wet ignition parts, running on 3 cylinders for a ways, and part way along Dean's electric fuel pump gave out. It was fortunate that Bruce was along so he could run them up to a nearby O-Reily's to get a new one. They found shelter in a car wash - no one will be using a car wash when it's pelting down rain! - and got the new pump installed and on they went.

We ran into similar problems, but first only about thirty miles from KC we were stopped dead on the highway by an accident, a woman towing a trailer had flipped and the truck and trailer were sitting backwards, crosswise, upside down and blocking both lanes...... that took us close to an hour to clear. Once back up to speed it was clear sailing till we got to Joplin and we ran into the same rainstorm that Dean and Bruce had been fighting. Truckwash rolling up thru the grill finally shut John down to 3 cylinders or less for a while, but it cleared up eventually and we were back up to speed. Don saw water dribbling in the corners of his windshield, and found wet floormats when we got to the hotel

Then about 50 miles out and running down a delightful twisty road - my clutch gave up. I had put a new master cylinder in before we left, but the pedal just went to the floor. If I pumped it hard enough long enough I could get it to release just enough to start the car in first gear and get going, then shift by matching revs, I drove the last 15 miles or so in third gear so I'd have enough revs to make it out of the slow uphill turns.

It's still raining, tho it's supposed to stop tomorrow morning and for the rest of the weekend the weather looks gorgeous. I also think my alternator may have packed it in too, it squeals like mad when I start the car, and when I had the lights on it was showing a fair discharge. There are auto parts stores here in town, so I'll pull the alt and have them check it, and I'll pull the slave cylinder and see if I can find a cup that will fit it. If I'm lucky I should be ready to go Sat afternoon or for Sunday's rides.

If I'm not lucky, Rose will be heading south on Sunday with the Audi and the new towbar I built to get me.

More as it happens.
There is nothing easy about a road trip in a Classic Mini. I will keep my fingers crossed for you! Have fun and good luck!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Yikes, Dave! I hope all works out well. Friday the 13th did a number of you fellas.

If you would rather be trailered home, just holler. One of us could head that way at some point on Sunday. Fingers crossed you get up and running though so you can go have fun and not need a lift back.
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

You had doubts I could fix it? :D

Thanks for the offer Johnna, I had Rose standing by with my new tow bar just in case.....

But all's well that ends well, and in the Mini community the one thing you can count on is plenty of support.

And that's what I got today.....the first thing we found was that the clevis pin had come out of the clutch linkage on the pedal end. The pin was on the floorboard but no cotter pin, but of course everyone carries cotter pins. It was a challenge to get the pin back in but Don laid upside down and managed to get it in again. That done I still had no clutch, nothing was leaking fluid and bleeding it repeatedly did nothing to improve things.

I was trying to figure out where I was going to get a clutch slave cylinder in Eureka Springs when Dean rummaged around in his boot and walked over and handed me a spare, brand new still in the box. 1 hour later the clutch was bled and sweet!

The Alternator turned out to be a loose belt, that only took 10 min to fix and now I'm good to go again!

It's also supposed to stop raining this afternoon, so we may just go find a pub and spend the rest of the day hanging out in E Springs, then hit the roads tomorrow.

Edit: Now that the rain has stopped, we're having fun in E-Springs! Yes, we drove down that sidewalk to get here to take this shot.......shhhhhhhhhh....... :mrgreen:

Wait'll you see the aerials!
Attachments
IMG_3301R.jpg
IMG_3301R.jpg (97.22 KiB) Viewed 22060 times
Last edited by Minidave on Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

So jealous! I am glad (I was confident) that everything got resolved :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

For those playing along at home, that's Bruce's (from Dallas) new 88 in white on the left, then the Priep's purple Cooper S (from Fla), then John's Almond green S, then Dean's Red S (from OKC), then Buzz (one of these is not like the others, one of these.....) Don's P'up, then the other Don's black Cooper S
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:Image

For those playing along at home, that's Bruce's (from Dallas) new 88 in white on the left, then the Priep's purple Cooper S (from Fla), then John's Almond green S, then Dean's Red S (from OKC), then Buzz (one of these is not like the others, one of these.....) Don's P'up, then the other Don's black Cooper S
It looks like all of the cool kids have aux driving lamps 8)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Hah!

Just to show that we didn't just park in front of things and take pics....
Attachments
IMG_7014R.jpg
IMG_7014R.jpg (119.31 KiB) Viewed 22045 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

It wouldn't be a Mini event without some wrenching.....today was Ruder's turn when his starter locked up.

However, a hour or so of head scratching, removing the starter, smacking it with a hammer and cold chisel to swedge the bendix drive back in place, and we were good to go again!

John had to leave a day early and Ruder headed out around noon today so the remaining bunch of us took a run down to the War Eagle river mill where we had lunch and drove across the one lane bridge, then Dean and Sharon headed home, and the four remaining mini-teers did a little final checking to get ready for our drives home tomorrow.

We'll have breakfast in the am, the Dean and Bruce will head west and south and Don and I will head north to KC. Despite the weather and Mini-challenges, we all had a fantastic time, and having to fix cars in the motel parking lot really only adds to the fun.

We'll do it again, I'm sure.
Attachments
IMG_3311R.jpg
IMG_3311R.jpg (135.31 KiB) Viewed 22036 times
IMG_3319R.jpg
IMG_3319R.jpg (68.96 KiB) Viewed 22036 times
IMG_3326R.jpg
IMG_3326R.jpg (160.67 KiB) Viewed 22036 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

Here are some additional photos. My apologies for excluding a few folks... no harm intended--I just ran out of time and plan to post more later.

'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

We had fun with the Eureka Springs Mascot. More pics to be posted later...

'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Don's P'up was having issues with cutting out and stalling on the drive, when we got home he put his borescope down into the tank and said it looked like a shipwreck on the bottom of the tank, with junk piled up all over the bottom.

Today he got his new Stainless Steel tank installed and said it runs like a new car now! Money well spent...
Attachments
pup's new gas tank 3.jpg
pup's new gas tank 3.jpg (109.92 KiB) Viewed 22009 times
pups new gas tank.jpg
pups new gas tank.jpg (118.57 KiB) Viewed 22009 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC