Heartland Park Touring Laps August 13

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Heartland Park Touring Laps August 13

Post by dimini »

Hey Folks HPT is upon us again with Wednesday Aug. 13 being the magic day. I'm planning to attend, regardless the heat index. July's event sounded like a blast with fewer people, which meant more track time. I don't want to miss August, as there's only the Sept. event following for this season.

Anyone else thinking of attending?
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

Not me. I'll just be back from Mini In The Mountains. I hope to try and go in September though.
~Laurie~

2022 Midnight Black Metalic MINI Cooper SE “Electric Boogie”
2005 Chili Red MCS "Kevin"

2016 Blazing Red Metallic 4 door MCS
RIP 2013 Blazing Red Metallic Justa Countryman

First MINI 2005 Black Eye Purple MCS
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Events are conspiring against me in the month of August. I won't be able to go to HPT this time. :cry:
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

Ok, I'm confirmed with a purchase. Just checked extended forecast and it calls for 85F with 30% chance of thunderstorms. That sounds better than 100F and sunny.

Looks like just one lonely MINI out there among the supercars. 8) If anyone decides to go and wants to talk about doing lunch before-- just let me know.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Oh, what the heck, I'll see if I can get my ducks in a row and join you all........let me check the schedule tomorrow first............
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

Ha- evidence that a little guilt goes a long way. Forecast update: Lookin' good. 86F and partly cloudy. That's August, folks. I call it a near miracle. The motoring Gods are looking out for us.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Nope, not guilt - I have a scheduling issue that I had forgotten about that will keep me from going to the August event - I knew there was something out there that would keep me out of August's event, I had just forgotten what it was till I checked my calendar - so, sorry, dimini, I won't be able to go............

But I will make Sept' event, and I hope a lot of other MINI owners will as well. The weather's always nice then and we should get to run the "big" circuit, so let's start planning for it!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
chknlil

Post by chknlil »

So how was the track? Did anyone go?
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

As usual, it was an awesome event--partly due to unseasonable, mild weather. We ran on the 2.1 mile road course. The track seemed pretty slippery, though, and others including the Advanced group concurred. I have no idea why that would have been the case, though.

I was the only MINI driver there and frankly, it was a bit strange without our usual MINI crowd. I hung out with Lotus "cousins" in the pits and on the track made friends with a "HPT newby" driving an '06 M3. I was suprised to see that I couldn't keep up with him anywhere on the track--very perplexing as i thought I'd be right there in the corners. Not even close. Likewise with the Z06 Vette that ran in intermediate class.

The skill level was very high amongst the intermediates this time. Three of them could have easily run in the advanced group.

Great event, no incidents. Looking forward to Sept.!
chknlil

Post by chknlil »

I'm thinking about going in Sept. But I'll be honest, I'm nervous as HAYALL. :)
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

If you think you will probably do it, get your helmet now! That way you will be ready if you decide at the last minute.

Speaking as someone who has only done it twice, DO IT!

I think I am going to try and make this next one September 10th.
~Laurie~

2022 Midnight Black Metalic MINI Cooper SE “Electric Boogie”
2005 Chili Red MCS "Kevin"

2016 Blazing Red Metallic 4 door MCS
RIP 2013 Blazing Red Metallic Justa Countryman

First MINI 2005 Black Eye Purple MCS
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

dimini wrote:Likewise with the Z06 Vette that ran in intermediate class.
My dad has a Z06, and that thing is ridiculously fast. In exchange for him to drive my Mini he has offered to let me drive it, and I refuse. Too fast, and if that thing is wrecked, I would be paying for it for the rest of my life, haha.

Who all is going in September? I won't be driving my car as I can barely keep up with a Ford Festiva, but I'd like to see some of you all drive your MINIs.
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

I am planning on going in September....pending any work issues. I need to break in the car, its never seen a track.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

chknlil wrote:I'm thinking about going in Sept. But I'll be honest, I'm nervous as HAYALL. :)
I understand. I was, too, during my first few times. At HPT, though, it's well organized and for the most part, participants follow the rules which keeps it safe-- no passing without the person you're passing giving you the signal that he knows you're there, and waves you by, etc. It's a great way to learn about your car in a legal, controlled environment that cannot be duplicated out on the roads--even less-traveled rural roads.

MINIdave say's he'll post a Sept HPT thread soon. I bought my helmet from soloracer.com for about $105. It's a cheapo open-faced Pyrotech brand. Unless you also own a convertible, I recommend open face as it's cooler (temp., that is).