Inspection 2?

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Inspection 2?

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

My little blinky number in the dash is getting low (400-ish) so I called the dealer to find out what I'm due for, since I just had the oil changed in April. Seems it's time for Inspection 2, which is $650.

Anyone got any thoughts on the value of this service? Among the things mentioned to me were the belt, wipers, plugs, and air filter. I am getting ready for two fairly long distance trips in the MINI in the next month and would like to make sure everything is a-ok, but it seems a little pricey considering I've already tended to part of the items on the inspection list myself. Thoughts?

Johnna
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

Seems a little pricey to me, too. Who else is working on Mini's these days? I know Hafkemeyer Motors (in Waldo) is, and I'm sure they could probably do this service, but I have no idea what their prices are in comparison. Does that other place that everyone likes (forgot the name, sorry) do regular services? I wouldn't be surprised if Star Motors wasn't ready for that, but I don't know.

Don D
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

KC Autosport in Merriam is a bit cheaper, but not much, I'd recommend doing the stuff you can do on your own first then seeing how much it will be for their checkup. Most of the checks they do, baron does during oil changes. Heres a list of Inspection 2 from the mini website.

The Mini Inspection II is $550 for non automatic and $650 for CVT automatic.

The items on the service maintenance checklist –
Change oil
Replace micro filter
Check brakes
Check parking brake
Check transmission for leaks
Change CVT transmission fluid
Half-shafts check for leaks
Check fuel tank, lines and connections for leaks
Check exhaust system
Check power steering
Check front axle joints and steering
Check brake system
Check parking brake
Check all tires and pressures and condition
Inspect entire body for rust
Read out diagnostic system
Check engine cooling system/heater hoses and coolant level
Replace ploy v-belt
Check brake fluid
Replace brake fluid – every 2 years
Check washer fluid level and antifreeze protection
Check air conditioner operation
Replace ventilation system micro filter
Check battery and charge if required
Check lighting system
Check instrument panel and dashboard
Check all warning lights
Check turn signal, hazard, brake lights, horn, head lights
Check wiper system and jet position
Check condition of safety belts
Check central locking system
Check all latches
Check heater/air blower fan and rear defogger
Check rear view mirrors
Examine SRS airbag units
Check sunroof/convert top operation
Road test
Check shock absorbers for leaks
100k replace spark plugs
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I like kabootist's idea of editing the list for what I've already done or can do and then seeing what that leaves me with. The list is pretty extensive and includes transmission fluid change for the CVT transmission so I probably better take it in.
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Don't give into the dealer!! NOOOOOO!! Just kidding, make sure that MINI is in top shape when you bring it out here. :P
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

I thought service was included during the warranty period. ???
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

hctiev wrote:I thought service was included during the warranty period. ???
I'm out of warranty in both years and miles. I think they said Inspection 2 is around 60,000 miles but is performance based or something like that. I'm beyond 60,000 and am not quite to the "0" point but will be soon.
speed_racer

Post by speed_racer »

ragtopday wrote:
hctiev wrote:I thought service was included during the warranty period. ???
I'm out of warranty in both years and miles. I think they said Inspection 2 is around 60,000 miles but is performance based or something like that. I'm beyond 60,000 and am not quite to the "0" point but will be soon.
Interesting. I was going to ask at what mileage this was due. I am currently at 66k+ and am slightly overdue (bad MINI owner, bad!) for an oil change. I wonder if they will hit me for this inspection at the same time?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I'm going in Thursday for the third repair on my miserable cruise control, with 58K + on my car, I expect to get hit up too........but I can and will do the work myself, it's just not that hard on this car.

I don't know for sure what's involved in a trans flush on a CVT, but since it doesn't have a torque converter, seems like a simple drain and refill should do the trick.

As for the rest of the inspection, nothing complicated about any of it, to me......
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

I did it myself on the 03 that i had, it is pretty basic for non-CVTs. My 06 is due for it in another 7k or so, and ill probably do the same thing.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I'm very leary of doing anything with the CVT, even a fluid change. I think for that reason alone, I'll take it to Baron. While I have had no problems, the CVT has a bad reputation. It's probably a good idea to have them do it this time and start reading up before next time.

I should have been a little more pro-active as this inspection was approaching instead of realizing that was what I needed to have done 2 weeks before driving oodles of miles. Then I could have spent more time researching all of this...I should check out that little book in the glovebox. :lol: