Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

I've got another word - Dumba**

no wait here is a better word:

CRIMINAL !!!!!!!!
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

RojoCohete wrote:Check out #9.

Though I would have to believe that most of it applies to most of the cities in the metro.

http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/ar ... -Live-2008
Yes, I read this article the other day. I am in the asset management field and stories like this are always interesting reading. I read a lot of finance articles all the time. Johnson County was ranked 3rd best county to live in, beat out by a county in Minnesota? and a county north of Indianapolis as #1. Also, that article doesn't list it but I think it mentioned when talking about Overland Park that Olathe was #11, so that is great news for for the metro. I think Lee's Summit will be on there in the future as well.
JohnBLZ

Post by JohnBLZ »

ragtopday wrote:Why do people leave their dogs in the car to go grocery shopping when it's 90 degrees out?!? :shock: The OBC in the MINI said it was 93 this afternoon when I was at Whole Foods. I parked near a BMW X5 with a beautiful Irish Setter (lots o'hair) panting and struggling to breathe thru the 1" opening in the windows. Every time the dog would move, the alarm would go off on the car. Poor puppy. :(
Did you call the police? This is blatant animal cruelty.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

JohnBLZ wrote:
ragtopday wrote:Why do people leave their dogs in the car to go grocery shopping when it's 90 degrees out?!? :shock: The OBC in the MINI said it was 93 this afternoon when I was at Whole Foods. I parked near a BMW X5 with a beautiful Irish Setter (lots o'hair) panting and struggling to breathe thru the 1" opening in the windows. Every time the dog would move, the alarm would go off on the car. Poor puppy. :(
Did you call the police? This is blatant animal cruelty.
Is there a law against it? :?:
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Yes there is, most states have adopted laws against such actions leaving the owner accountable, however, law enforcement does not always seem to respond in a timely manner.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

JohnBLZ wrote: Did you call the police? This is blatant animal cruelty.
I have called the police for similar situations before--once in OP and once in Leawood. Both times I was told they would check on it, but it was a very low priority. Going inside the store and having the car owner paged was my option. I'm hoping it got a quicker response than calling the police would have. I had to scoot off to work and didn't get to hang around to see the ding-dong that would do this!
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
JohnBLZ

Post by JohnBLZ »

ragtopday wrote:
JohnBLZ wrote: Did you call the police? This is blatant animal cruelty.
I have called the police for similar situations before--once in OP and once in Leawood. Both times I was told they would check on it, but it was a very low priority. Going inside the store and having the car owner paged was my option. I'm hoping it got a quicker response than calling the police would have. I had to scoot off to work and didn't get to hang around to see the ding-dong that would do this!
About 2 months ago there was a minivan parked on the sidewalk in the fire zone outside of the Shawnee Mission Blvd Wal-Mart. Inside were the keys in the ignition along with a 2 year old and a newborn. I stood around for a couple minutes debating on whether/not to call the cops and ended up doing so. Right as I get off the phone the parents come out... Jerry Springer rejects. Both of them get in my grill about it and then jump in the van and take off. Literally the second they turn the corner and head out of the lot the cops showed up.

Long story short the cops were less concerned about the kids and more concerned that the minivan was a vehicle used in a robbery in KCMO last year.

Priorities.

I had briefly considered reaching in the van and tossing the keys behind the shopping carts but decided against it. I've done this before to people leaving their keys (and kids) in the car with a decent record. The old gas station by Shawnee Mission Medical Center a couple times alone. Several cuss outs, but no police involved.

Thinking back, that's probably a good way to get shot...but I don't know that I could live with myself knowing I could have taken some action and prevented serious harm to a kid.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

JohnBLZ wrote: I had briefly considered reaching in the van and tossing the keys behind the shopping carts but decided against it. I've done this before to people leaving their keys (and kids) in the car with a decent record. The old gas station by Shawnee Mission Medical Center a couple times alone. Several cuss outs, but no police involved.

Thinking back, that's probably a good way to get shot...but I don't know that I could live with myself knowing I could have taken some action and prevented serious harm to a kid.
So you wanna team up on this? :lol: I'll start watching out for kids with Jerry-Springer-reject parents and you start screaming at people mistreating dogs? I really think a team approach is necessary to fix the nation's stupidity. Either that or requiring some sort of license to breed or be a pet parent.

I've had a long standing gripe with the Backyard Burgers in Liberty. They allow someone to sell dogs in a corner of the parking lot--the corner right against 152. I've got so many issues with this (who buys a dog from a stranger in a parking lot, dogs near traffic, dogs at shelters needing homes, etc...) but today I'm beyond worried. The heat index is 109 degrees and they are sitting on the corner under a tent (at least there is shade) with very fuzzy puppies for sale. Wow. And to think they wouldn't bother sitting there in this heat if the dogs weren't selling. :roll:

Please excuse me while I climb down off of my soapbox...
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
saturn

Post by saturn »

Don't get down, stay up there and let us join you! We see it all the time at Wally world. Usually two or three cars, one selling puppies, one selling kittens etc. I've even got a gripe with Pet-Stupid err Pet-Smart because they have shelter reps out in front of the stores trying to foster animals in the heat. I don't care if it is in the shade, it's still freakin hot!!
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Amen brother, you go on that soap box :!: :!: :!: :!:
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

I'm gonna put in a word for Pets Mart - they could be selling those $800 puppies and making money on them, but they've got shelter critters instead. Our Pets Mart always has them way at the back of the store. We've adopted from the shelter people there.

Don D
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Kind of related, our vet mentioned something about a business card sized stick on thermometer that included a warning about leaving your pet in the car. I need to find those! Anyone seen these anywhere?
speed_racer

Post by speed_racer »

ragtopday wrote:Kind of related, our vet mentioned something about a business card sized stick on thermometer that included a warning about leaving your pet in the car. I need to find those! Anyone seen these anywhere?
I haven't seen those, but until we do we can all carry flyers or cards similar to the ones shown on this page: http://www.kindnews.org/images/DogCards.pdf
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

This is the best thing I have seen all day! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjJ-Qe73boQ
~Laurie~

2022 Midnight Black Metalic MINI Cooper SE “Electric Boogie”
2005 Chili Red MCS "Kevin"

2016 Blazing Red Metallic 4 door MCS
RIP 2013 Blazing Red Metallic Justa Countryman

First MINI 2005 Black Eye Purple MCS
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

speed_racer wrote: I haven't seen those, but until we do we can all carry flyers or cards similar to the ones shown on this page: http://www.kindnews.org/images/DogCards.pdf
Thanks for the link! I'll print a few out and stick them in the glove box.
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Laurie wrote:This is the best thing I have seen all day! :lol:

That was AAAWWWWEEESSOOOMMMMEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Big Papi wrote:
Laurie wrote:This is the best thing I have seen all day! :lol:

That was AAAWWWWEEESSOOOMMMMEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This sounds kind of corny, but that was my unofficial theme song when I was in Iraq. Before some of our more 'unpredictable' missions, I would listen to that song. Whenever I hear it, I think of being over there.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!