DRAGON 2008

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: MOTD

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

BLUGOOSE wrote:I really have no idea where a good place to stay would be.
Fontana is the central gathering spot, but finding a place there could be tricky. It was booked full for this year before everyone left last year. There will be lots of people that discover they can't attend in the upcoming weeks, so watch NAM or maybe even post that you are looking for a place to stay. Sometimes folks have a spare bedroom in a cabin if you are willing to share.

A little KC bird mentioned Tapoco had a couple of rooms last week, you might check. I would stay there in a heartbeat! Also Blue Waters Mountain Lodge had a room late last week.

I read an article about Blackberry Farm www.blackberryfarm.com in a travel mag. It's about an hour from Fontana and looks delightful. If you decide to stay there, I'd love to hear your review. :)

Johnna
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

We just finished registering. So now we wait 8)
09 Clubman S LB/B, 3 Pkgs, JCW Wheel, JCW Tuning Kit, H&R Springs, ALTA 19mm swaybar
14 Paceman S All4, Starlight Blue/White, Fully loaded, JCW Steering Wheel
David & Debra
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Frank (Blugoose) asked me what was fun to do while at the Dragon....would y'all chime in?

The first year we went to the Dragon, I enjoyed the drive to Dillsboro organized by Barry/Snooter from Sunshine MINIs. It's a nice scenic drive but not a challenging twisty. The town of Dillsboro is pretty with little shops, ice cream, etc... and the group usually eats at the Jarrett House, an historic home converted to a down-home cookin' place. The Smoky Mtn. Railway goes through the town, too.

Last year we went on a drive to the Highlands. It was super pretty, every bit as twisty as the Dragon but with waterfalls! The town itself is like Parkville on steroids (many shops and cafes) and makes for a leisurely daytrip.

Visiting Fontana Dam is interesting and if you hike, you'll appreciate that the Appalachian Trail crosses over the dam. It doesn't get much easier than that to say "I've hiked on the Appalachian Trail." :lol:

What other stuff have y'all done that the newbies might enjoy? How about the ice cream run or anyone done the Dragon parade? The midnight run? Brew swap? Cigar saloon? Is there a drive-in movie this year? A KC BBQ evening??
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

The Cherohala Skyway was fun, until we got sent on that backwoods detour :D It was a fun road with good views.

The Hellbender (Highway 28 ) is also a good drive. It is not as twisty as the dragon, but is still a lot of fun.

If you want to relax, go outside at daybreak to watch the sun come up and burn the fog off the mountains.

I can not remember some of the roads we went down, but there is lots of fun driving and beautiful scenery all around.
09 Clubman S LB/B, 3 Pkgs, JCW Wheel, JCW Tuning Kit, H&R Springs, ALTA 19mm swaybar
David & Debra
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

So I just registered and got 2 nights hotels in Asheville, NC....I am planning on leaving Wednesday April 30th in the morning around 5 or 6 am. Anyone else care to join?

I got a hotel in Asheville because I'm planning on going to Murytle Beach on Thursday to show the female co-pilot the ocean. I plan on leaving sometime friday night and driving overnight back to KC.

Let me know if anyone is interested on caravaning down on Wednesday, times are not set in stone.
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

More Questions

Post by BLUGOOSE »

:? How hard would it be to find a room if I just showed up in Fontana on the 30th without a reservation :?: I'm going to register for the Dragon and hopefully when I get there,find a room. Is this a bad idea? Second question. I got onto the MOTD web site and read about the out of control LEO"s.Is the situation there as bad as they make it sound? Sounds like something straight out of Nazi Germany.It's almost as if they don't want you there. Hope they have this straightened out by the end of Apr.
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

From what i can imagine, it could be pretty difficult. Give a shot at calling some places, you never know.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: More Questions

BLUGOOSE wrote::? How hard would it be to find a room if I just showed up in Fontana on the 30th without a reservation :?: I'm going to register for the Dragon and hopefully when I get there,find a room. Is this a bad idea? Second question. I got onto the MOTD web site and read about the out of control LEO"s.Is the situation there as bad as they make it sound? Sounds like something straight out of Nazi Germany.It's almost as if they don't want you there. Hope they have this straightened out by the end of Apr.
I will see if I know of anyone with a spare bed. I think I heard of a few while at AMVIV and will start checking for you.

As for the LEOs, it does sound scary but the odds are in your favor--with hundreds of MINIs there at one time, how many can they pull over? :lol: On a serious note, I've heard mixed stories on this from people getting ridiculous tickets like having a GPS screen visible to the driver getting you a ticket to people seeing not a single LEO over several days. I plan to stay on my side of the yellow and stick to the speed limit but still am leary. I enjoy driving the non-Dragon routes in the area as much and over-enforcement will put many of us on those roads instead.
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

MOTD

Post by BLUGOOSE »

Thanks Johnna for those words of encouragement.I just don't want to get a ticket for something as simple as no front license plate. Which by the way I don't have.
Just had a Parkville cop stop me for no front plate on my Jimmy. Luckily he didn't write me. :oops: Also thanks for trying to find accomodations for me. :thumbsup2:
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

I also plan on doing my driving on the NC side. While the Dragon is a challenging drive, the roads in NC are more fun and give you a chance to enjoy the scenery. If the reports from TN are accurate then it won't matter if you are following the law to the letter, if they need another ticket to fill their quota for the day, you are going to get pulled over. This is what happens when Law Enforcement is used for revenue enhancement instead of public safety. If the TN Highway Patrol officers are like the officers here they are not any happier being stuck doing this than we are about them doing it. It ends up being like having to work on holidays, they don't like it and that makes it even worse on the people they stop.
David & Debra
sundance
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sundance »

Looks like I'm heading to the Dragon too this year. The Motoringfile/Whiteroofradio cabin should be party central on Friday night. That's all I'm authorized to say for now.

This trip should be LEG - EN - DARY!
2006 John Cooper Works GP - Stock
matti the mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by matti the mini »

WOW!

I can't believe how many from the Metro area are going to attend this year!

Also, a quick update - some know this already, but I have business in Paducah on Wednesday - and hope to meet up with any or all caravanning through on Thursday.

I'll be driving from KC to Paducah on Tuesday afternoon for any heading out then. There are some fun roads if you head south on 55 then east as you get to Sikeston.

Sikeston is a great stop - Lamberts - home of the throwed roll! Dave, Debra and I stopped there last year.
Bentley

Gertti - MCS '13 - BRG2, JCW Tuner Package, and more!

formerly:
Matti - MCS '004- BRG, premium, sport, cold, bonnet stripes, boot stripes, rally lights, window tint, nav - british voice mod, Helix CAI and 15% reduction pully, euro parcel shelf
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

If anyone is wanting MOTD window stickers they are for sale here.

Well that did not stay up long. He has already closed the sale.
Last edited by ddmini on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David & Debra
Hi Ho Silver

MINI5280 is going to the Dragon again this year

Post by Hi Ho Silver »

and for the 4th year running, we are coming thru KC. Here is our agenda:

- Monday, April 28th - Jonathan is meeting Jim from NE (he of the Dragon Wagon) in KC in the afternoon. Meeting us is RockyMC40 from Colorado also. That evening, we are headed downt to eastern OK near Vinita for the evening.
- Tuesday, April 29th - Twisities all day long in Arkansas, reaching Memphis by evening for some BBQ.
- Wednesday, April 30th - Heading to the Dragon, eta mid-afternoon.

Return trip is Sunday and Monday, the 4th and 5th.

Anyone wanna come along? If so, call me and we can work it out.

Thanks,

Jonathan Souza
MINI5280.org
303-807-9483

JPS
sundance
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sundance »

Sorry to say my plans have changed and I will no longer be heading to the Dragon this year. Hope you all have a fun and safe time.
2006 John Cooper Works GP - Stock
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Rooms at Fontana

Post by BLUGOOSE »

I know of a cabin with a room with two single beds avail. :o If interested please PM me and I'll give you the details :thumbsup2:
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

I watch the AccuWeatherwebsite which was pretty accurate last year and the weather looks fantastic for this year :D
David & Debra
Hi Ho Silver

Hey Goose!

Post by Hi Ho Silver »

When did you decide to go down? Will you be joining Jim (Zyamfier with the Dragon Wagon) and I on Monday afternoon, or otherwise?

JPS
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

No, unfortunately we can not leave until the 1st, so we will miss the first day and at least part of the 2nd.
David & Debra
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Hey Goose!

Hi Ho Silver wrote:When did you decide to go down? Will you be joining Jim (Zyamfier with the Dragon Wagon) and I on Monday afternoon, or otherwise?

JPS
We are headed out on Tuesday morning, bright and early, along with Matti the Mini, Davester and BluGoose. See ya there!
matti the mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by matti the mini »

I've been told that it is a "rolling" start along I-70 and 291 HWY -

I believe the caravan is passing through that intersection about 6:30 am on Tuesday.
Bentley

formerly:
Matti - MCS '004- BRG, premium, sport, cold, bonnet stripes, boot stripes, rally lights, window tint, nav - british voice mod, Helix CAI and 15% reduction pully, euro parcel shelf
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

If you have not received the email from NAM, the 2008 MOTD Welcome Guide is ready for download here.
David & Debra
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

Have fun and be safe.
matti the mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by matti the mini »

Whoo Hoo...Tomorrow is the BIG Day!!!!!

See you somewhere along I 70 about 6:30 to join the caravan.
Bentley

formerly:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Have a fun trip, we'll expecting full documentation WITH photo's upon your return! :lol:
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)