BMW 3 Series Dissapointment

Non-MINI/Mini discussion
kabootist

BMW 3 Series Dissapointment

Post by kabootist »

So in the future i was planning on either buying a 3 series bmw or the Lexus Is250 for the female companion (she doesnt like the Jeep Liberty as much as i do), we test drove the Lexus and it was amazing, everything i had read was saying the BMW is better, so off we go to baron to test drive one. I would have to say that my 04 Mazda 6, was better than it was. Not to slam anyone that has one, but definately not my style of car, we got it on 35 headed south and took the next exit and turned back to the dealer, it was that disappointing, especially for 35k! the only benefit was that they would do the certified preowned warranty for 6years/100k at no cost to us, since it was a 2008 but was their courtesy car. Either way it was just not what i was expecting....did i get a bad egg or am i and my gf just crazy? Oh and i finally had a good boarderline great experience at Baron....just for the record.
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

What was the problem with it?
kraydl

Post by kraydl »

My wife was just out there for the cancer drive where she got to drive the 1, 3, 5, 6, 7 and Z series all day long. She hated the Z. Her fav of the whole bunch for sport handling factor was a 3 series. Go figure. Everyone has their own tastes.
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

anyone driven the one series? i was in germany a few weeks ago and saw them all over the place. i dont follow BMW a ton, but i understand its a fairly new addition to the line? they look sharp and seem fairly affordable.

so are you set on the lexus Is250 or gonna sit on it?
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

I was at the Cancer event as well and I drove the 1, 6 and Z (all convertibles) and I have driven the 3 series several times prior.

If you have one don't hate the player, hate the manufacturer on my comments:!: :!: :!: :!:

I do love BMW's and all that they offer, I like them better that MB's because they offer a sport line that is more in my taste. I do like the X3 & 5 a lot!!!!!!!

That being said if you want preformance after driving your MINI don't drive a BMW 3, 5 or 7 unless it is a M series or the 1, because you will be disappointed by a mile. For me the Z was the biggest disappointment of all, I was on 35 south and had to drop to 3rd gear to get enough power to get around the 18-wheeler to get off the highway. :cry: :cry: :cry:

You have to remember that it is a luxury car first and preformance vehicle second, most of their market is not going to take their car to HPT. Lawyer's, doctors, executives are going to be their primary market with a more conserative tocuh. Can't comment on the Lexus other than my buddy who is a mechanics and has worked on them for 15 years and is currently at the Lexus dealer in Tiffany Springs says that they have a absolute ton of recall work that they do on the cars each time they come in for service and he claims that it is higher than most other manufacturer's (his words, not mine :? )
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

I did drive the 3 series after driving the Mini down K5....i understand its for all the businessy type but it didnt even seem that luxurious, unlike the Lexus which did. It was a nice car, but just not my style. I'll probably test drive a 5 series as well before making the decision between the lexus and the BMW... I have always liked MBs but the one i want (E320 CDI) is way too expensive.
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Yeah, my wife likes the C & E-Class cars but dollars dictate that it probably won't happen. Anyway she has a 05 Explorer (bought new) and it is nice, she will have to wait till 2015 for something new. We are trying to go 10 yrs between getting new cars.
Esmter

Re: BMW 3 Series Dissapointment

Post by Esmter »

kabootist wrote:Either way it was just not what i was expecting....did i get a bad egg or am i and my gf just crazy?
next time we get a chance to go to a mini thing, we'll drive Brett's 328 coupe - it's a 2000, so doesn't have the newest (and imo rather cheap looking) bodystyle, but it's one of the most comfortable cars i've ever driven. been in as a passenger? no. driven? yes.

you do have to remember a few things about BMWs - they literally are a 'driving machine', not necessarily a luxury car like a lexus or MB (the giant 740 exempted, of course...)