DRAGON 2008

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
matti the mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

DRAGON 2008

Post by matti the mini »

Well, the Dragon is approaching again.

By my count, the official start is less than 99 days away.

I'm going again, and I think John and Johnna, as well as Dave and Debra.

We haven't set a specific time / date of departure yet.... We have thrown around leaving May 1st, (one day after the "offical" start) and staying through Monday - possibly departing for KC on Tuesday the 6th.

So... this thread is two parts - see if anyone else is attending and wants to meet up to caravan...

Nail down the dates that we are going and making sure we can change our room arrangements if needed.
Bentley

Gertti - MCS '13 - BRG2, JCW Tuner Package, and more!

formerly:
Matti - MCS '004- BRG, premium, sport, cold, bonnet stripes, boot stripes, rally lights, window tint, nav - british voice mod, Helix CAI and 15% reduction pully, euro parcel shelf
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

We'll be there, in the MINI. I may need to leave earlier to be there on the official first day (I have a bit of work to do there) but we plan to stay beyond MOTD for some safer sightseeing.

So we're in....two people, one MINI and one MiniMutt. :lol:

For anyone looking for info, check out www.minisonthedragon.info .
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Marlow Main
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Marlow Main »

I would like to go, but I can not convince Just a Passenger, especially after all the comments of our motoring friends that have been in the past. :wink:
I will keep working on him, maybe we will be Dragon bound in 2009.
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

We are still planning on being there. Debra can not leave until she finishes the end of the month stuff for her job, so we will most likely have to wait until the 1st to start.
09 Clubman S LB/B, 3 Pkgs, JCW Wheel, JCW Tuning Kit, H&R Springs, ALTA 19mm swaybar
14 Paceman S All4, Starlight Blue/White, Fully loaded, JCW Steering Wheel
David & Debra
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

This is a great use of vacation time, so pending any work related things that come up, I will probably join the caravan if one is put together. It will be myself and my female companion. I think it would be nice to take a KC contingent. ~800 miles, 15ish hours on the road, maybe longer. I guess if we are going to caravan we should get some plan going. I will donate some of my time to figuring out a plan if we get people interested.

What would be best for myself is leaving the 2nd in the morning and doing it in one day. But I understand most of us wont be up for doing it in one day, so this is flexible. The evening of the 1st would be good too, and make it to St. Louis or somewhere east of there.
matti the mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by matti the mini »

It is very easy to do in one day.

Last year ddmini and I did it with a nice break for lunch.

I ended up heading down to Chattanooga and they drove over to Fontana. Ended up in a big heavy rain storm that really slowed them down. I do remember Dave saying it was late when they finally arrived.

I drove from Knoxville back to KC this fall - I think it was about 11 hours.

I would defiantly say to get a room - or find one!

Bentley
Bentley

formerly:
Matti - MCS '004- BRG, premium, sport, cold, bonnet stripes, boot stripes, rally lights, window tint, nav - british voice mod, Helix CAI and 15% reduction pully, euro parcel shelf
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

From what I've been reading on NAM, rooms are filling up fast, I might have to settle for something farther out than I'd normally like. If we can all agree to do the drive in one day, it would be awesome. Also since this is my first time going, the drive there as well as those roads around there look like I might get sick, and i definitely know that my passenger will.

Maryville, TN (50 miles from Fontana Dam) looks like a fairly sized town, I can't image having to spill over into Knoxville for a room, but then again I'm sure someone wiser will eventually tell me I'm wrong. I'm okay with that.
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

kabootist wrote:What would be best for myself is leaving the 2nd in the morning and doing it in one day. But I understand most of us wont be up for doing it in one day, so this is flexible. The evening of the 1st would be good too, and make it to St. Louis or somewhere east of there.
So far the only event we have been too that requires a two day drive is AMVIV. Vegas is just too far to drive in a day. We had no problems getting to either the Dragon or MITM without a stop. We have done the return trip from the Dragon straight through both times, and it was no strain. It does take a while longer when you go most of the way in the rain :D
09 Clubman S LB/B, 3 Pkgs, JCW Wheel, JCW Tuning Kit, H&R Springs, ALTA 19mm swaybar
David & Debra
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

I was just trying to appeal to the masses, I figure the more people that come the better :D
matti the mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by matti the mini »

kabootist wrote: Maryville, TN (50 miles from Fontana Dam) looks like a fairly sized town, I can't image having to spill over into Knoxville for a room, but then again I'm sure someone wiser will eventually tell me I'm wrong. I'm okay with that.
I actually went down this fall and stayed in Knoxville - very easy drive into and through the Dragon...

Maryville would be a very easy drive. I've run there for groceries too.
Bentley

formerly:
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

Maryville was a nice little town and it is a easy drive to Fontana. The only problem with staying on the TN side is if the Highway Patrol is still on there enhanced patrolling kick you have more of a chance of them hassling you.
David & Debra
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

I'll get a report on traffic patrols and such in a couple weeks. Some friends of mine are scouting for a Harley road trip and I convinced them it was a good place to go.

Wish I could go this year, but with AMVIV, I expect that I won't be able to afford it. Unless of course Mr. Blackjack is nice to me while I'm out there...
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
matti the mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by matti the mini »

When I was there in October, and I drove the Dragon on Friday, nary an officer was to be seen...

So, we can hope that is still the case.
Bentley

formerly:
JohnBLZ

Post by JohnBLZ »

ddmini wrote: So far the only event we have been too that requires a two day drive is AMVIV. Vegas is just too far to drive in a day. We had no problems getting to either the Dragon or MITM without a stop. We have done the return trip from the Dragon straight through both times, and it was no strain. It does take a while longer when you go most of the way in the rain :D
Fooey!! We left KC at 9AM on a Friday and rolled into Vegas at 3AM local time a couple years ago... I'm not going to say how fast we were going, but it was a spirited drive 8)

The last few hours of the drive really sucked...especially going through the desert. The mountains at night were adventurous...especially considering when you could round a corner at 80MPH and be face to face with an elk.

But... coming down into the Vegas Valley at night is something you've got to do at least once in your life. Vegas is dirty as hell, but at night it's something beautiful!
JohnBLZ

Post by JohnBLZ »

Grain of salt though...I'm also someone that's driven straight from San Francisco to KC without stopping for anything more than gas and to return the pop I rented.

Definitely not the smartest thing I've ever done, but it was a really neat 25 hours.

We love to roadtrip. Planning on taking the Cooper to Glacier and Yellowstone this year 8)
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

Back when I was younger I would drive from D.C to Independence (23 to 25 hours depending on weather) at least once sometimes twice a year. Two years ago we did go from Vegas to Ft. Collins, CO where we stopped and visited some friends then came on home. That took almost 26 hours and by the time we got home we were exhausted. I think that I-70 through Kansas is the most boring and sleep inducing stretch of road in the country.
David & Debra
JohnBLZ

Post by JohnBLZ »

ddmini wrote: I think that I-70 through Kansas is the most boring and sleep inducing stretch of road in the country.
Amen...I-80 through Nebraska is a close second though.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

To take this thread a little further from the original topic, here's a book recommendation for those of you sharing the joys of driving long distances on the interstate system: Cross Country by Robert Sullivan.
http://www.amazon.com/Cross-Country-Fif ... 402&sr=8-1[/url]
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

speaking of boring. I think they ought to just close wyoming and put up a sign saying 'close due to lack of use".

on my first time driving through there. i looked at the map and figured that the map just had the big cities. nope, the map had all the cities, it's just that there so few on i-80.

yep, i say, close it down.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Naw, I liked Wyoming, it's true there aren't a lot of towns, but for me that's a large part of it's appeal. What towns there are seem to be full of interesting and nice folks......I'd take Wyoming over Nebraska any day!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Registration for MOTD 2008 is now open at NAM...

Anyone else going?
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

MOTD

Post by BLUGOOSE »

Please excuse the ignorant question but,when is the Dragon and where does one get info about it :?:
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

dragon

Post by davester »

Charlotte & I will be going-- We are all registered up!!!
Last edited by davester on Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: MOTD

BLUGOOSE wrote:Please excuse the ignorant question but,when is the Dragon and where does one get info about it :?:
Answers to both of your questions are here:

www.minisonthedragon.info

There is also plenty of chatter and registration info over at www.northamericanmotoring.com. There's currently a link on the upper left hand side of the front page.
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

MOTD

Post by BLUGOOSE »

Thanks for the info. I found more than enough stuff on NAM. My next questions have to do with deciding which events to attend throughout the week and where to try to find a room. :help: This would be my first time there and I really have no idea where a good place to stay would be.
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s