EVENT OF OUR OWN ???

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
monty
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by monty »

Being the man in the group of few word. I think Todd summed it up.
2015 MINI Cooper S. Thunder Gray/Black roof, cold weather package, sport package, JCW Tuning kit and exhaust.
Name : Handsome Rob
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

If most of us feel the way Sundance does...and the club is perfect for them, then there is no reason to pursue this anymore. The structure is setup the way the core group except for 2 of us (Big Papi and Myself) think is great so I'm not going to stir the pot any more. Look for my ideas in the Grassroots Gatherings section, on things I think would be good for the club to do. If someone is offended by anything stated, I sure would like to know why. Feel free to PM me, don't go calling in Sundance. Contact the person you have a problem with referring their comments. It seems to me that that old structure of who is in charge is still there thus people calling Sundance.

I can't go to the Sonic nights because of work, others just don't like sonic for whatever reason, I am just trying to find alternatives and also get the club more involved in activities as a whole, Not everyone can do thursday nights, and thats why I thought of the Friday BBQ night. I really don't think this is getting us anywhere, If you need me I'll be available by PM. If you want help planning stuff for club events let me know, I'll be glad to help. I will no longer be posting to this topic, I've had my fill.
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Hey sundance thanks for the info it is good to know what you speak of and I appreciate all info on this topic. Good luck on your trip. :)

Well this seems like a dead issue now, but I am going to still push for it and work on it. Anyone is welcome to join in the support and effort. Maybe it is a grassroots only event, maybe it can grow I don't know, but I am willing to work at it, is anyone else?

Wanting to do more or something different is not bad or wrong it is just that, different. If it has been explored in the past and it did not work then maybe that information can be passed on so the experience of the past can be evaluated for future sucess. The information Todd spoke of is very interesting to me and I would like to know more at our next gathering from anyone who can attend, if they are knowledgeable about it.

I want to know what people think and what has been done in the past. I did ask for comments and I do agree with Kabootist on some things, but I also mentioned that I do like the events we have as well. A lot of work has been put into them and getting together with everyone is fun.

I think the comments need to stay above board and not deteriate into persnoal snips or attacks. I am not acusing anyone of anything I just want to make sure WE all (me to) stay respectful and considerate of each other, after all we all have one thing in common we love our MINI/Mini's.
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

We interrupt this program for a comment from the threadbearer: :cry:
sundance wrote:Personally I am quite offended at some of the comments. Even though it has been said that no offense was meant, it was taken by me and some others who have contacted me personally. I've been part of this club since March of 2003 - almost the beginning and I've seen dozens of members come and go. There are truly only about 30-50 "core" members here and you all know who you are.
:? What is this about? I read this last night and there are people PERSONALLY offended by some of the comments here and people are contacting Todd personally. What is this 7th Grade, come on people act your age. I did ask for comments, and that is good, I wanted communciation on this issue, which is good. As I said I want to know what has happened in the past to better understand where this can go in the future, if possible. Why in the world is Todd (Sundance) offended by what has been said? How is what anyone said here offensive? Why is Todd being contacted personally? I know it wasn't me calling him, I don't have his phone number. If this truly is an open forum then the discussion of ideas should be valued, not villafied. Making phone calls and asking a former President to weigh in on a topic is lobbying, posturing and frankly childish. Who ever did that should be ashamed of themselves, my 5th grader acts better than that. :?

:!: For the record I like the club as is, I only want to try and expand our horizions if it is in the interest of the club and until the information is gathered and presented to the entire group I do not think anyone should be putting the issue down. There is no way you could have contacted all the members since this has been posted to know what they are thinking so please hold your personal opinions on the issue until everything has been presented. :!:

:) If you go back and look at all of my comments, they have been above the board and express my opinion on wanting to do something special for the group. There seems to be at least 3 others who share my vision because they have agreed to meet to discuss the issue at hand. This is all that I asked for and as far as Kabootist goes he has not done anything either, all he has done is share a view and asked a couple of questions. :)

:idea: As it has been stated in this thread, yes, most people have more going on than just this club, I know I do but this is suppose to be fun. I have thrown out an idea and asked if there is any interest and asked for comments. I am going to reshape the last part of that sentence to this: :idea:

:bangbang: The standard protocol in blogging here on this website has been that if you are not interested or don't share the same opinion as the discussion of the thread then people usually do not respond, that shows what interest there is on the topic. So if you are not interested or do not have positive comments to make please keep them to yourselves. Calling up people to express their opinion is silly to me. This is a friendly group of people and I like everyone here so play nice on my thread. :bangbang:

Thank you :D , you may now go back to regularily scheduled blogging. :wink:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I also do not know why Todd was personally offended that someone suggested that the club get together and do a big driving event, or anyone else for that matter............

I also do not understand the point of this thread at all, if you want to do a big driving event, announce it, recruit help, plan it and do it. The longwinded posts aren't accomplishing anything..........

So, to that end I have a suggestion for an event, take it as your own if you wish and roll with it......

We do an event at the Speedway in conjunction with and support of Breast Cancer week.

We get several hundred MINI's to participate in turning laps at the speedway, have a $25 or $100 per car ante and pledge $1 a lap or something.

Ask dimini to contact his friend Tom Strongman of the Star to write about it and put it in the paper.

Call Joe Posnanski and Jason Whitlock and get them involved. Joe because he's a great guy and an excellent writer and he knows people in the Royals organization who might get involved, maybe a player or two would show up to drive some laps and sign autographs.

Get Jason involved for both his football contacts and the comedic value of a guy that size driving a MINI (I know he'll fit, my best friend is 6'4" and 300lbs and he fits easily) and see if he can get a couple of Cheifs to come out.

Get the Speedway to contribute the use of the track on a Saturday or Sunday morning and provide track support.

Get Krispy Kreme to supply doughnuts and coffee....

Get Baron to supply a couple of cars for the celebs to drive and to act as pace cars.

Also see if they will do a mass mailing or allow us access to the MINI owners mailing list so we can contact every MINI owner they've sold a car to over the years for maximum turnout.

Invite the members of the Nebraska, Iowa, St. Louis and Denver clubs to join us.

Get Saturn to design and make us some hard flyers to take with you when you go pitch to the Speedway, Joe P., Jason, KK and so on.

Don't forget to contact the Susan B Komen foundation.

Maybe some big pink streamers or ribbons to put on the cars so they show up well when the news stations video the event for TV.

And so on.........

I feel very confident that a large number of people would support this worthy event, and for the chance to drive some laps at the Speedway

OK?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Thanks Minidave that is an excellent suggestion. I think we can review that idea as well as any others that are brought up.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
monza

Post by monza »

im going to pipe in just a little and say that I always have respect for those who plan anything for a group of people, especially when it is all volunteer work.

I am part of a local club of scootering enthusiats (www.madtoto.com) we put on an annual rally that draws 120+ people from the metro and midwest (we get people from minneapolis, OKC, StL, etc...) I can say that putting on an event like this to keep that many people busy for a whole weekend is ALOT of planning that takes a core group of 10 of us to keep moving over a period of about 6-months. Even planning a picnic takes alot of effort.

So to whoever wants to plan events, my appreciation goes out to you. Now, hopefully I can hit up some of the KCME events soon Image
anima

Post by anima »

Now, we're talking. :-) Minidave, great post! Bigpapi, Kabootist, you in?

I'm a physician, I can help bring in some of the medical community for this most worthy cause.

:-)

Jeff
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Yes I want to look into this I think it might be a good idea. I have a couple more I would like to share as well, but I am busy tonight will get them up in the next day or so.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

My two cents worth of perspective:

I appreciate the work and enthusiasm I see in this club. I'm relatively new to the community aspect of car ownership and I am impressed that people have the time and passion to pursue organizing events/gatherings for the benefit of many.

Big Papi & Kabootist-

Hats off for wanting to create an event. I just read all the posts on this thread and I don't see/feel that anyone is attempting anything but encourage your visions. I personally like the driver-oriented events but also enjoy the few Sonic events that I've been able to attend.

Sounds to me like there is no "official" blessing or consensus necessary--go for it!
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
sundance
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sundance »

Hey everyone - I must have been in a really pissy mood last week. I'll say I wasn't so much "personally offended" but felt a little like all the work over the past five years had fallen on deaf ears or something. I know that's not true and I say if some folks want to plan a big event then go for it and let me know when it is. If I'm in town I'd love to attend if I can.

Finally, I guess the whole point is that the "club" is all of us. If you have an idea, just float it out there and see who's on board. That's the way we work around here. Maybe that's not enough for some but it's what we've got for now.

I'm not mad at anybody. I just don't know everyone as well as I know some of you and message boards pretty much suck for good communication. For that I say we're all doing the best we can and let's move on.

Todd
2006 John Cooper Works GP - Stock
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Thanks Todd for the comments. I appreciate all of the input that everyone has provided.

To those who expressed interest in meeting to discuss ideas I will send out a PM this week to figure out a time to meet.

Thanks again to all for their comments it was much appreciated. Happy motoring.....
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

As Sundance said without a formal orginasiation ( whers the spell check?) providing all legal requirements it'll be tough to get a formal event going.
A possibility would be for 10-15 people join BMWCCA and thus the local chapter. All insurance , etc. would then be provided. Just run the event by the local board for approval. Sounds too simple and I know that it is.
Baron also gives KCBMWCCA support ( money ) for many events.
Hey they are all "BMWs" after all and MINI gets a whole page every month in "THE ROUNDEL".
Just my thought...
Mr. F56
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Good advise thanks for the info.
sliboa
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sliboa »

DA MINI wrote:( whers the spell check?)
http://www.merriam-webster.com/
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

I'm Cory and I'm CANADIAN
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

I've been in Dallas for about half of the last 2 months and been essentially MIA. Just wanted to check with those working on this as to how it's going?
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Sorry, I have been out of town. I got a opportunity to own my own business, it came up out of nowhere so I have been running around working on it. I will get back to this soon....
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Those who expressed interest, when and where would you like to meet? Please post sometimes and locations and lets see what comes of it. I am not available on Thursday nights at all, my company does in house training that I assist with so any other time is good for me.
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

you guys got me all excited that something cool was going to happen and then nothing. what's the story here?
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Well aside from the beating this thread took, if you notice my last post I asked those interested to post some times when we could meet and talk. To date nobody has respond after expressing interest, that being said if you and some others are interested please advise some times to meet and we can go from theere.
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

Big Papi wrote:Well aside from the beating this thread took, if you notice my last post I asked those interested to post some times when we could meet and talk. To date nobody has respond after expressing interest, that being said if you and some others are interested please advise some times to meet and we can go from theere.
Bernard, that's a cop out answer. YOU started this thread, YOU said a driving event was needed and now you're saying YOU are waiting on others.

Many people have created various kinds of events all by themselves.