Who can do authorized Mini Work?

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
OL GEZR

Who can do authorized Mini Work?

Post by OL GEZR »

Just bought an '03 Mini "S" and am finding my way around it. I have an airbag light illuminated and from what I can read, you have to take it to a MINI dealer to get it checked, or reset. Harrisonville is a long way from Baron and was wondering if there are other Mini repair spots around the KC area that I can look to for work I don't want to tackle, or can't in this case? Ol Gezr
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I don't know of anyone south of the city who can work on your MINI, but on something as critical as an airbag I think I'd make the trip to Baron. If you make your appointment far enough ahead they can offer you a loaner car so you're not without wheels.

Only MINI dealers are "authorized" service centers........although there are plenty of shops competent to work on your car.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
OL GEZR

Post by OL GEZR »

Thanks Dave, I'll be sure and take the Cooper to Baron for the airbag light. Do you have any recommendations for other places to have work done? So far, everything is working as it should, but I've been into British cars for over 40 years and they don't call them tinkertoys for nothing. My TR3 is always requesting attention, but I'm hopeful the Cooper will just be reliable and fun to drive.
Larry
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

If the car's been serviced well and cared for it will be as reliable as any other modern car - British or otherwise. And as the current owner of an XK-E, a Lexus and an Audi, I believe I know what I'm talking about when it comes to British, German and Japanese cars! :lol:

The only other shop I've heard mentioned on this board is one that's only a mile or so from Baron - Autosport. I don't know of any down south, but I'm sure there are some.........
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

KC Auto Sport is the name of the place. They do excellent work. 67th St exit off I-35. Call 913-677-0707 for directions and an appointment. Ask for Tim or Marcos :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
sweetlou
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sweetlou »

I heard from a source that mini is extending the warranty on the air bag light back to the beginning 2002 because it is a known issue. You might want to call Baron and ask questions about it. This is reltively new but it is coming for pretty sure.

Mark
OL GEZR

Post by OL GEZR »

Mark, many thanks for the info. on the air bag light. I'll give Baron a call tomorrow and see what they have to say. Either way, I need to get it taken care of so my Bride will ride easier!
Ol Gezr
bomber

Post by bomber »

My '03 MCS has developed the same problem. The air bag light blinks off for a second and then comes back on when I start. Let us know what Baron has to say. I'm down in Buffalo, so it's a day trip for me to come up.
OL GEZR

Went to Baron today

Post by OL GEZR »

It seems that the module that controls the airbag will not let the technician bypass the light codes and find out anything about the air bags. The air bags are there, but he can't find out why the light is on, and the module is corrupt to the extent that he can't get any information. In order to proceed, the only solution is to install a new, $900 air bag control module which will allow him to then read the air bag information and reset the light. Not a pretty solution, but they don't offer interjecting a "factory" module just to test the system, you have to buy one so they can do the test. I'm learning to speak BMW.....$$$$$
bomber

Post by bomber »

Sounds like they are guessing and want you to pay to prove the theory. Thanks for the information. I'll so some checking around and see if I can find out anything else. The light is annoying, but will the air bags still work??
OL GEZR

Airbag Light

Post by OL GEZR »

According to the Tech that explained the "theory" to me, the airbags will not work if the light is illuminated. Supposedly the module that controls the airbags has "thrown an error code" and locked out the airbags. Basically they said if your light is on, your airbags are not going to deploy. They indicated that replacing the module will correct the problem and allow the airbags to function. I'm sure they don't want to fix it, have them not deploy in an accident, and then face a lawyer asking why they didn't work. Hopefully by the end of the week, I'll be riding around "safe" again. Good luck on your light.
bomber

Post by bomber »

I don't know if this applies, but it's worth the read.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2006/03/26/ ... ag-issues/
OL GEZR

Airbag Light

Post by OL GEZR »

Thanks for the info. I've copied it and will take it in when I pick up the Mini. I asked about warrenty coverage and they skirted the issue. The article doesn't agree with what the Tech told me, so I'll be sure and ask. I know the Tech is not going to be wrong, so I'm just hopeful that they can get the problem solved without incurring any additional time or $. From the MINI USA Blog, it looks like there have been nightmares with the BMW airbag system. You'd think they would want to get it fixed right and have happy customers!
bomber

Post by bomber »

I agree with you and will keep on this to find an answer from Mini. There has to be a direct access to Mini USA for questions.