Windshield Crack

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Windshield Crack

Post by ddmini »

I went out to the garage this afternoon and found this on my new clubman.

I only have 6 weeks and 1,300 miles on this one, at least the '05 made it most of a year before it had a stress crack. We were out yesterday evening and it was fine so sometime overnight it just cracked! I thought MINI solved this problem but I guess I was wrong. Hopefully Baron will give me less trouble replacing this one than they did on the 05.
09 Clubman S LB/B, 3 Pkgs, JCW Wheel, JCW Tuning Kit, H&R Springs, ALTA 19mm swaybar
14 Paceman S All4, Starlight Blue/White, Fully loaded, JCW Steering Wheel
David & Debra
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Windshield Crack

Post by Minidave »

What is it with MINIs and broken windshields? You see this mentioned all the time on other forums too.

When I got home from West Consin I noticed the windshield on the Clubster has a ton of pits in it already too, and only 7K on the car! Looks like this could be a new one once a year deal for me. At $100 a pop (insurance deductible), it's not too bad but I really hate having to do this like a maintenance item!
Last edited by Minidave on Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Soopercooperinfo

Post by Soopercooperinfo »

Where would you take your Mini for an aftermarket windshield installation in the KC area that you trust? Thanks
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Had mine replaced with PPG at Auto Glass and Tint. A very good job was done---
http://www.autoglassandtintshop.com/main/
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

I went to the place Davester recommended and they gave a really nice discount to me when I mentioned belonging to the KC MINI club. :D

They also mentioned they sure do a lot of work on MINIs. Hmmm....
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Last fall I had the windshield on the bride's Audi replaced..........in our driveway. Safelite came and in 1 hr it was done. I watched him every step of the way and he was professional and did a super job. Wish I had used them when I did the windshield in my '03 MINI; if I have to replace the one in the Clubby sometime next year due to all the pitting or if it cracks like DDmini's did, I would seriously consider having them do it for me.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

Soopercooperinfo wrote:Where would you take your Mini for an aftermarket windshield installation in the KC area that you trust? Thanks
We had Binswanger Glass do our 05 twice. We have to wait a while they order the glass from MINI and it was still cheaper than having Baron do it. They will do the third windshield some time this year. We were going to have the windshield done just because of all the pits but the day before we picked up the Clubman a truck kicked up a rock and cracked it.
09 Clubman S LB/B, 3 Pkgs, JCW Wheel, JCW Tuning Kit, H&R Springs, ALTA 19mm swaybar
David & Debra
saturn

Post by saturn »

ddmini wrote:
Soopercooperinfo wrote:Where would you take your Mini for an aftermarket windshield installation in the KC area that you trust? Thanks
We had Binswanger Glass do our 05 twice. We have to wait a while they order the glass from MINI and it was still cheaper than having Baron do it. They will do the third windshield some time this year. We were going to have the windshield done just because of all the pits but the day before we picked up the Clubman a truck kicked up a rock and cracked it.
Excellent choice in glass repair shops! When I lived in California, I worked for a glass company that was bought out by Binswanger (it was called Harding Glass at the time) and I was impressed overall with the company. Good choice!
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

The Binswanger here used to be a Harding Glass. As Harding they had done all of my parents glass work for years and since Binswanger bought them we have had 4 windshields put in various vehicles without a single problem. The I70 commute has been a killer on windshields.
David & Debra
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Wonder if the A-pillar moldings work differently on the Gen II cars? Seems those were a real problem on the 1st Gen cars when the windshields were replaced.......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

Minidave wrote:Wonder if the A-pillar moldings work differently on the Gen II cars? Seems those were a real problem on the 1st Gen cars when the windshields were replaced.......
I hope they have fixed that problem. I spent $70 buying the molding that runs the length of the roof just to get the little 3" piece that goes over the A pillar.
David & Debra
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, my new car does not have that (the 3" molding) but it does look like the A pillar covers have to come off to change out the windshield. Others have done a better job of this making the changeout a lot easier and offering less chance of breakage of other parts............one of the quirks, I guess.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

I took it in this morning and they have to submit a picture to MINIUSA to get approval for the windshield replacement. They said that this was the first stress crack they had seen on a 2nd gen MINI. With the number of times service has told me that they have never seen a problem I had with the 05 I am not sure that I believe them.
David & Debra
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

They replaced the windshield and took care of a piece that broke off the passenger assist handle. I just have to take it back on Wednesday so they can tint it.
David & Debra
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Dave I am guessing since the angle of the windshield is nearly verticle the deflection of rocks isn't so soft as if it were a more swept windshield like on any car that is more aerodynamic then the mini

I am going to be on my 4th windshield here this fall. I currently have a 3 inch line crack and 2 filled pits but have start to spider a little and then thousands of tiny unfillable pits.