A Monday Grrrrrrr......

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

A Monday Grrrrrrr......

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Just needed to whine and moan about stupid leaky motor mounts.... :evil:

If MINI had to leave any tiny part of the British heritage intact in our cars, why did it have to be the dripping, leaking and constant oozing of fluids?!?
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Audi and other German makes have just as much trouble with these motor mounts, if it makes you feel any better........

Is there an aftermarket source for replacements yet?

Which one broke it's "water", left or right side?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

It's the right side this time, the left side broke under warranty. The fluid that is in those motor mounts is resistant to any cleaner I have tried. Ugh.
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yeah, I've heard once it dries it really stains........I guess I should be glad I have a blue car?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
saturn

Post by saturn »

Every air-cooled VW I've owned leaked oil, we just pass it off to our cars marking their territory! :P
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

My Mini just recently leaked oil through a piece of cardboard. LOL
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
sweetlou
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sweetlou »

Well crap I was giving Alicia's car a quick wax on Friday and once over on the engine compartment when I noticed some oooze like substance that did not used to be there. Now i know it is the right side motor mount, still a little bit of warranty left A/C was making a chirping belt sound the other day also.

Side Note my rattling in the roof area after at least four times of taking it in for this and a special trip to take a tech for a ride appears to be fixed. They washed my "Flocked Sunroof Seal" whatever that is, it worked and it has been quiet ever since.

Beat the Flock Seal out of me :D

Mark
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Johnna, when the mount fails do you feel a lot more vibration from the engine? If so, all the time or only at idle? Does the engine clunk when it changes gears, or if you put it into reverse?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Minidave wrote:Johnna, when the mount fails do you feel a lot more vibration from the engine? If so, all the time or only at idle? Does the engine clunk when it changes gears, or if you put it into reverse?
I've had no indication of anything being wrong either time, just fluid dripping on the garage floor. I'm guessing I have caught it early both times?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Sounds like it.

Although, I wonder whether the fluid damping really makes that much difference or not...........

When the mount failed on my brother's Audi, it did so catastrophically, all of the fluid came out at once, and since the Audi engine hangs off the mounts, it dropped down considerably causing shift linkage problems and so on........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Steve of Custom Mini Shop has our solution for the hydraulic damper
This is the third generation of our(Custom Mini Shop) prototype. I have about about 1000 miles on this mount and about 10k for all three. There is very little vibration increase, if any, and it hasn't needed an engine damper for spirited driving. It's going to manufacturing soon.

sweetlou
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sweetlou »

Dave

I also have no additional vibration or noise, I drove it a little hard this morning just running all the way through the gears and nothing.

Mark
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

I had the left mount fail just before the warranty ran out. There was no increase in vibration or any other sign it had failed except for oil in the engine compartment below the mount and oil on the inside of the front wheel. From the way the oil stained and the fact I only saw a few drops on my garage floor, it must have blown out and all the oil drained at once.
09 Clubman S LB/B, 3 Pkgs, JCW Wheel, JCW Tuning Kit, H&R Springs, ALTA 19mm swaybar
14 Paceman S All4, Starlight Blue/White, Fully loaded, JCW Steering Wheel
David & Debra
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

My MINI is all fixed up and now that it's back in proper working order, I do notice a difference.

First, I had a funny rattle that could only be heard with the top or windows down and it occured as soon as I put the car in reverse (I would hear it when pulling out of the garage). That noise is gone. Also gone is a strange rattle that had recently developed in the driver's side door. How that's related, I don't know, but it's gone so now I don't have to have the radio up so loud. :lol:
sweetlou
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sweetlou »

My MINI is all fixed up and now that it's back in proper working order,

Who did the work?

Mark
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

sweetlou wrote:My MINI is all fixed up and now that it's back in proper working order,

Who did the work?

Mark
Umm....not Baron. :wink: But I had a little adjustment over there today, too, just to keep things even. Sharing the wealth, so to speak...
sweetlou
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sweetlou »

Umm....not Baron. Wink But I had a little adjustment over there today, too, just to keep things even. Sharing the wealth, so to speak...

The economy thanks you.
:lol: :lol:
pmddre

Re: A Monday Grrrrrrr......

Post by pmddre »

Yep - motor mount on the garage floor is there for good. Have not found anything to take it up in 2 years. So far only the right side and was under warrenty. Next time it's on me. Messy
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Wonder what that fluid is, that it stains like that - some kind of ink?

When my brother's Audi mount blew, he was parked on the street at his girlfriend's house, so I doubt he paid any attention to the stuff and whether it stains like this does.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Minidave wrote:Wonder what that fluid is, that it stains like that - some kind of ink?

When my brother's Audi mount blew, he was parked on the street at his girlfriend's house, so I doubt he paid any attention to the stuff and whether it stains like this does.
I asked about this and was just told "hydraulic fluid." I grew up in a professional garage and thought I knew at least a few tricks for removing auto fluid stains from floors and clothing but this one eludes me...a couple new Race Deck tiles are the only solution for this mess. :roll: