Summer Vacation

Non-MINI/Mini discussion
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Summer Vacation

Post by Minidave »

We have a wedding to attend this July in Colorado Springs, and afterwards we're gonna take a week and just cruise around southern Colorado and nothern New Mexico..........here's what we're taking............

This is a 31 foot Class C motor home with a side slide out. The rental cost for the week plus gas, which I estimate at about an additional $500 based on 6 - 10 mpg, includes clean ups, clean outs, a full tank of propane and misc fees. It uses the Ford V-10 engine, so it should be able to pull us up those mountain passes OK.......

It's pretty nice inside, and the slideout really makes a difference!

It's the first time we've tried this, but I think it will be fun, and a lot easier way to travel with the mutts.......it has a genset, but we figure most of the time we'll just be plugged in at the campsites. We've got our first two nights set at Garden of the Gods campground, after that we're just taking pot luck..........

I haven't traveled with one of these and the Mini-poopers before, so this will be a new experience for them. I expect one to be profoundly unhappy anytime we're moving, and the other to be happy as a clam, watching the world go by out one of the windows..........should be fun!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Awesome!! The weather is good out here - hot during the day and cool at night.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

Way back in the day, my uncle, aunt, mom, sister and I went on a trip to Canada in a rented RV. We started out in Iowa and went up to Michigan (where I was born) and then up to Canada. We saw Niagra falls from the Canadian side. It was a pretty cool deal and experience. You should have fun! Plus, look at that wonderful cake your wife made you for desert in photo number two. Yummy!
~Laurie~

2022 Midnight Black Metalic MINI Cooper SE “Electric Boogie”
2005 Chili Red MCS "Kevin"

2016 Blazing Red Metallic 4 door MCS
RIP 2013 Blazing Red Metallic Justa Countryman

First MINI 2005 Black Eye Purple MCS
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yep, she's pretty talented.............. :lol:

We're picking the unit up in Denver - the rental place is just a few miles from my sister's house - and then driving down to the Springs for the wedding, we'll stay an extra day there to get used to the motor home and how it all works, plus visit with friends and family for a day and then head out......

Out first stop is the Colorado dunes - even tho I lived in Colorado Springs for several years, I've never seen them.

From there we're a little undecided, so we'll flip a coin and go....... 8)
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

Can't seem to get my mind off of you
Back here at home there's nothin' to do
Now that I'm away
I wish I'd stayed
Tomorrow's a day of mine that you won't be in

When you looked at me I should've run
But I thought it was just for fun
I see I was wrong
And I'm not so strong
I should've known all along that time would tell

A week without you
Thought I'd forget
Two weeks without you and I
Still haven't gotten over you yet

CHORUS
Vacation
All I ever wanted
Vacation
Had to get away
Vacation
Meant to be spent alone

A week without you
Thought I'd forget
Two weeks without you and I
Still haven't gotten over you yet
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Thanks, Brett, for the earworm. :lol:
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Marlow Main
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Marlow Main »

It sure looks BIG compared to the MINI, but is sound like you will have a good time. Enjoy!
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

Dave, that will NOT be as much fun to drive in the mountains as a Mini! :)

DD
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

True, but then we can't exactly live in the MINI either, like we can this! :lol:

I think I'd like to do like Minigeoff's folks did and tow my MINI behind one, so I'd have fun wheels when we get there - where ever "there" is!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Can you tow bar it to your MINI or do you need a trailer?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I could, but I'm not going to this trip, that's more of a "I wish I could" thing............ :)
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

We're home!

We had a pretty good time and as this was our first time in a motorhome, it was certainly a learning experience for us. Overall impression is that it can be a fun way to vacay, if..........

If you like staying in one place, fishing or just camping or hanging out with the neighbors......
If you tow a car along so you're not tied to the campsite.......
If you want to take the kids and/or dogs along and not leave them in a kennel or day care somewhere........
If one of you doesn't mind cooking while on vacation and the other does all the driving........
If the roads aren't too bad, so everything in the home doesn't shake, rattle, and roll......
If the weather's nice, or even if it's bad. The sound of rain on the roof when you're warm and dry in your little mobile can be quite cozy....

However.........

It can be a bitch to park, especially if your spotter and you aren't using the same signals, or to mean the same thing....
It won't get good mileage, but then you knew that.........we got about 11, which was surprisingly good, IMHO considering we were mostly going uphill, or so it seemed............
It won't be fast, but then you knew that too, and you'd miss the scenery if it was.......
People trying to pull onto the hiway will pretend you're not there; much to their surprise you will be and it will be them taking evasive action for a change!
It will rattle, squeak, shake and make all kinds of unexpected noises - the racks in the oven should be moved to between the cushions if they're clean enough......
Eventually the dogs will become accustomed to the noise and ignore it - you won't..........
The bed will be miserably uncomfortable, but a 3" memory foam mattress top from Wal-mart will make it infinitely better..... take your own pillow tho........

We drove a little over 800 miles and never left Colorado. We went to Colorado Springs for a couple of days first, both for the wedding and also to kind of learn how everything worked while we were still within a couple hour's drive of where we rented it, just in case. Then we drove down to the Great Sand Dunes Nat'l park, which was fantastic! But, just as we got there the heavens opened and it poured, so taking the dogs out onto the dunes for a romp evaporated - we'd never get them clean of all the sand if we had done.

We then went to South Fork (so named as it's the south fork of the Rio Grande) and spent the night in a beautiful setting right above the river, nestled in the mountains at about 7k feet. The altitude did take it's effect as I haven't lived in Co for about 30 years, but we still did OK if we didn't try to go too far or too fast. Then on to Pagosa Springs, then back thru Del Norte and towards Gunnison, where we spent another night. That was the only place we had to run the heater at night as it got down to 40*, but again, we were completely cozy with it on, and in the morning the sun was bright and warm. Our last night was also in Colorado Springs so we'd be within an hour's drive of the rental place, we had to be back there by noon the next day. We had dinner with friends and started packing things up to load in the car the next morning. People were roasting marshmallows and of course everywhere we went the dogs got more attention than us! It's a long drive back to KC but the mutt's slept well and didn't complain and we arrived home tired, but already thinking about renting again and where we might go. Maybe to visit our kids and grandkids in North Carolina?

The dogs travel in their crate in the back of the Audi, it's easier to get them out for a quick stretch and some water.............

It was almost 100* in Colorado Springs and it took me a while to get backed in, connected to the fresh water, electricity and so on, but the A/C cooled things down OK. Here me and the mutts are taking a break...........

The top of Wilkerson Pass west of Colorado Springs. The first major pass we took, and I was suprised how well the MH went up the hill, I did the speed limit at all times and never found myself with a line of cars behind me.....and the weather was beautiful! traffic was surprisingly light, but the campgrounds were mostly full...........

Daddy, can we drive now?

At the Sand Dunes, they look grey because this is just after it rained......

More on the way.........

And then it cleared up again............

Hoping she remembers the Snausages!

Ready for a game of cards?

At the top of Monarch Pass

Vam-poodles!

naw, they both just yawned at the same time..................

Our last night............then headed home..........

Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Looks and sounds like a great time. I hope I can do something like that someday.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Great pics!!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

Odd, I'm in Colorado Springs all this week for some training. :)
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, you have to be having a better time than we are here with our rain and humidity - enjoy it while you can!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
petek

Post by petek »

Sounds like a great trip to me but: MORE PICTURES! :)

Something like 17 years ago or so my wife and two girls and I drove a VW Camper (Westphalia) up the Alcan to Anchorage, AK and back, camping all the way. Not near the amenities as in the RV you rented but we got a lot better gas mileage. ;)
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

Minidave wrote:Well, you have to be having a better time than we are here with our rain and humidity - enjoy it while you can!
My rental car is a Chevy HHR. It is perhaps the worst "new" car I have ever driven. I am comparing this to my Toyota Yaris which isn't anything special either, but feels like a luxury sports car compared to this...thing.

Otherwise its nice, wish I had my convert. for the weather/mountains.