Mini In The Mountains

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Mini In The Mountains

Post by Laurie »

Who all is planning on making the trip this August to Copper Mountain in Colorado for the 3rd Annual MITM?

We are seriously thinking of going this year. It sounds like a lot of fun. I have done some research on a condo rental for the 4 nights and have found one that would nicely sleep 6 (8 if you don't mind a sofa bed). It is a really great deal and is pet friendly. Anyone interested in sharing the cost?
~Laurie~

2022 Midnight Black Metalic MINI Cooper SE “Electric Boogie”
2005 Chili Red MCS "Kevin"

2016 Blazing Red Metallic 4 door MCS
RIP 2013 Blazing Red Metallic Justa Countryman

First MINI 2005 Black Eye Purple MCS
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I will be there! We haven't figured out our lodging arrangements as of yet.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

The condo Laurie has checked into looks really nice and has a beautiful view from two balconies. If anyone is planning to go, you might give it consideration plus the price is good. :)

Johnna
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

The wife and I are about 90% sure we're there, but I think we already have accommodations too. I'll try to find out to make sure.
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
Marlow Main
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Marlow Main »

We will be making this trip again this year. The roads in Colorado were made for a MINI. We have our room at Copper already.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Sweet. I am glad to see such a good turn-out from the KC folks. I know of one MINI from Louisville that will be making the trip! This is going to be great.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I'd love to go to this sometime....but I have to choose between this and another big Scion show in September...
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

It looks like registration may open any day now!
~Laurie~

Marlow Main
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Marlow Main »

General info will be posted on NAM, but registration and all the details will be on the new MINI In The Mountains website soon.

http://www.minisinthemountains.com/
Marlow Main
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Marlow Main »

Registration is now open!!!! YEAH!!!
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

We're still looking for someone to share a condo with. If we get 6 people, the total for 4 nights is only $83/ea!! That is not per night, that is for all 4 nights. PM me if you are interested.
~Laurie~

MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Laurie wrote:We're still looking for someone to share a condo with. If we get 6 people, the total for 4 nights is only $83/ea!! That is not per night, that is for all 4 nights. PM me if you are interested.
Damn, that is cheap!! Let me call my buddy tonight who is coming from KY. I don't think we will stay all four nights, but that is a GREAT price. I will let you know tonight.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Laurie wrote:We're still looking for someone to share a condo with. If we get 6 people, the total for 4 nights is only $83/ea!! That is not per night, that is for all 4 nights. PM me if you are interested.
Wow that's not bad at all.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

MiniManiac wrote:
Damn, that is cheap!! Let me call my buddy tonight who is coming from KY. I don't think we will stay all four nights, but that is a GREAT price. I will let you know tonight.
That would be great! The place sleeps 8, but only 6 comfortably. My husband and I + 4 more would be great! If someone doesn't mind sleeping on a sofa bed, you can add 1 to 2 more. (the price would be even cheaper then!) 8)
~Laurie~

MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Laurie wrote:
MiniManiac wrote:
That would be great! The place sleeps 8, but only 6 comfortably. My husband and I + 4 more would be great! If someone doesn't mind sleeping on a sofa bed, you can add 1 to 2 more. (the price would be even cheaper then!) 8)
Do you have a link for this place with some pics? I am wondering, because we would be there with our two girls also so it may be too much but we can check it out.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

I assume you mean so you can see it there are other condos available? I have sent you a PM.
~Laurie~

Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

Okay, I am officially excited about making this trip. It will be our first big MINI event (outside of the KC area). Registration is done and condo is reserved.

When does everyone plan on leaving for the drive out to Copper? We plan on going Wednesday.
~Laurie~

Marlow Main
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Marlow Main »

We will leave early, early on Thursday morning. Last year we left Parkville at 2:30 am and pulled in to Copper at 1:45 pm. We will probably head out about the same time this year on Thursday am.

If you are planning on motoring any of the Mount Evan rides, you might want to pick up your park ticket on the way in to save some time. Also, there is a small 2 bay car wash in Idaho Springs with hot water, which is great for getting the bat size bugs of your MINI, before you head into Copper. :D
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

Some advice needed from those of you who have been to MITM before. What sort of items should we make sure we don't forget to pack?

I assume it gets cool at night so jackets are suggested. Is there a need for chairs or a blanket? How about a small cooler? I suppose detailing accessories if you want a shiny MINI? I have never been to Colorado (at least as an adult) let alone a huge MINI event. I want to be prepared.
Last edited by Laurie on Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Laurie~

Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

you might want to bring a chair and a blanket just in case. you never know when you might need it...
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Laurie wrote:Some advice needed from those of you who have been to MITM before. What sort of items should we make sure we don't forget to pack?

I assume it gets cool at night so jackets are suggested. Is there a need for chairs or a blanket? How about a small cooler? I suppose detailing accessories if you want a shiny MINI? I have never been to Colorado (at least as an adult) let alone a huge MINI event. I want to be prepared.
Today it is 58 degrees and cold. Yesterday it was hot. It will get cool at night, so bring long pants and a light jacket or sweatshirt. We are planning brining food for lunch and such. Depending on room available, we may just pick it up in town. Bring a bottle to fill up water. Due to the altitude, you will dehydrate quickly. Also, bring sunscreen -again you are over 6K feet closer to the sun. You will literally burn in minutes out here. If you want to detail your car, you will obviously need some supplies for that also. I hope you still have room in the MINI for the pooch :).
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Laurie wrote:Some advice needed from those of you who have been to MITM before. What sort of items should we make sure we don't forget to pack?

Here are a few things I pack:

Sunscreen/hat/shades
Daytime clothes (shorts, Ts)
Evening clothes (sweatshirt or jacket, maybe long pants)
Chair & blanket if you like to sit around instead of stand around :)
$$ for the vendors (lotsa goodies!)
Snacks and a cooler for beverages is handy
Detailing bucket (car wash area, but your own accessories are always nice)
Camera
Fully loaded iPod for the drive out

Last year I wished I had hiking shoes to participate in a few non-MINI activities. If you plan on doing anything like riding the chair lift and hiking/scootering down the mountain or biking the trail, bring the *right* stuff. I sure didn't!

The dinners are casual, no fancy clothes required. Speaking of that, who is going to the dinners? We're considering Friday but not Saturday (other commitment for us on Saturday).
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

Thanks for the ideas guys! The iPod goes without saying! A 10 hour drive one way requires much tunage to get me through :wink:

Since we haven't been before, we have signed up for dinner on both Friday and Saturday. Plus the drive through Rocky Mountain National Park ends at Winter Park, the location of Friday's dinner.

Does everyone plan on doing the midnight ride to MT. Evens on Saturday?
~Laurie~

MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

We are signing up for the Friday dinner, but not Saturday.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Marlow Main
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Marlow Main »

Laurie, if you plan on driving up Mt Evans at Midnight, be sure to pack a heavy coat, gloves and a hat or scarf. It will be cold and windy up at that altitude at night. We will be driving up Mt Evans at midnight again, but I am not sure which night yet. We also left really early last year (around 4:00 am) so could watch the sun come up over Mount Evans. It was beautiful! We shared the mountain with the big horn sheep, goats and small mammals as they woke up and started their day.

Another thing to remember is to keep hydrated. It is really easy to get dehydrated due to the altitude, so remember to drink lots of fluids.

If you plan on participating in the chalk drawings, you might want to bring along a box of your own Crayola chalk. The brand they pass out for general use fades quickly.

As for the dinners, we only signed up for the Saturday Night Vendor dinner.

Only 50 days left.... :wink: