Heartland Park Touring Laps - May 2008

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
sliboa
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sliboa »

This was the best track day I've ever had. Being in the intermediate group was really great. As you can see from the following video, I had a clear track for almost the entire time I was out there. Granted, most of this was due to the fact that almost every car out there had two or three times the power I did, but I was able to let them by in the straights, then work on the rest of the lap without having to worry about holding up anyone.

I only had enough battery in the camera to record about a session and a half. I'll work on editing the first session tonight, but right now, I have the first half of the second session. The batteries in the camera died right as I was getting on front straight on my fifth lap. But, as you can see, I have five full laps by myself. It was absolutely the most fun I've had in a car.

Session 2 (1st half)

For the first two sessions, I was downshifting into second gear about halfway through the lap (I don't remember what turn numbers). For the last two sessions, though, I left it in third gear the entire time and I actually found that I was going much more smoothly and quickly. Unfortunately, I don't have video for the last two sessions. I'll have to get some better batteries, and try to fix the camera bouncing issue by next month.

I'll try and get the first session, which was probably my roughest, up tonight. And any comments and critiques are definitely welcomed and encouraged.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

I'm Cory and I'm CANADIAN
MiniJayhawk

Post by MiniJayhawk »

petek -- Giving the brake a quick pump before going into them hard helps in that situation. Also, go with Motul 600 brake fluid when you change it. Works great on the street (won't notice a difference form stock fluid) and you won't boil it on the track.
petek

Post by petek »

MiniJayhawk wrote:petek -- Giving the brake a quick pump before going into them hard helps in that situation. Also, go with Motul 600 brake fluid when you change it. Works great on the street (won't notice a difference form stock fluid) and you won't boil it on the track.
Yep, a quick pump or two really did help.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Motul 600!

I'm just amazed at how well the MINI comes down from speed with the new rotors and pads. I did get the ABS (just) kickin' on a couple of times but that has more to do with my lack of skill in braking than a limitation of the brakes.

There simply has to be some way we can do this once a week! :)
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

I've already volunteered a large sum of my future lottery winnings to building a track somewhere off of K-10. Now if i could just win the lottery...
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

Guys - sorry for my early departure. I did in fact have a map sensor go bad that caused me to exit the track just as soon as I got on in the third session.
Wanting to ensure I would still be able to drive this weekend at the Audi HPDE, I got it replace today. The car is no longer throwing codes.

I'm looking forward to two full days of learning and having fun at the track.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Great! I was hoping it wouldn't keep you from going this weekend.........spend is much time as you can with Minijayhawk!

BTW, I did see you tonight at 95th and Antioch!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
sliboa
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sliboa »

Here is my first session of the day. I had to cut out the warm up and cool down laps to make it fit on youtube.

Session 1
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Man Cory, I thought you might have been the only car on the track for most of that video! :lol:

You Tube doesn't seem to compress the video nealy as bad as Google does, what's their size limit?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
sliboa
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sliboa »

It's not so much the size, which I believe they limit to 1GB, that is the problem, but the 10 minute length limit.