Non-MINI/Mini discussion
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Anybody here try their new video calling service yet?

We got a new laptop this Xmas and at the urging of my brother who lives in St. Louis I downloaded the program. What a blast!

So far I've talked to friends in Portland,Or - St. Louis, Australia, Le mans, France, Switzerland as well as a few in California and Texas! All free!

It works great, the video is almost TV clarity (depending on your webcam of course) and the voice sync perfectly with virtually no lag time - pretty amazing - and all calls are free to other Skype members, anywhere in the world!

All you need is a webcam and a broadband connection........and a windows based OS

Download the program here ...... http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/s ... dows/beta/
and you're off and running.

I'm Jagmandave on Skype, since MINIdave was already taken.

I'm going to buy new webcams for my kids so I can see my grandkids more often!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I've got skype on my computer but i haven't used it in a while. LOL.
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

It still works. :) MiniDave and I had a chat the night he posted this.

Don D
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yep, it works great in fact!

I'm always surprised by how clear it is, and the lack of latency, and the free part is the icing on the cake!

My brother in England is supposed to get his camera up and working this weekend, I haven't seen him in a couple of years, it will be great to re-connect!

I also have friends in LeMans, France and Australia I can see with this, it's a truly wonderful invention, and I'm grateful for the efforts the big brain folks put out to do stuff like this.............
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

I had been using skype tele. service for the past year until I purchased new computers w/Vista OS. I never got around to downloading the software for the new machines. Nor was I aware of video conferencing... COOL!

If I were a student these days, I'd undoubtedly flunk out because I would spend wayyyy too much time video chatting with all the pals across the nation/world that I met during breaks, etc. Facebook? Not a chance... it would be skype that ruined my grades.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

Skype is a great tool and their rates to call land lines from your PC is very reasonable. I used it when i was out in Australia to call back to the US and in 2 weeks i think i spent probably 5 bucks for over 2 hours of talk time. I now use it to call clients in australia and Malaysia from home and its always been dependable. My brother even uses it with his 3G ATT data card and says it works well. I havent tried the video conferencing yet, but ill have to check it out, THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I spoke to my other brother from his London flat last night for over an hour, perfect video and voice, no issues with latency or anything - works great!

And best of all - Free!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"