Sold the Harley, a new BMW to the family

Non-MINI/Mini discussion
kabootist

Sold the Harley, a new BMW to the family

Post by kabootist »

So I sold my beloved softail today... it was a sad ride down to Paola to deliver it to the new owner. It wasn't as sad as seeing my 03 MCS leave me with a new owner, because i actually cried a little when i saw it leave. Yet this means, I can increase my stake in BMW. I will probably be purchasing a BMW motorcycle...R1200GS, I talked to some about it during the Boulevard tour but here's what might be coming into my family of vehicles.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/10/in-t ... r-1200-gs/
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I know someone who has an 800 version of one of these..............

So, do you plan on heading down some dirt roads?

Spendy, very very spendy - but probably not bad compared to a big Hardly Ableson, huh?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

Haven't decided if i am going to go new, local BMW dealer has a nice 2007 thats setup exactly like I want...hard saddle cases, engine guard, and a lot of other goodies. either way a pimped out BMW is about the same price as a Harley thats not so pimped out. I don't think the harley was my style, not to say theres anything wrong with the style or the bikes themselves, they are a great bike, but you have to want it enough to pay the price, I clearly didn't want to pay for it...luckily someone did :D

As for the dirty roads, i think it might be fun once I get used to the bike, good thing is its an excellent touring bike so its comfortable in both situations.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Do you have your own version of Long Way Round in the works? You'll have the perfect ride to do it with!
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

Its actually Long Way Down and Long Way Round that got me looking at the bike, once i sat on it, that was it, a match made in heaven.

I've got one trip planned for this summer to Yellowstone, the "long way" there, as little interstate as possible. If you think its boring in a car going across kansas, imagine not having any music going and the wind whipping you around. It will be interesting rolling into sturgis without my harley, now that i am getting a BMW i wont make as much noise.

for the future, I want to do a ride up to Alaska...thats about as Long Way anything I'll go. my dad and I have talked about doing a motorcycle trip to Chile, but that would require me to lose my job or something where i could take a month or 2 off. Alaska should probably only take a month or so.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

If you enjoyed Long Way Round and Long Way Down, you might like Road Fever by Tim Cahill. It might fuel your Chile yearnings though...Is that too far for a club trip? :)
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
JohnBLZ

Post by JohnBLZ »

When we were in Yellowstone and Glacier NP last year, we came across several groups of BMW 2 wheelers. All had nothing but glowing reviews of the bikes across those beat up roads.

For those of you that haven't been to either park, think of the asphalt in a really crappy parking lot, like Outlet Mall in Olathe, put a shitload of potholes in it and add some blind curves.

That's the best roads in those two parks. ;)

But I was very impressed myself, if I were to get a bike, it'd be one of those over a harley anyday.

I've always put Harleys in the same categories as Hummers anyways. But hey, that's just me ;)
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

Yea, I was quickly becoming one of those "I have a Harley, but I drove my car here" people. I enjoyed my harley but it wasn't what I thought it would be after going to Sturgis. I used to have a Yamaha V-star 1100, and it was everything I needed and most importantly CHEAP, but my parents bought a harley and then my brother bought another 2 harleys (he has 3 in total) and I thought, why not sell the yamaha and get a Harley. I had the money so I figured what could it hurt. Harleys keep their value very well, I sold my harley for about 500 dollars less than I paid for it last year (Unlike a Hummer). Granted after taxes and the dealer fees, I lost money. The harley was comfortable but not for the long distance trips I wanted to take. Also all harley accessories are rediculously overpriced, there is no way a piece of plexiglass with some clamps is worth 400 dollars! So slowly i stopped riding it and the last time i really rode it was when I went to sturgis in August. It finally came down to the community for me, being in sturgis, my dad and I realized we arent the party time, beer drinking, bar going, biker that everyone was being. I spent probably 6 hours total in Sturgis that week, mostly shopping.

Moral of my experience is, think before you leap, luckily I had the money to throw around so it wasnt too big of a deal. I could never get rid of my mini because of the community, but with the Harley the community is on a totally different wavelength than me.

Just a side note because it irks me a lot. Harley Dealerships make money not only on the motorcycle but the dealer fees as bad, luckily i bought a used Harley (2007) with 1000 miles on it, so i didnt get hit will the fees. I've heard horror stories of how much the local dealers here charge on top of MSRP, but with my experience I was going to buy a new harley and the particular dealer i was at wanted to charge me 1500 on top of MSRP for freight and setup...plus they used a tactic, I dont agree with. Putting the list price without any options and then listing the options below with a plus next to each of them, so really you have no idea how much it really is. I told this to a few people and there are dealers here in the metro that are worse than that. So maybe I'm ranting but when I was buying the economy was "good" and bikes were selling left and right so I guess the market lets them charge those prices and extra fees. I don't think that is the case now, but I'm not looking to get a Harley either.

sorry for the rant. :D Thanks for the info on the roads, I was planning on camping out at Jackson Lake and touring the loops of Yellowstone. This info might finally get my dad to get rid of his touring Harley.
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

Luv that R1200GS, but BMW's prices just make me shudder.

I rode dirt bikes through most of my youth and would love to have a dual-purpose, but I'll probably end up with the KLR-650 if I do it as I am just hopelessly cheap.

Don D
(now riding a Yamaha XS-650 with historic plates)
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

If BMW's prices make you shudder, I would recommend not going to an HD dealer...who knows what will happen.
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

No lie!
kabootist wrote:If BMW's prices make you shudder, I would recommend not going to an HD dealer...who knows what will happen.
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

Update: Test rode the BMW today...that is one sweet bike, I've never been so comfortable on a motorcycle. Only thing that kept me from buying it is the lack of an Extended Warranty. It still has 1 year of the original warranty left but I'd like to keep the bike much longer than that and I want at least 2 years. Oh well, now I have to think.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Are BMW bikes prone to needing warranty work?

I think if the price is good enough (and it should be given the current economic climate) that you wouldn't need to worry about the warranty.......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

Well here's update #2: I just put a deposit down on a NEW 2008, so I get that nice tax break for buying a new motorcycle. I am heading to Santa Fe, New Mexico this weekend to verify its awesomeness and then purchase. 3 year/ 36k warranty on a motorcycle is awsome so its worth the extra 500 dollars I am going to pay for this 08, compared to the 07 i was looking at.

DDodge

Post by DDodge »

Very Nice! I'm envious!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

You bought a new '08 for only $500 more than a used '07? I think that was a good move...........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

Minidave wrote:You bought a new '08 for only $500 more than a used '07? I think that was a good move...........
Only differences is the 07 had some custom body work...but this one has a custom paint job...that is the same red paint used on the M3. The 07 did have fog lights ($200 max) that I didn't really care for that much, and an engine guard that costs another 200 bucks (which i will buy eventually). The thing I will miss is the hard BMW saddle bags, which are 1000 dollars new. I can get some nicely used ones for about 500, and im going to try to haggle a bit and get the top case for free with the 08. I have also contemplated building my own saddle bags and it will only cost me 50 bucks for all the metal. So I believe I made a good deal, I doubt the BMW dealer here in town will be able to lower the price enough to get me to ask for my deposit back.
toeknee

Post by toeknee »

I am impressed Ivan hasn't posted yet, he must actually be working tonight. :P

He did, in fact, buy a BMW in New Mexico, but not the red on in the picture. It's the same kind but it's gray and has the hard saddle bags on the sides.

I don't know what we'll do with TWO BMW products around now, but my guess is to find as many twisty scenic roads as possible. :)
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

Ah yes, its true, the purchase is complete. Bought with 14 miles last friday, allready has around 250 and counting. Will have around 500 by the end of this weekend.

rarerover

Post by rarerover »

Very nice bike. I just dropped my K1200LT off for a new front tire and oil change. I hope I get it back in time for a little weekend ride. Congrats on the new purchase.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Congrats! Enjoy your new ride.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

rarerover wrote:Very nice bike. I just dropped my K1200LT off for a new front tire and oil change. I hope I get it back in time for a little weekend ride. Congrats on the new purchase.

My dad has been looking at K1200LTs for awhile now, anytime now, he will have rid himself of his Harley and gone BMW. He rode my bike for about 15 miles and it only made him want a BMW even more.