phpBB Upgrade

Info & Updates on Unofficial Club Funding, Supplies, etc...
KangaMINI
Website Admin
Website Admin

phpBB Upgrade

Post by KangaMINI »

Hey everyone,

I am going to begin preparations to migrate this forum to the new version of phpBB in the coming weeks, and set an official migration date once I'm comfortable with how things will run. This way the board will be on a more secure platform that is currently being developed on.

Best,
Rich
KangaMINI
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

If you're going to V.3, I don't think you can migrate any of the V.2 files over unless you run the converter, which is size limited. We ran into this on my website, Carnuts.us. when we switched to the new version, just FYI.

The new version allows pictures to be posted, will you enable that feature so we don't have to hotlink anymore?

Also, didn't we use to have a place to park pics of club events? I can't seem to find it........
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
KangaMINI
Website Admin
Website Admin

Post by KangaMINI »

Thanks for the tips - that kind of stuff is why I'm gonna do a few test runs first with a copy of the forums to make sure I don't fubar the whole thing going all crazy ;)

I'll check into putting some kind of photo sharing thing on the website as well, now that I have free time since I am done with school :)

-Rich
KangaMINI
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Ryan, known as kenshin138 here on the forum is really an expert with BB and he's offered to help if you need anything, you might PM him.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

There isn't really an upgrade from 2.0 to 3.0. What you do is actually stand up the new phpBB3 system on a seperate database. They have a tool that will then attach to the existing 2.0 database and dump everything to the new 3.0 one. So its a "side-by-side upgrade".

Also note that themes (which we don't have to worry using the default one :) ) are 100% different from v2 to v3.

PHPBB3 out of the box supports attaching files to posts which is a pretty nice way for the average user to post a pic here and there. Its OK for lots of pics but nothing compared to a real gallery system. I say we go with the default everything and see what people think.

If you need any help with the upgrade, themes, features, admin, etc. let me know. I have done one v2 to v3 upgrade and have modified skins for about 4 different sites. I don't create them from scratch but typically mod an existing free one. Its pretty easy.

Here are the sites I run/setup/etc:

http://www.tearsofdraenor.net/forums/ - my World of Warcraft guild site (version 2.0 still....)

http://www.randomhit.org - a local miniature wargaming forum (this was my v2 to v3 upgrade)

http://war.randomhit.org/order/ - a Warhammer online guild website (not really used anymore sadly), v3 from the start

http://war.randomhit.org/destruction/ - the sister Warhammer guild website, also v3
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Rojocohete set up a photo account for club members to use to share collections of photos. Perhaps he will share the log-in info again and then the post can be stickied. (Is that a word? Stickied?) I can't locate the original post re. this.

Related to this, could you adjust the settings Rich so that posts don't fall off after 6 months? Unless we are having a space limitation issue, I don't see a reason to eliminate the posts. It is nice to be able to look back for reference.

And thanks, as always, Rich for maintaining the forum and site. It's much appreciated!!! :D
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yes, second that about keeping the posts longer than 6 months! I went back to find something a while back and couldn't!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
speed_racer

Post by speed_racer »

Two things:

1. There is a lot of geeking going on in this post! :lol:
2. Thanks to KangaMini/Rich and everyone else for keeping the forum running smoothly. 8)
KangaMINI
Website Admin
Website Admin

Post by KangaMINI »

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions - I just went through and turned off the 'auto-prune' feature on two of the forum sections that had it enabled. I can't remember why it was turned on but I'm sure I did it back in ancient times for one reason or another :)

The only place it was left on was for 90 days in the For Sale forum, where it is very helpful.
KangaMINI
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

I should also mention that you can use the same database for the migration. Just use a different prefix for the tables. I did that on the above Warcraft forum yesterday, worked great.