Suddenly, I have no heat!

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Suddenly, I have no heat!

Post by MiniGeoff »

Alright, so when I put my MINI in the garage Friday night, my heater worked fine. Sat afternoon, not so much. My fan won't blow, at all. I checked the fuses and they seem to be fine. I don't show any warning lights or anything on the dash. My A/C compressor has been dead for a few months, since I figured I'd wait till spring when I needed it to fix it, but that hadn't effected anything before now. And while it's nice enough to get by today, I doubt that it will last till spring.

Any suggestions? I really don't want to spend a truck load of $$ for a diagnostic from Baron to find out it's something stupid I could have fixed for $9 and 10 min...
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

I have not personally dealt with any places other than Baron for repairs as my Mini is still in warranty, but there are reputable repair shops around. In Waldo, Hafkemeyer and Star Motors come to mind. I work at a local hardware store and have not heard bad things about them.

Don D

As a general rule, I really would have thought you'd find something in that fuse box. :(
sweetlou
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sweetlou »

Is there any heat coming out or the fan is not working? Does it work at any speeds? Usually the cars I work on the blower motor relay goes bad but it will usually still work on high. The relay should be located around the blower motor assembly itself, our mini just left for work or I would go look.

Mark
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Do you have the automatic or manual system?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

It's the automatic system, but it won't work on auto or manual. It's just the fan. With enough time and the thermostat set high, it will warm with the vent circulation.

I suppose I could go through and replace all the fuses, but otherwise, I'm at a loss.
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Every so often mine just refuses to work, restarting always fixes it tho.......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

Minidave wrote:Every so often mine just refuses to work, restarting always fixes it tho.......
Yeah, that was the first thing I tried, no joy.

I guess it's going to have to go to the MINI Dr before to long. I'll probably return to KC Autosport. I've had good luck with them in the past, and after my last Baron experience, I'm willing to give them a shot again.
06 Subaru WRX
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

You did look at the fuse, right?

And you checked to see if a relay came unplugged (if there is one for the fan - I don't know)

And you crawled down and stuck your head up under the dash to see if the wires just came unplugged?

The fan's in the right footwell......

If you pull the cabin filter cover down, you might be able to touch the blower wheel to see if it's stuck from leaves or something getting in there, or if the motor's just bad. Did it make any noise at all before it quit?

Other than that, I'd say Autosport is your next move, too bad there's not someone closer to you that you trust to look at it.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Speaking of heater problems, suddenly I have no control over the cabin air flow! My blower still blows but it seems like the flap that controls whether air flows to the windshield or the floor is broken. Anybody else have this happen? I have the automatic climate control system.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

That sounds like a vacuum hose come adrift or split........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Soopercooperinfo

Post by Soopercooperinfo »

MiniGeoff wrote:
Minidave wrote:Every so often mine just refuses to work, restarting always fixes it tho.......

I guess it's going to have to go to the MINI Dr before to long. I'll probably return to KC Autosport. I've had good luck with them in the past, and after my last Baron experience, I'm willing to give them a shot again.
Did you return to KC Autosport and did they do you right? Thanks
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

Soopercooperinfo wrote:
MiniGeoff wrote:

Did you return to KC Autosport and did they do you right? Thanks
Actually, do to spontaneous correction, it started working on it's own. :shock:

Gotta love British made electrical systems! :D
06 Subaru WRX
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

The two times or so mine's quit working completely, shutting off and restarting always "cures" it............glad yours did too............
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"