Classic Minis - Texas Hill Country Drive

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Classic Minis - Texas Hill Country Drive

Post by Minidave »

Some friends and I are planning this event for spring break, March 13-19

That part of Texas in March is beautiful with cool nights and warm sunny days, the blue bonnets will be in full bloom, traffic is light and the roads are fantastic.

If you think you'd like to come with us, go here for details..... http://restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=1154.0

We'd love to have any/all KC area classic Minis along.....

Right now Me, Don I, John S and Susan M are talking about going......should be a hoot and a holler! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Minidave on Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Classic Minis - Texas Hill Country Drive

Post by MiniManiac »

San Antonio, TX? That's a haul! It looks fun.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

This run developed over on RestorationMini.com and was originated by a fellow who lives in San Antonio, and I cross posted it here once it became more than a discussion......the original thread started on Oct 16, so it hasn't been out there long. I knew that driving that far would be an issue for a lot of folks, but I think it could be a great time. As the run isn't till March 2017, there's plenty of time to plan and make arrangements.

After taking Bruce's classic all the way to Sandy Eggo this past summer, Texas just doesn't seem so far! :mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Any last minute joiners?

We're leaving from KC Sunday March 12, after breakfast. We're going down I-35 to OKC, then I-44 to Wichita Falls to overnight, then straight south to Kerrville where we'll base for the week. The motel is only $49 a night!

Weather will be sunny and dry, temps in the mid 70's to low 80's......couldn't be better for a Mini run!

Right now we have 10 cars attending from KC, KS, OK, Tx, Ga and Ar......room for more!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:Any last minute joiners?

We're leaving from KC Sunday March 12, after breakfast. We're going down I-35 to OKC, then I-44 to Wichita Falls to overnight, then straight south to Kerrville where we'll base for the week. The motel is only $49 a night!

Weather will be sunny and dry, temps in the mid 70's to low 80's......couldn't be better for a Mini run!

Right now we have 10 cars attending from KC, KS, OK, Tx, Ga and Ar......room for more!
Have fun! Keep us posted :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Just got home from Texas, and I have to say this was one of the most fun runs I've done in awhile, although it did have some travails - most notably the cattle grates - which took out one of Buzz's rear suspension pieces, but we were able to have a new one made and he was up for the run the next day.

The Racing Green car ran perfectly all week, and followed the Blue Clubby like it was attached all the way out and back! :roll: :lol:

Don's P'up also ran perfectly, except for on our way home when it suddenly sputtered to a stop on the highway, after a few minutes it fired right back up again and we drove on, but before the end of the day it had stopped 5 or 6 more times. At our last gas stop I added a bottle of Heet, surprisingly had not one whit of trouble the rest of the way home -he musta got a slug of water at one of the fill ups.

We did about 600 miles of runs while there and all the cars ran without issue - take that Honda and Toyota! :mrgreen:

It seems like a long haul down there, but we broke it up into a long and a short day behind the wheel, and it really wasn't too bad a drive. along the way we picked up a friend in Dallas and caravanned the rest of the way down with him.

We found lots of great BBQ places to eat, and all in all a great time was had by all!
Attachments
WP_20170315_13_59_05_ProR.jpg
WP_20170315_16_49_03_ProR.jpg
WP_20170315_20_49_19_ProR.jpg
WP_20170317_16_21_27_ProR.jpg
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"