Heartland Park Touring Laps - June 11th

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Hey, we all gotta work, but sometimes you just gotta go play too! :lol:

There are three more events this summer in July, August and Sept, maybe you can come with us to one of them?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

Do you HAVE to wear a long sleeved shirt? The paperwork I downloaded with the registration says short sleeves. I really don't want to wear long sleeves when it is going to be 80+ degrees out! :?
~Laurie~

2022 Midnight Black Metalic MINI Cooper SE “Electric Boogie”
2005 Chili Red MCS "Kevin"

2016 Blazing Red Metallic 4 door MCS
RIP 2013 Blazing Red Metallic Justa Countryman

First MINI 2005 Black Eye Purple MCS
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Dave wrote......

The only thing you need is a helmet, and it must have the current Snell rating...... a long sleeve shirt is recommended, but if it's really hot out they don't care if you wear short sleeves. No shorts tho, and closed toe shoes - no sandals............
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

Bring a hat. There is very little shade and it's still a bit sunny early on. You might also consider some sunscreen and a cooler full of water or gatorade.
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

I will join you guys for lunch, figure i shouldn't give up on experiecing Culvers for the first time with fellow Mini Motorererererers
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Great! See you at lunch!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
sliboa
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sliboa »

I'm actually able to make lunch this time, believe it or not.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

I'm Cory and I'm CANADIAN
Bernard Cline

Post by Bernard Cline »

Sorry, something came up, I am out for today.
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

Cory, glad you can make lunch this time. See you there!
~Laurie~

kabootist

Post by kabootist »

How did it go tonight?
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

I have some pics that I will post as soon as I can process them. It was hard to catch some of these guys with a picture. By the time my camera took the pic the cars were out of frame!

Mostly it was drive fast, brake, turn, repeat. Some excitement with a Miata and a broken radiater hose resulting in a spin out. Dave can tell you more about that one. It was super windy and a bit warmish.

That is just my point of view from the novice standpoint.
~Laurie~

burley

Post by burley »

I got some pics from the event which I can post. It was fun to see you guys out there. I my wife liked seeing how the MINIs handle on the track. I'll post the pics tonight or tomorrow. I was that goofy looking guy with the big white lens. I work for the Topeka Capital-Journal, so they let me shoot on the track. I've been out for SCCA events, and this was just as fun! I'll have to save up and get a helmet...
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

We had a pretty good day, the turnout was a little bit lighter than normal, and we didn't have any Porsches doing spin-outs to watch....... :lol:

As Laurie said, a Miata lost it's top radiator hose and dumped all the water onto his rear tires just as he entered turn 10, he had already slowed up as he saw the "smoke" but as soon as he hit the turn it spun and put him into the concrete barrier - at a fairly slow speed. the driver was not hurt and his car was a bit bent, but it's easily fixable, and I expect to see him back on the track again in the future. I did catch it on video as I was behind him, but I was far enough back that he goes out of frame as he spins so you don't see that much - I'm editing right now and will put them up tonight, so watch this space!

The rest of the day was uneventful, we got in plenty of track time. The wind was pretty stiff out of the south, so it definitely affected my top speed on the front straight, other than that everything went well and we had some great laps!

On the first run of the day the first lap my tires felt like they were coated with grease, but after a couple they settled in nicely, but my car still felt slow, especially on th elong straight. When I came into the pits I figured out why - I had left the A/C on! :roll:

it ran much quicker the rest of the day!

A great time was had by all, and I encourage anyone who has any interest in this to try it, you will learn a ton about your car's (and your own) capabilities and where else can you drive this fast legally? :lol:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

burley wrote:I got some pics from the event which I can post. It was fun to see you guys out there. I my wife liked seeing how the MINIs handle on the track. I'll post the pics tonight or tomorrow. I was that goofy looking guy with the big white lens. I work for the Topeka Capital-Journal, so they let me shoot on the track. I've been out for SCCA events, and this was just as fun! I'll have to save up and get a helmet...
Oh, so you are the one! :wink: Did you happen to get any pics of the chick in the purple MINI?
~Laurie~

Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

Here are my pics of the MINIs. Click on the pic for larger image.

Image[url]
~Laurie~

Bernard Cline

Post by Bernard Cline »

Nice, is it possible to get closer for some pics that show the car much closer at speed or is a bigger lens needed?
Bernard Cline

Post by Bernard Cline »

Sorry, I just answered my own question from another thread about close up pics.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

Those pictures are cool.
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
burley

Post by burley »

Im still working on getting pics up from the other day's track day. I work for the Capital-Journal in Topeka and had to cover tornado damage these last few days in Chapman and Manhattan.

Here's a link...

http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=1887

I'll get the racing photos up in a day or two.

-mike
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Here are the videos I took at HPT, I was trying out a new camera and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the results...........I don't know if it's the camera or the mount at this point.

At approx 4 min of the second vid you can just see the Miata as it looses it's coolant and spins in turn 10. The driver was unhurt and the car just bent a little. The top radiator hose bung broke completely out of the radiator spewing all the coolant onto his back tires causing the spin. Damn plastic radiators!

HPT Session 1

Session 2

Session 3
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
chknlil

Post by chknlil »

Nice video's! I enjoyed watching them!
sliboa
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sliboa »

I finally got around to editing my videos from the track. I'm trying Yahoo video this time. It seems like the quality is just as good as Youtube, and it actually allows me to upload videos that are longer than 10 minutes.

Third Session

Fifth Session
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

I'm Cory and I'm CANADIAN
burley

Post by burley »

OK... as promised. I hope I got everyone! Email me ( photo@mikeburley.com ) if you want prints. I'll do 8x10 for $15. I even snuck the other photog in a frame... he's our summer intern at the paper.

dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

burley-

thanks for the cool photos!

I saw you guys snapping photos but didn't make the connection that you're a fellow mini nut. I had a great time and really enjoyed having fewer drivers on the track (it's a trade-off though, because I like chatting with the diverse crowd that shows up and the more the better)
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

Awesome pics Burley! :thumbsup: I didn't see any of Cory in the black Cooper. Did you miss him?
~Laurie~