UPDATED --- DE at Heartland Park in May

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

And let's hope it's not 106* in August like it was last year..........
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

Yes, August is always the swelter box. Nonetheless, I penciled in the 1st weekend.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
MiniJayhawk

Post by MiniJayhawk »

It isn't called "Surface of the Sun" Driving School for nuthin'. :D Unfortunately, we don't have much say in what time of yer it is. We only have some say in which particular weekend we get during a time period given to us by Heartland.
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

MiniJayhawk wrote:It looks like it will be sometime during the first couple of weekends in August. Most likely the first weekend in August. We are meeting with Heartland Park next weekend to try and finalize our spot on the calendar.

Thanks for the interest! We are really pushing hard to get more involvement between the BMW and Mini Clubs. If you have any ideas on how to cultiate more interest and participants for the August DE, we are all ears. We typically get a block of room set aside at a discount at the hotel just minutes from the track so as we get closer I will update you on those prices and arrangements. That hotel is typically party central Friday and Saturday nights and it is much easier to crash and get up in the morning to a free breakfast and be just minutes from the track, if your budget allows. :D
Good to hear! Several have also attempted to drive interest in autocrossing as an additional venue to get these cars out to do what they're made to do :D

viewtopic.php?t=1066&highlight=
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

JRutherford wrote:
Good to hear! Several have also attempted to drive interest in autocrossing as an additional venue to get these cars out to do what they're made to do :D

I know there is interest among club members to learn more about autocrossing. Would you, or perhaps OasisT, host a demo for club members only? What I'm asking for isn't an invite to come out and watch an autocross day, but more a short instructional introduction to autocross so that those interested can get a better idea what's involved.

Johnna
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
MiniJayhawk

Post by MiniJayhawk »

The BMW Club, through a few of its autocross competitors, puts on an autocross school each summer. I think we are doing one in June, but don't quote me on that. I can see about adding the Mini Club to that group of potential participants. Tons of seat time and good instruction.

[Edit] Just read your link. :D Joining the BMW Club is relatively cheap and the Club magazine, Roundel, is worth the membership fee alone. It pays for itself if you do a couple of our events at cheaper prices than other Clubs.
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

ragtopday wrote:
JRutherford wrote:

I know there is interest among club members to learn more about autocrossing. Would you, or perhaps OasisT, host a demo for club members only? What I'm asking for isn't an invite to come out and watch an autocross day, but more a short instructional introduction to autocross so that those interested can get a better idea what's involved.

Johnna
Hi Johnna,

I believe the best opportunity for this would be the BMW autox instruction day noted above - while there would be cars other than Minis present, it is a very friendly group of car enthusiasts. I believe I had the only Mini there as a student last year (OasisT is an incredibly accomplished autocrosser at the national level and was instructing), but it'd be great to have other Mini owners get involved through this safe, inexpensive event - also an opportunity to get to know local KC BMW club members.

As for the BMW CCA, membership is $40 year, provides an excellent monthly publication which does include Mini content, as well as access to local club events and I believe some local discounts. I've been involved w/ the club to some extent over most of the past 15+ years, in different parts of the country, and found it to be a great enthusiast organization. More details may be found here: www.bmwcca.org

Justin
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

Justin,

I think your suggestion is a great one. I think the time spent with friendly folks in the BMW club sounds great. I'm in favor of auto x exploration, touring laps and drivers ed at HPT.

$40 to become a member of the BMW club? Sounds quite reasonable.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

Ok, I just went to the BMW site as linked in previous post. As I have found so typical of Kansas City (the midwest?) No events posted for 2008. Why have I chosen to be shipwrecked in the middle of nowhere? The land of stock hubcaps? The land of five people out of 1.5 million who who would actually mod a new car? I'm beginning to feel like punk_mini, when he remarked that we're lame old farts who would rather eat than drive. :twisted: :lol:
sliboa
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sliboa »

Hey Don, at least we're close to Heartland. I don't know about the rest of you, but I really can't wait for April to roll around.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

I'm Cory and I'm CANADIAN
MiniJayhawk

Post by MiniJayhawk »

Trust me, if you get involved you will find more mod-crazy car people around here than you know what to do with. 8) We have tech sessions all of the time. Weekend drives. DE's. Autocross schools. You name it.

For some god-awful reason, the national site has failed to mention any of the midwest events with any consistency. Of course, we also need to get our '08 calendar finalized to get them the dates to put on their website. :wink:
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

I just felt like being a whiner yesterday... :lol:

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and every time I return to visit friends, I'm amazed to see all the awesome, vintage and custom cars that are daily sightings. They're as common as bicycles in Beijing. In Kansas City, If I see a 2002, or MY GAWD, a 2800 cs, it's a notable moment. While talking to a Porsche mechanic recently, he informed me that there's about 50 speedsters in KC--I would have guessed 5. It's as if we live in the land of automotive prohibition. So, I look forward to joining the BMW speakeasy.

Cory, you're right about abut HPT-- it is close and we are lucky for that. Hopefully the new private track that's going in up near the airport will have a few public (or at least greatly discounted group events) events. $85K memberships is about $84K too rich for me :D :shock:
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

dimini,

Here're a couple add'l links you may find helpful:

KC BMW Club homepage:
http://www.kcbmwclub.com/

KC BMW Club forum:
http://www.kcbmwclub.com/forum/

Justin
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

dimini wrote:In Kansas City, If I see a 2002, or MY GAWD, a 2800 cs, it's a notable moment. While talking to a Porsche mechanic recently, he informed me that there's about 50 speedsters in KC--I would have guessed 5. It's as if we live in the land of automotive prohibition. So, I look forward to joining the BMW speakeasy.

Sounds like I'm not alone - it just may take a little more effort to seek out your car "fix" in the KC area, but there are opportunities to be had :D Certainly not as many European classics running around KC these days, but I'm not sure that's only isolated to the Midwest (definitely weather is a factor this time of year). Having just relocated from Dallas and having lived in Atlanta for a number of years prior, there just weren't many vintage Bimmers, Porsches, etc. on the road in the South either (though I was one of them, having owned and restored a couple pristine round tail light 2002tiis in the past). Speaking of which, there is a group of pretty dedicated 02 guys around here - check out www.my2002tii.com for a detailed log of local KC BMW owner restoring a very nice Tii. The KC BMW club has several car shows scheduled during the year - also there is also an all British show as well as other make specific showings during warmer months. I'm still working to get a bead on local events, but will try to post here as I become aware of different options.

Btw, if you really want to get your fill of an AWESOME vintage event, head up to Wisconsin this summer for the Brian Redman historic races at Road America in Elkhart Lake (trust me, it's definitely worth the trip) - it's truly sensory overload for the car enthusiast at argualby one of the very greatest greatest road race venues in North America.
http://roadamerica.com/races_bric.htm
Link to pics taken from attending '06 event:
http://www.flickr.com/gp/12516733@N04/r62NC7
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

2002tii. As a teen in 1976, I envied the tennis pro at the resort where I spent working summers because he had an orange 2002ti (ti? or tii). Three years later, I still couldn't afford a 1600 or 2002, so I built up a Datsun 510. As it turns out, the only car to ever compare to my first "automotive" love- the 510, is my current '06 R53 JCW.

Ahhh Elkhart Lake... A buddy of mine is planning to roadtrip his speedster replica from KC up to this year's event. I most likely have schedule conflicts and won't be a part :( . Sounds like the "Sturgis" of vintage street and race cars of all makes. Maybe 2009!

Thanks for the BMW info. and I do look forward to the HPT events and plan to be a part. I hope other MINI owners jump in as well. I know there's at least 3 others interested in a DE event.
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

First Tii I owned was an Inka Orange '72 - had great fun restoring it during college and as you often hear, wish I had never sold it. 510 - those are also very cool cars! Check out my flickr link for some nice ones - there are typically a few nice examples running during the event. Funny you should mention the comparison of the Datsun to your car - I feel the same way about the 02 relative to the Mini. Having owned a number of different sports cars and sedans since then, none really compared until I got behind the wheel of the Mini - definitely the greatest smile per $ factor on the market.

The Elkhart Lake trip is the one date on my summer calendar which is non-negotiable :-)

Look forward to meeting you at an upcoming event sometime.

Justin
Last edited by JRutherford on Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

MiniJayhawk

Post by MiniJayhawk »

UPDATE!!!!!

The BMW DE is not going to happen this year. I encourage everyone to sign up for the AUdi Club DE at Heartland Park May 17-18.

Regisration and information is here:
http://www.motorsportreg.com/pap/eventl ... 36BCAF917F

The BMW and Audi events are essentially run and instructed by the same people and have the same "learning first" attitude as described above. Let me know if you have any questions. I do not know if they will offer discounts for a large group, but it is well worth it for everyone to attend that has a willingness to learn and have AN ABSOLUTE BLAST!!! :D
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I was just going to add the Audi event for consideration, I'm already signed up for it as I have an Audi, however I have not heard back from the event organizers that they will allow us to bring our MINI's too.........I have emailed them but not heard back yet.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniJayhawk

Post by MiniJayhawk »

There is no limitation on type/brand/marque of car. It only needs to pass technical inspection which Baron BMW/Mini will do for you. If you are a BMW Club member they often do them for free. I don't know about Mini Club members.
OCDBoy

Post by OCDBoy »

Minidave wrote:I was just going to add the Audi event for consideration, I'm already signed up for it as I have an Audi, however I have not heard back from the event organizers that they will allow us to bring our MINI's too.........I have emailed them but not heard back yet.
Hey Minidave, was alerted to your post and wanted to see what info you need. I'm the Eventmaster for the Audi DE (and a Mini owner) and can answer any of your questions. Where did you send a email about the event? Very concerned you sent a note and nobody received it!

All of the Mini coupes are welcome at our school with the exception of convertables. Unfortunately, Audi Club has banned them from all Drivers Schools due to safety concerns (don't ask me, wasn't my decision).

Also, like the BMW Club you must pay the annual dues of $44 for the club membership to attend.

Other than that, would love to have the mini club out for the event, you'll receive a ton of instruction and learn a bunch.

Hope to see you guys out for the event!

kris.loveless@sbcglobal.net
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Kris, sorry to be slow answering your post, seems I lost track of it momentarily. I had sent an email to the link posted on the Audi site, marked only as "Registrar of the event" and did not receive a reply, glad to know you are the man to contact, also glad to hear that our MINIs will be welcome, maybe we can get 10 or so to show up then!

Now all I have to decide is whether to drive the Audi or the MINI! :lol:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"