KC Mini/Iowa Joint Run - Update!

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

KC Mini/Iowa Joint Run - Update!

Post by Minidave »

The annual joint run between our clubs is in the final stages of preparation, so save the date! May 6th, 2017

The run is being organized by James Flowers and has had a lot of support from the Iowa MINIs Club, I hope we can have a good showing this year. I've done this run and it is a ball, lots of cool winding hilly roads in northern Mo and southern Iowa, lets get our cars out and run!

Details as they happen!

UPDATE!

It's that time of year again!

Jeff Geist will be leading a convoy from Mini of Des Moines (MODM) to Bethany. The route will be about 50/50 Highway 69 and I-35, jumping on the interstate to skip the boring parts of the highway. This convoy is optional, but highly recommended! It's only about 20 minutes slower than driving I-35 the whole way.

For the convoy, try to be at MODM by 8:15AM on Saturday and absolutely no later than 8:30. The convoy will leave just after 8:30. There will be one rest stop about halfway in Osceola.

If you want to drive yourself, we'll meet at 11AM in the parking lot of Toot-Toot restaurant. The address is 2905 Miller St, Bethany MO and it's on the North side of the highway, here is a Google Maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/GjwYCkncCQw

IF Toot-Toot is overcrowded for some reason and there's no room for us, the backup 11AM meeting location is Flowers Bank, which is just East of Toot-Toot on Miller St, also on the North side of the highway.  From there we’ll decide where to split up and eat.  And if you don't catch us there, remember that we'll regroup at Walmart at noon.

At the parking lot we can hand out maps and do introductions and wait until 11:15 for any stragglers, then break for lunch. Most of us will eat at Toot-Toot, there is also a Sonic nearby that many have dined at in the past. I suggest you dine lightly and leave room for dessert in Lamoni. Some of these roads are quite hilly and we've had some motion sickness casualties in the past!

We'll plot on leaving the restaurant around noon unless either the KCME or CIMC convoy is late, and we'll line up in the Wal-Mart parking lot as per usual. Here's another link to that location: http://goo.gl/maps/LqqCz

There will be a FAST group and a SLOW group, identified by placards on the back of the cars at the rear of the line. Fast group will be on the left, slow group on the right, same as previous years. If you're comfortable working out your suspension in the curves, line up in the fast group. If you'd rather drive in a relaxed manner and enjoy the countryside, pick the slow group. If the person in front of you is driving slower than you'd like, feel free to pass them when it's safe to do so and you'll probably both have more fun. This is a scenic drive and we will wait at every major stop/turn for the last car in the slow group to catch up, so there's nothing wrong with hanging out at the rear! If you'd like to volunteer for rear car duties, I will have a spare FRS radio for you.

We'll probably try to leave Wal-Mart by 12:15 and start the drive.

Everybody should bring a FRS radio AKA walkie-talkie if they have one. We'll use them to communicate hazards on the route and such. Channel to be given out in Bethany.

If you plan on leaving early, remember that the Mini behind you is just going to follow your tail!  So be courteous and pull over and wait for everyone to pass, then go off on your own way.

I look forward to seeing you all there!

-James F
Last edited by ragtopday Johnna on Mon May 08, 2017 10:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: removed sticky post event
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: KC MINI/Iowa MINI Joint Run - May 6, 2017

Post by MiniManiac »

wow!! The calendar is really starting to fill up fast. Awesome stuff happening with the KC Club!!!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Ric Johnson
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Ric Johnson »

Hope to see a lot of KC Minis this year. This is always an exhilarating drive!

Ric Johnson
Central Iowa MINI Club
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

As fun as this sounds, I'm going to have to pass because it conflicts with the Mini's to Richmond event also being done on the 6th of May by Hillary.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

Zackattack28 wrote:As fun as this sounds, I'm going to have to pass because it conflicts with the Mini's to Richmond event also being done on the 6th of May by Hillary.
That kinda sucks, I think we had picked that date first.
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Spart wrote:
Zackattack28 wrote:As fun as this sounds, I'm going to have to pass because it conflicts with the Mini's to Richmond event also being done on the 6th of May by Hillary.
We went by the Mushroom Festival in Richmond Missouri schedule, so I think they had the date first, lol.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

Zackattack28 wrote:
Spart wrote:
We went by the Mushroom Festival in Richmond Missouri schedule, so I think they had the date first, lol.
Gotcha.
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Spart wrote:
Zackattack28 wrote:
Spart wrote:
Gotcha.
I'm sure not everyone will be doing the mushroom festival but if you're doing another drive like this later in the year, I would love to join.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

Zackattack28 wrote:
Spart wrote:
Zackattack28 wrote:
Gotcha.
I'm sure not everyone will be doing the mushroom festival but if you're doing another drive like this later in the year, I would love to join.
Nope. Done it once a year every May. This will be the 5th year. Meant to be a joint event for both clubs.
CathyV
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by CathyV »

That does sound like fun - but we are going to try to do the Richmond event this year. If they do another one later in the year we would love to try to join in!
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

CathyV wrote:That does sound like fun - but we are going to try to do the Richmond event this year. If they do another one later in the year we would love to try to join in!
My guess is that this year the two events happened to overlap. On the other hand if they overlap every year then, well I'm going to have to remain loyal to the Mushrooms Festival event.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I am curious to see the event details before I commit. :).
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

Hey Seth - very similar to the previous years! About 100 miles of backroads. Start in Bethany, MO. Lunch at Toot-Toot at 11, depart from Wally World parking lot at noonish.

We'll likely end up in Lamoni, IA somewhere that has ice cream to end the day.

This event is and always has been more about the drive than the destination!
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Spart wrote:Hey Seth - very similar to the previous years! About 100 miles of backroads. Start in Bethany, MO. Lunch at Toot-Toot at 11, depart from Wally World parking lot at noonish.

Very cool!! I am a def. "maybe" due to an upcoming shoulder issue :). My ability to drive may be affected a bit too much. :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote: My guess is that this year the two events happened to overlap. On the other hand if they overlap every year then, well I'm going to have to remain loyal to the Mushrooms Festival event.
I don't think you have to remain "loyal" to an event. They are two totally different style events (drive vs. parade and park) so if you feel like hitting the twisties, you have a choice and if you feel more like a car show event then you have a choice. The good news is that we have a ton of active members to there is the possibility of both events receiving significant participation :).
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

MiniManiac wrote:
Spart wrote:Hey Seth - very similar to the previous years! About 100 miles of backroads. Start in Bethany, MO. Lunch at Toot-Toot at 11, depart from Wally World parking lot at noonish.

Very cool!! I am a def. "maybe" due to an upcoming shoulder issue :). My ability to drive may be affected a bit too much. :)
I'm sure somebody can offer up a passenger seat. Heck, I'll take on a passenger if you want to ride at the front.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

What are you driving this year, James?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

Something new. :D
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

@Minidave I sent you an email but the address I have is one from forever ago, just making sure you got it. I didn't get a bounce back at least...
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Still a good address, James.....

It's that time of year again!

Jeff Geist will be leading a convoy from Mini of Des Moines (MODM) to Bethany. The route will be about 50/50 Highway 69 and I-35, jumping on the interstate to skip the boring parts of the highway. This convoy is optional, but highly recommended! It's only about 20 minutes slower than driving I-35 the whole way.

For the convoy, try to be at MODM by 8:15AM on Saturday and absolutely no later than 8:30. The convoy will leave just after 8:30. There will be one rest stop about halfway in Osceola.

If you want to drive yourself, we'll meet at 11AM in the parking lot of Toot-Toot restaurant. The address is 2905 Miller St, Bethany MO and it's on the North side of the highway, here is a Google Maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/GjwYCkncCQw

IF Toot-Toot is overcrowded for some reason and there's no room for us, the backup 11AM meeting location is Flowers Bank, which is just East of Toot-Toot on Miller St, also on the North side of the highway.  From there we’ll decide where to split up and eat.  And if you don't catch us there, remember that we'll regroup at Walmart at noon.

At the parking lot we can hand out maps and do introductions and wait until 11:15 for any stragglers, then break for lunch. Most of us will eat at Toot-Toot, there is also a Sonic nearby that many have dined at in the past. I suggest you dine lightly and leave room for dessert in Lamoni. Some of these roads are quite hilly and we've had some motion sickness casualties in the past!

We'll plot on leaving the restaurant around noon unless either the KCME or CIMC convoy is late, and we'll line up in the Wal-Mart parking lot as per usual. Here's another link to that location: http://goo.gl/maps/LqqCz

There will be a FAST group and a SLOW group, identified by placards on the back of the cars at the rear of the line. Fast group will be on the left, slow group on the right, same as previous years. If you're comfortable working out your suspension in the curves, line up in the fast group. If you'd rather drive in a relaxed manner and enjoy the countryside, pick the slow group. If the person in front of you is driving slower than you'd like, feel free to pass them when it's safe to do so and you'll probably both have more fun. This is a scenic drive and we will wait at every major stop/turn for the last car in the slow group to catch up, so there's nothing wrong with hanging out at the rear! If you'd like to volunteer for rear car duties, I will have a spare FRS radio for you.

We'll probably try to leave Wal-Mart by 12:15 and start the drive.

Everybody should bring a FRS radio AKA walkie-talkie if they have one. We'll use them to communicate hazards on the route and such. Channel to be given out in Bethany.

If you plan on leaving early, remember that the Mini behind you is just going to follow your tail!  So be courteous and pull over and wait for everyone to pass, then go off on your own way.

I look forward to seeing you all there!

-James F
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: KC Mini/Iowa Joint Run - Update!

Post by Spart »

Do we have anyone to volunteer to lead a convoy for the KC club?
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Spart wrote:Do we have anyone to volunteer to lead a convoy for the KC club?
Due to circumstances beyond my control, I will not (NOT!) be able to lead the KC convoy this year.

In fact, to my great disappointment, it appears at this point I won't be able to participate at all.

This is an exhilarating event -- lots of time driving some great hidden backroads of northern MO and southern IA. Every time I've gone it has been a thoroughly enjoyable day. Lots of fresh air and time out in the rural countryside.

James is a great planner and event leader -- I expect this year's route to be as fun and interesting as the previous years. Thanks, James, for taking on this event again this year.

Hope you all have a great day!
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Looks like my schedule opened up so I will be at this event after all, if the weather is nice I'll bring my classic Mini, if not I'll drive the Clubman S - so I can lead the KC contingent up to Bethany.

Looking forward to it!

I'm also talking to a couple other classic owners about running too, more as it happens!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

Awesome!
Miniac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Miniac »

Any convoy to from KC to the Iowa drive on Saturday?