Baron MINI changes (rumors/facts/etc.)

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Baron MINI changes (rumors/facts/etc.)

Post by kenshin138 »

Somebody posted on another local car site today (as an ex-employee of Baron) that Baron VW is getting sold back to VWoA and will no longer be carried at the location. They are moving MINI into the current VW building exclusively. This is all apparently to free up some shop space since the great warranty on our cars keeps them a bit more busy than normal. Also something about BMWoA extending some exclusive whatnots to them for separating the building.

Take it with a grain of salt until you see it, but apparently the guy is legit. Odd.

Though a dedicated MINI building and service shop would be sweet!
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

The VW shop is being shut down. Salesman told me.
Mr. F56
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

I was at Baron today and did not hear a word, but I am dropping my car off for some work on friday and will inquire and advise.

I think that would be a great building for MINI and could really showcase the brand very well. :D
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

I was told by the BMW dealer in Wichita that BMW is requiring a different building for the MINI dealer, and at least a population of around half a million. Wichita is getting close, but last time i talked to the bmw dealer guy there, they had no intention on picking up the Mini dealer.
Marlow Main
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Marlow Main »

I was at Baron this morning for my "10,000 mile" oil change and Rick confirmed that the MINIs will be moving in to the VW building in the spring of 2009. He showed me the concept pictures of the revamp for the building. It will look a lot nicer than the building does currently.
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

I knew that as well but from what I heard it was suppose to be on the "down low" for a while longer.
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

Very interesting...should be a nice facility for Mini owners!
chknlil

Post by chknlil »

Ian McMini

Post by Ian McMini »

Thanks for posting the link chknlil. Interesting to read the news somewhere other than this forum. Gotta make it hard to sell a VW, it would seem.
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

I love VWs, especially the TDIs. I don't think keeping the VW dealer open is worth not making more money off of the Mini dealer. clearly, there is more numbers involved, but it would seem MINI won out between it and VW. I don't think getting rid of the dealership altogether was a good idea, VWs still sell well and cars such as the TDI are good things for the VW brand and would sell if they were more readily available. I guess if you want to try to get a cheap VW, baron might be the place to try.
chknlil

Post by chknlil »

There are other VW dealers here in town. I'm sure they'll still be hot sellers at those other dealers. BUT...one might be able to get a good deal on one at Baron, as kabootist mentioned.
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

As I know it all stock left over when they close will be transferred to Northland and Molle VW so not sure on the deals.

They were running 0% financing on GTI though. If that had been around when I was buying I would be in one instead of my MINI. :)

Not that I don't like my car, but I drove both and from just driving, the DSG-equipped GTI was much more fun to drive. Overall I like the MINI better in the looks department though.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I'm sure the MINI sales dept will be happy to get out of the BMW basement AND get their own service dept.

I wonder if this will increase their new car allocation?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

Minidave wrote:I'm sure the MINI sales dept will be happy to get out of the BMW basement AND get their own service dept.

I wonder if this will increase their new car allocation?
I'm assuming so. When we called our rep to say we weren't getting the Cooper we ordered she said that next year they were moving and "should have a car on hand she will love" or something to that degree.
Ian McMini

weren't getting the Cooper we ordered

Post by Ian McMini »

Minidave,
Would you elaborate on what you wrote about not receiving the Cooper you ordered? Being as I am hoping to order a new one in a couple months, I am curious about others' experiences with Baron. I love my 2005, but pluncking down $30k to $40k for a car that only has one dealer in town is worrisome. Thank you.
chknlil

Post by chknlil »

Ian,

You didn't specifically solicit my response, but I just received my 2008 MCS in July. It came after about 7-8weeks of waiting. Was well worth the wait and Baron treated me quite well...suffice a few communication problems. Car was received exactly as ordered.

--jc
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: weren't getting the Cooper we ordered

Post by Minidave »

Ian McMini wrote:Minidave,
Would you elaborate on what you wrote about not receiving the Cooper you ordered? Being as I am hoping to order a new one in a couple months, I am curious about others' experiences with Baron. I love my 2005, but pluncking down $30k to $40k for a car that only has one dealer in town is worrisome. Thank you.
Sorry Ian, it wasn't me - I have an '03 MCS (that I bought used at Baron) that I really, really like. A few weeks ago dimini and I drove an 08 service loaner around and I made some comments about liking that car.......

But I don't have one on order........

One of our members decided not to take an 08 justacooper they had ordered in favor of ordering a Cooper S instead, maybe that's what you're thinking of? They also have an '06 Cabrio.........

At any rate, my overall impression of Baron is very positive, and moving the MINIs into their own building demostrates a real commitment to the brand IMHO, and I think things willl only improve once they get settled in. I would have no problem ordering a new MINI from Baron...........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: weren't getting the Cooper we ordered

Post by kenshin138 »

Minidave wrote:One of our members decided not to take an 08 justacooper they had ordered in favor of ordering a Cooper S instead, maybe that's what you're thinking of? They also have an '06 Cabrio.........
Heh...about that. 100% change of gears. We instead decided to get my wife the horse she has always wanted. Bought him yesterday. To help facilitate this we also traded our Yaris in for a 08 Nissan Xterra on Saturday.

So its just me in the MINI crowd for our family. :)
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Is it a S or just a horse????
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I have friends who have horses, and like boats - I think the best days of horse ownership are they day you get them, and the day they leave!

Does she compete? And if so, in what discipline?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

She is training to do barrel racing and reining.

Heh, so I suppose that will make it a S model. :)

FYI: drove the Xterra all day today. Will be happy to have my MINI back tomorrow. Its just.....not the same. :P
Ian McMini

Post by Ian McMini »

Thanks for y'all's input about Baron.

Would you, plural, which is youse (?), would youse mind offering your opinions on the following:

As much as I hated to lose my Jeep, when gas was - and will be again - over $4 a gallon, and dealers stopped taking them as trades, I was fortunate enough to unload it and buy our current '05 just-a-MINI. Now knowing what great little cars they are, my wife and I are hoping to buy a new MCS.

Here's where I would appreciate your opinions - search for a 2008 MCS convertible or wait for the 2009s? I'm also conflicted between the good looks of the hardtop and the open air of the convertible. I have to have an automatic due to physical ailments, but want the limited slip differential. Do I assume correctly that the upcoming Dynamic Traction Control is essentially a limited slip? Is the "good as or better" performance upgrades Baron pushes really as good as or better than the JCW upgrade from the factory?

What say ye?

Thanks.
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

I believe DTC is different from limited slip. Limited slip ties the two driven wheels together more than they would be with an open differential, theoretically increasing traction for the driven wheels.

DTS is an adjunct to DST. With DST, as we have it, the system sometimes compromises your ability to go very fast on ice and snow. DTC increases the DSTs tolerance of wheel slip, making it easier to accelerate on snow and ice, albeit with less control. It's a feature added to DSC, rather than a different system. It lets you be a little more sporting on ice and snow than the DSC would normally tolerate before it intervenes.

Does that make any sense?
saturn

Post by saturn »

Ian McMini wrote:Thanks for y'all's input about Baron.

Would you, plural, which is youse (?), would youse mind offering your opinions on the following:

As much as I hated to lose my Jeep, when gas was - and will be again - over $4 a gallon, and dealers stopped taking them as trades, I was fortunate enough to unload it and buy our current '05 just-a-MINI. Now knowing what great little cars they are, my wife and I are hoping to buy a new MCS.

Here's where I would appreciate your opinions - search for a 2008 MCS convertible or wait for the 2009s? I'm also conflicted between the good looks of the hardtop and the open air of the convertible. I have to have an automatic due to physical ailments, but want the limited slip differential. Do I assume correctly that the upcoming Dynamic Traction Control is essentially a limited slip? Is the "good as or better" performance upgrades Baron pushes really as good as or better than the JCW upgrade from the factory?

What say ye?

Thanks.
As far as waiting for a new convertible, the choice is completely yours. A couple of things to help weigh in your decision, old body style versus new. Supercharged motor versus Turbocharged. First year new convertible versus established convertible. I'm sure that there will be a longer wait than normal since it will be a new body-style that a lot of people have been waiting for. Good luck on your decision.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Re. the convertible decision...I'm anxious to see the new cabrio's pop-up roll bar system and the larger back window. And the "Always Open" gauge and the new color options and the new brown top....well, I'm just excited about the whole darn thing!

I did have some first-model-year issues with my R52 and would probably suggest waiting a year before buying an R57 for that reason but I think following that advice will be challenging after seeing the car in person. :D
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.