Need Longer/Wider SunVisor

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
MINImalist
MINIAC
MINIAC

Need Longer/Wider SunVisor

Post by MINImalist »

Anyone have an idea how to extend/enlarge the sun visors on the 08 MCS ?
Can I buy an aftermarket solution, or do I need some light cardboard and duct tape ?

My wife, Deadeye Doris (not her real name), occasionally forgets her eyepatch on a motoring excursion and the glare is not good. The Buick Boat that I sold had a plastic slider built into the visor and you could pull it out, and block Mr. Sun quite nicely.

Also the driver's left side visor could stand to be larger by 50%.....

Also, still looking for a place to put a trash box/sack...boy, this car IS a MINI!!
SPAARKY:Had R56 MCS, Born 6/2008 BUT traded for an F56 in 2/2017.
R56 repairs: Turbo oil line leak,Timing Chain/Tensioner at 26K,46K, also needed at 105K. Big repair bill caused me to trade it off for the F56.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I'm thinking generic aftermarket is going to be your only hope, I know of nothing from any MINI vendor that will help. My wife is altitudinally challenged and she has fits with the tiny sunvisors in our '03 MCS.....I just sit up taller till it doesn't hit my eyes anymore......... 8)

Something like this maybe?

$20 here.... Sun Zapper

As for the trash, I've seen containers that hang off of the seat back, hooked on the headrest or something, maybe something like that would work - every autoparts store sells them..........as well as Wal Mart..........
Last edited by Minidave on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
DDodge

Re: Need Longer/Wider SunVisor

Post by DDodge »

MINImalist wrote:Anyone have an idea how to extend/enlarge the sun visors on the 08 MCS ?
Can I buy an aftermarket solution, or do I need some light cardboard and duct tape ?

My wife, Deadeye Doris (not her real name), occasionally forgets her eyepatch on a motoring excursion and the glare is not good. The Buick Boat that I sold had a plastic slider built into the visor and you could pull it out, and block Mr. Sun quite nicely.

Also the driver's left side visor could stand to be larger by 50%.....

Also, still looking for a place to put a trash box/sack...boy, this car IS a MINI!!
Visor extender:

http://tinyurl.com/5ttgs7

From Amazon - other places list them for $24.

What's the matter with the back seat as a trash container? :)
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Great minds think alike................ :lol:
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Esmter

Post by Esmter »

yes, the mini's sun visors are useless if you're short. annoying.
kraydl

Post by kraydl »

I got a tint strip put on by the place Samar uses. I think the strip is around $25. My version is about 2" lower than my sun visor. They can do different widths so you would have to talk to them about it.

Check with Samar. I think the place is called Auto Glass. It's across the other side of I35 from Baron, just north of the skating rink on 61st Terrace.

Mine was done with 20%, the sides with 35% and the sunroof with 5%.

Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Hey kraydl-

Isn't Drive Shaft the name of the one hit band that Charlie from "LOST" was in?
kraydl

Post by kraydl »

Yes that's right... but this one refers to the automotive part.
MINImalist
MINIAC
MINIAC

Thanks, all !

Post by MINImalist »

Coupla good ideas..

If I go the visor extender route, might just order two and save the shipping on Amazon. Since the clip ons can be moved, maybe Deadeye can shed the welding mask she wears when she drives. Might also loiter around the parts stores and see what I can find :shock:

The tint route might be a good solution, too, come to think of it. My wife and I are both tall, and the extra tint bar on the windsheld would help from that direction. I did have Samer install what he called a 'medium' tint on the sides and back, so I do have that.

The real problem is that there is no side visor on the passenger's side. And I ain't gonna let -her- drive my MCS that much :twisted:
R56 repairs: Turbo oil line leak,Timing Chain/Tensioner at 26K,46K, also needed at 105K. Big repair bill caused me to trade it off for the F56.
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Gotta admit that was a good reference that I pulled out of my ....
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Big Papi wrote:Gotta admit that was a good reference that I pulled out of my .... :P
MINImalist
MINIAC
MINIAC

15% or 20% for eyebrow

Post by MINImalist »

kraydl wrote:I got a tint strip put on ...........

Mine was done with 20%, the sides with 35% and the sunroof with 5%.
I checked at a local tint shop on my lunch hour... looks like I am going with a strip at the top of the windshield. Haven't decided between the 15 and 20, though. I see your 20 looks plenty dark. The shop girl has 5% on hers, but that just looks too dark.

My sides are 35% (Kansas spec)
kraydl

Post by kraydl »

Before the tint, I drove with the visors always down. Day or night. It didn't impede by view so I just left them down. I went with the 20% based on Samar's suggestion, but I could have gone with total blackout and that would have been fine. I'm not usually looking up in the sky.

Now I think there are restrictions on how far down the window the tint can be if it's more than a certain %. There's some mark on all window glass they use as a guide. I'd sit in the car, put a post-it-note at the level you want the tint to come down to, then ask the tint installer what's legal down to that mark. Then just pick what you think is best of the available %'s.

All I know, is 35% is the darkest you can go on the sides and back... but not sure for the front visor strip. Sun roofs can be 0% (totally opaque).

Also, the tint looks much darker from the outside vs. inside looking out.
MINImalist
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MINImalist »

kraydl wrote: I went with the 20% based on Samar's suggestion.... but I could have gone with total blackout...

..........put a post-it-note at the level you want the tint to come down to, then ask the tint installer what's legal down to that mark. .
I like your post-it suggestion. The shop says you can come down to something called the AS1 level. The girl couldn't find the line, but said it's about 6 inches from the top of the inside windshield. She indicated a willingness to put any percent tint on there for me, but maybe that was just my good looks....not

Think might go with the 20% (lighter than 15%). One reason is that I'm thinking I want to see those traffic lights up high. I'm a little tall..

The 35% on the rest of the car is too light for the windshield eyebrow for me. :roll:
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

For those overhead traffic light problems - try the Light in Sight. I use mine all the time.

http://www.lightinsight.com/our_product.htm

Don D
MINImalist
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MINImalist »

DDodge wrote:For those overhead traffic light problems - try the Light in Sight. I use mine all the time.
http://www.lightinsight.com/our_product.htm

Don D
DD: Yes, I did actually find this on NAM. Good to know a local finds it helpful. It's actually a second reason not to overtint the eyebrow.
See you guys on the 24th, perhaps if I can get away from work.
Later
MiniBrit

Post by MiniBrit »

I agree with the sun visor. I'm short, and the visors are really tiny. I'm looking around for something to add to mine.