Heartland Park Touring Laps - May 2008

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
kabootist

Heartland Park Touring Laps - May 2008

Post by kabootist »

May 14th seems to be the day. I will be in attendance and already registered.

List of people:

Kabootist
hctiev
MiniJayhawk (instructing)
dimini
MiniDave
petek (pending)
Last edited by kabootist on Mon May 05, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

I'm waiting to hear if they are going to allow me to move my registration from April to May.
MiniJayhawk

Post by MiniJayhawk »

I should be there instructing.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

I plan to be there for the May 14 event. Let's hope they have a few more folks working the event this time.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I'm in, as always, and especially since this will be the last one I can do till Sept. due to other commitments this summer. I'm still really hoping to do MITM this year..........if I'm not in Monterey at the historics.....and if other events don't conspire against me. 8) :?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

I'll be missing the May 14th Touring Laps at HPT. Had surgery on my big toe. Hate to miss the fun!
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
petek

Post by petek »

I'm going to try to make the May event but I won't know until next week.

(sigh)

Too many irons in the fire...
Race
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Race »

I was hoping to make it this month, but I will be out of town. Maybe June!
03 MINI Cooper, SS+, Koni Coilovers, Camber, 19mm Rr Bar, 225/45/15 BFG Rivals on 15x8 Rota RBs, GIAC, Custom K&N CAI, Magnaflow Header, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, Corbeau Seat, MOMO wheel, G Force 5 pt harness.
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

Where we planning on meeting this time? Any suggestions?
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

I should be in.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

I'd be up for meeting at Bryants, again.
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

I'll do Aurthur Bryant's. It's a bit heavy, but that will work.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

MINIdave has requested that we do a different lunch venue than Bryants. I'm fine with any of the joints in that neighborhood. Should we consider going back to Ted Montanas?
sliboa
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sliboa »

I'll be at the track on Wednesday. I'm a tentative 'yes' for lunch, but I'm not certain right now.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

I'm Cory and I'm CANADIAN
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Ted's Montana works for me...............1 pm as usual then?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

I'm good with Ted's, 1 PM it is!
petek

Post by petek »

Wooo-hooo! I'm in for Wednesday; gonna test out them thar new rotors and pads that I put on the MINI over the winter.

I'll meet everyone at the track.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Cool Pete, glad you can make it. Are you bringing your lap time recording setup?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
petek

Post by petek »

Yep. I never did get enough time to play with it last year so I still don't know wth I'm doing... but it is fun none-the-less!
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

So we're at Ted's at 1pm. See you guys there.
sliboa
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sliboa »

I won't be able to make lunch, so I'll meet everyone at the track.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

I'm Cory and I'm CANADIAN
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

Cory - We'll see you at HPT!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Wow, I was totally pooped by the time I got home last night at about 9:30, but this has to be one of the best sessions we've had at Heartland Park! What a blast!

We met at Ted's Montan for lunch then headed west to the track, stopping for fuel and water along the way. The weather couldn't have been nicer, a light breeze and the upper 60's and sunny.

The track was clean, the staff were plentiful and well organized (unlike last month) and everything went off without a hitch. We got to run 4 sessions - which is plenty BTW! - and other than a couple of guys who would not move over and let us by, things went really well. I went fast enough to overheat my brake fluid by the last session of the day (I think Pete had this problem too) and as a real bonus, I got to have MINIJayhawk as my instructor the last session.

All I can say about Minijayhawk is that he's a real asset to the MINI club's track events (and the club) and if you get the opportunity to have him ride with you or to ride with him - don't miss it! You'll learn a ton and be going faster and smoother by the end of even one session. I was lucky to get to do both, drive and then ride with him in his 08 MCS. Fun stuff!

Here are the video's from my first three sessions, I did not record the last one with Minijayhawk riding and instructing - wish I had!

(BTW, listen to the exhaust on that Vette in the third vid, talk about burble!)

Session One

Session Two

Session Three
Last edited by Minidave on Thu May 15, 2008 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniJayhawk

Post by MiniJayhawk »

Thanks! I had a great time meeting you guys (again) and jumping in the car with the man, the legend, Minidave. :D He was smooth with his inputs which makes it much easier to go fast by finding different lines, braking points, turn in, etc. He did great! I wasn't nearly as smooth as I wanted to be, but I am still sorting out the car and getting used to front wheel drive again. The R56 was outstanding!!! It far exceeded my expectations and look forward to getting out there with the guys I am used to driving with to compare it to my old E36 M3. I was able to basocally hang even with Brian's BMW 135i, but I think he suffered from the stock runflat tires a bit. the R56 had much more available oooompf coming out of corners than I thought it would.

All in all a good night at the track and I look forward to seeing more of you out there! Hopefully some of you can come out this weekend to the Audi event and jump in with some instructors for some hot laps to experience it yourself.
petek

Post by petek »

GREAT FUN!

The last session I did, in fact, loose my brakes due to the brake fluid boiling. Darn interesting coming over the hill at 100+ mph and finding your brake pedal going to the floor without the car slowing.

(Applying even MORE pedal did slow the car so I stayed on the track but really, really, really changed my braking points!)

I'll be changing the fluid this weekend or next and then I'll be looking at some way of ducting some cooling air to the front rotors.

Oh, the new brake rotors and pads work GREAT!!! I don't think there was a car out there that I couldn't out brake in a corner. I kept going deeper and deeper into braking and the car kept giving me more!

Somethin' like the ol' racing adage: "I was going so fast I was seeing Jesus at the end of every straight. It happened so often I started using him as a brake marker."

:)