SCCA Meet in the Middle Rally (Road Rally)

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

SCCA Meet in the Middle Rally (Road Rally)

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

More fun stuff to do--yippee!! :D Road Rallying is a blast--this sounds like great fun!

Courtesy of Dan from the HAZCC, here's info on the SCCA Meet in the Middle Rally:

The first scheduled Rally is the Meet-In-The-Middle Rally May 17th. This Rally starts cars from Wichita and Kansas City and at some point the 2 packs converge and Rally together to the finish line. Unlike the Buffalo Run Rallys you are given specific directions as where to go, how far, where to turn, etc. You'll also have checkpoints. Some are manned by an SCCA official who'll log your time. Other's may be "unmanned" where you clock yourself. Almost the entire course is run at the posted speed limit and on paved roads so it is very "low stress" for our little darlings (cars).
I want to stress you do NOT have to be a member of the SCCA to participate and registration fee is typically $20 or less per car.
I also want to stress that you do not have to drive your Minis to participate. The last rally of 2007 I drove my Toyota Camry. Over the years I've seen everything from a ''76 Ford Torino to a Ford Conversion van.
You MUST have a Navigator.
This years MitM Rally's finish line will be in Weston so it should be a scenic day.

More info here: http://www.kcrscca.org/
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

That sounds like fun, I used to do road rallying with the Mustang club back in the ahem.......60's and it was a lot of fun!

Gotta think a MINI would make a great vehicle to do this run in tho....

Calendar's gonna get crowded this summer! :thumbsup:
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

Besides my involvement with Heart of America Z Car Club I am also a member of SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) and assist with promoting (as well as participating) in their series.
As mentioned in my earlier email posted here by Johnna, the SCCA Rallys are really a "low maintenance" event. All you need is a road worthy car and like to drive. The route is entirely on paved roads and all speeds are the posted speed limit.
I passed along to Johnna directions/instructions from a previous rally. You are given specific turn-by-turn instructions. Your goal is to hit mileage and, sometimes, time goals.
Your only requirement, besides a road worthy car is you MUST have a navigator to read the instructions to you. You do NOT have to be a member of the SCCA to participate. Entry fee is pretty nominal-typically less than $20 which is to cover trophies, etc.
It's a fun day and I'm always impressed with the routes and roads they take us on. I see something new every time!
More info to follow.
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

Here's an update on the rally. This info is "officially official". BTW, this route is much, MUCH shorter than past MITM's Rallys.

The Meet in the Middle Rally is a TSD (time-speed-distance) Touring Rally
sanctioned by the Kansas Region of the SCCA. It will be the third rally of the
year counting towards the Midwest Division rally championship.
This rally will feature starting locations in both Topeka and Kansas City. The
rally routes from these locations will “meet in the middle” and continue on
together. The rally will finish in Weston, Missouri where dinner and / or liquid
refreshments are available. .
The rally will cover approximately 120 miles of paved rural roads in about three
hours. The rally is a test of precision driving and teamwork between driver and
navigator. Straightforward, non-devious route instructions with specified average
speeds will test the rallyists’ ability to arrive at unknown checkpoint locations on
time, neither early nor late.
Any street-legal automobile capable of normal rural highway speeds can be
entered. A rest stop is planned during the rally, at a convenience stores enroute.
The entry fee is $20 per car for SCCA members and $25 per car for non-SCCA
members. (Both team members must be SCCA members to qualify for the $20
entry fee. The extra $5 covers the required SCCA weekend members for nonmembers).
Pre registration is suggested and available via email to
rbireta@us.ibm.com. (Entry fees do not include post-rally food and beverages).
When: Saturday, May 17, 2008. Registration is 11:00 to 11:30. Drivers’
meetings will be at 11:45 a.m., with first car out at 12:01pm. First car
finishes around 3:00 p.m. in Weston, Missouri.
Where:
Topeka: Wilcox RV Sales
835 NE US-24 Hwy
Topeka, Ks
Kansas City: The Legends Shopping Center
Parallel Parkway and 106th
(Parking Lot west of MacDonalds), KC, KS
Finish: Weston, Missouri
Minor Waiver: Entrants must be 18 years of age or else have SCCA Minor
Release, printed in color, signed and notarized by both parents. THERE
ARE NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS REQUIREMENT! See
http://www.scca.org/_Filelibrary/File/m ... eform2.pdf for the form.
Questions regarding the event may be directed to
rbireta@us.ibm.com or alfabert@yahoo.com
or Rich 785 842 5097 or 785 691 7437
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I'm in, this looks like a fun day! Now I need a navigator..........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
petek

Post by petek »

Sounds like great fun!
Marlow Main
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Marlow Main »

Sadly, I will have to miss this one... too many events in May/June (anniversary parties, wedding and graduations). This one would have been a challenge... Scott dose not believe I can drive the posted "recommended guidelines" for speed.

Have Fun!!!!!
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

This might be a stupid question but how do rally's work?
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

The rally is a test of precision driving and teamwork between driver and
navigator. Straightforward, non-devious route instructions with specified average
speeds will test the rallyists’ ability to arrive at unknown checkpoint locations on
time, neither early nor late.

You and your navigator leave from a specific location with a printed set of instructions that tell you where to turn etc. The entire trip should take a specific amount of time, and each segment is timed as well. Every time you arrive early or late at a checkpoint along the route you lose points, the ones with the lowest point score wins.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Oh that sounds kinda fun...
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
petek

Post by petek »

I'm fairly certain I've convinced my wife that this would be fun. The kicker seemed to be when I mentioned that the end of the rally was in Weston.

I probably won't bring the MINI on this one, instead I'll bring the MINI's older brother...

:wink:

So, who else is going?
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

It doesn't matter what car you drive as long as you are there! I did one rally last year in my daily driver.

Referring to an earlier post, please email Rich Bireta to confirm you're coming. He needs to know so he can provide enough routes, etc.

Hoping to see a lot of you there Saturday!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I'm coming, but I'm still working out who my aggravator, er.... navigator will be........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
petek

Post by petek »

MINI's older brother:

:D

Just got to double-check with the Mrs. and make sure my bank account can handle the gas bill!
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Minidave wrote:I'm coming, but I'm still working out who my aggravator, er.... navigator will be........
I'd offer to be your navigator but I won't be here the day of the rally.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
saturn

Post by saturn »

We'll be there, hope to finally meet some of ya!
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

Congrats to the MINI Club. You had 3 cars participate in the MITM which was the best turn out of all the clubs I contacted!!! Thank you so much for your participation.

I believe we all had a GREAT time in spite of getting really, REALLY lost. I hope even more of you will participate in the next Rally.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

We had a great time, and in spite of this being Ivan's first time and my last one was in the '60's, we did pretty good. We did not get lost and we were only a minute off the correct time at the first checkpoint!

Can't wait till we see how we did on the overall!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
petek

Post by petek »

Was that fun or what?!?!?!

Dave... you took 4th.

I took 7th - not bad at all given the 45 minute detour that three cars took (my Cobra being one of the three).

Great roads, great scenery, WONDERFUL weather!
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

I blame the navigator on our 4th place finish.....wait thats me, oh well not bad for the first time. Cant wait until the next one.
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

Again, thanks for your participation and I'm gratified that you all seemed to have enjoyed it much as I'd hoped.
Total drive time was less than 4 hours-including getting lost time-and I think the total distance was maybe 150 miles. For my car, I used right at 1/2 tank of gas. Including the entry fee I feel I got a lot of "bang for my buck".
One of the day's high points for me was the rally included my hometown of Atchison and continued across the river into the bluffs of Missouri. I had no idea such fabulous roads and scenery were there.
I encourage the three who participated to keep your rally instructions or make a note of the roads we took so you can go back again. I know I am!
I'll keep you posted on future Rallys.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Are the results posted somewhere?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

Not yet. Rich indicated they would be posted on www.kcrscca.org .
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Then how do we know where we finished?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
saturn

Post by saturn »

DEFINATE F-U-N, except the part where I showed up at the checkpoint and I was the only dirty car! :lol: We'll blame that one on the navigator!! Was also glad to see that the whole drive I averaged 34.5 mpg's! The whole drive was beautiful and the ending point, the town of Weston, was the best place to end the rally at in my opinion. I have never been there and I can without a doubt say that I think I have found my new favorite weekend drive destination. Thanks Much for letting us participate! Great to meet some of the fellow miniacs as well!