Strut Plates and Mirror Caps

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
sweetlou
MINIAC
MINIAC

Strut Plates and Mirror Caps

Post by sweetlou »

I know someone here has done the strut plates before, I just want to make sure i know what I am doing before I start. I did a search but came up empty. I always remeber the first step and a few of the last steps on projects like this, its the ones in the middle that get me into trouble.

Also anyone ever pop off the mirror caps before, I would really like to avoid breaking off the factory black ones so I can reuse them later. Got some Union Jack ones to put on. Actually for Alicia to put on she loves working on her car.

mark
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

As long as your strut tops are not mushroomed, it's no big deal. Take off the nuts, put on the plate, put the nuts back on. I put on the M7 plates with the strut bar and everything went very easily, even putting the hood back down over the strut bar. Your mileage may vary, so I am told.

DD
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

When you replace the strut plates, torque the nuts @ 22 lbs.
Try this on the mirror caps--
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/fo ... ght=mirror

Hope this helps, David
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

What strut plates are you putting on? What are you doing with your mirror caps.

Show us pictures when you're done!
sweetlou
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sweetlou »

Thanks for the information guy's. Davester you the man that is exactly what I was looking for. Alicia has come up with a better idea on her graphics so I might be returning the mirror caps ( they are the union jack ones) and the strut plates are just the plates form Baron. So as soon as we hear back from a certain graphic guy :D we will figure out exactly what we are doing.

Mark
sweetlou
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sweetlou »

Ok so i am going to try to tackle the strut plates on Saturday. I understand they are pretty straight forward, my only concern is one tower has a little mushrooming. So my thought is to remove the three bolts jack that side up in the front just a little so I can pound the metal back down. When I say a little I mean a LITTLE. Everything I find on NAM or M7 website say to follow the simple directions even for the mushrooming. But of course ours came with no directions. So anyone have any advice?

Mark
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

Be sure you don't over torque the nuts. If the instructions don't mention a torque specification - Bentley's has it at 25 ft-lbs, which would be very easy to overdo.

Just a heads up. Good luck and show us some pictures when you are done.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

Sweetlou

Did you install the strut braces and was the simple mushroom repair as easy as it sounds?

I have M7's and it took all of one minute per side to install. I had no mushrooming, though.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
Soopercooperinfo

Post by Soopercooperinfo »

Here's another rendition we found on the mirror cap replacement: http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?faq= ... irror_caps
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

I have some chrome caps I'll trade you for those nice black ones! :P
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Since this thread was started last april (2008!), I'd hope he has them installed by now! :lol:
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

Bah, somebody did thread necromancy and I missed it. :P
sweetlou
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sweetlou »

Well actually, strut plates were installed on Todd's driveway that included some hammer madification to shroomed side and some new bolts that were needed but did not come with the plates. Mirror caps never made it out of the box as a different direction on madificatition was made. I still have them and somebody needs them.

Mark

I mispelled modification but I like (madification) better so I did not fix it.

New word :)