MINI Roadster Concept

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

MINI Roadster Concept

Post by kenshin138 »

Gallery: http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/mini-roadster-concept/
Autoblog wrote:MINI has officially revealed the Roadster Concept alongside the Coupe Concept we saw a couple of weeks ago, and like the rigid top version, the Roadster is a two-seater with a chopped roofline and tilted back windscreen. This is almost certainly the second new model that will be produced at MINI's Oxford UK assembly plant alongside the Coupe.

Also like the Coupe, the Roadster appears pretty much unchanged from the belt-line down compared to existing MINIs. For the Roadster, the roll-bar structure has been shifted forward so it sits directly behind the seats. For anyone who's driven the current Mini Convertible, this should improve the lil' coupe's structural rigidity, making the Roadster a more competent handler in the process.

Another functional advantage of the Roadster is the larger trunk thanks to the missing back seat. The volume grows from 5.7 to 8.8 cubic feet and the opening is now usably large, extending over the rear deck and down to the bumper. A lockable pass-through allows a passenger to reach items in the trunk. The gimmicky Openometer on the current convertible is also replaced by a multi-function display that still offers the open driving time in addition to five new indicators: the Nature Guard (how eco friendly you're driving), Highspeed Shifter (when to shift for maximum power), Gravity Indicator (lateral and g-forces), Heart Beat (engine speed visualized by beating heart) and Buddy Radar (shows where other Mini drivers are).
I'll take mine in that exact color, but with no stripes, please!
Ryan
'12 MB/MB MCSa
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: MINI Roadster Concept

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Can't wait... :D :D :D
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I think I kinda like it, but I'd want to see it with the top up too, to see if you can see out the back and so on.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Minidave wrote:I think I kinda like it, but I'd want to see it with the top up too, to see if you can see out the back and so on.....
There are pics at the Autoblog link with the top up. I'm not overly fond of how it looks with the top up, might take some getting used to. And as for seeing out the back, I'm hoping the back-up cam is standard, otherwise having one added will be on my shopping list. Combined with PDC, I've never been too uncomfortable, but then again I drive slow in reverse. :lol:

More pics from Frankfurt here: http://www.motoringfile.com/2009/09/15/ ... kfurt-iaa/

LOVE the houndstooth.
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
saturn

Post by saturn »

My one and only complaint, so far, manual top only to cut down on the weight. They should at least offer a power option.
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Wonder how fun it would be on the track? Sorry, I guess I have a one track mind!
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I'm not sure you could run it on the track unless you added a roll bar......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

Since the top is basically right behind you I don't see an issue with it being a manual top. I will agree that I'm not a huge fan of the "top-up" look, perhaps if it had a black top it would look better.

I love the profile of the car with the layed back windshield though! The black "joey mod" headlights better become standard too, such a huge improvement over the "bling" chrome look.

My only real complaint is the name. Its not a "Roadster". IMHO a roadster should be RWD. A Miata is a roadster, a S2000 is a roadster, a Solstice is a roadster. This is not. I thought Speedster was a cooler name and fit the MINI brand better.
Ryan
'12 MB/MB MCSa
speed_racer

Post by speed_racer »

I'm not usually a lover of convertibles to the point that I would own one, but I think I'm in love.... :D
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

I'm sold. I thought I'd like it just based on the hardtop, and I'm convinced. If I start saving today, I might even be able to afford it by the time it hits dealerships.
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

How do you choose among your 4 girls (including the bride of course) who's going to get to ride with you? :shock: :lol:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

pick ME pick ME
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

I like it better than the hardtop. IF they keep the price around the same as the convertible this will probably be our next car.
09 Clubman S LB/B, 3 Pkgs, JCW Wheel, JCW Tuning Kit, H&R Springs, ALTA 19mm swaybar
14 Paceman S All4, Starlight Blue/White, Fully loaded, JCW Steering Wheel
David & Debra
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Minidave wrote:I'm not sure you could run it on the track unless you added a roll bar......
I read another blog that said the "roadster" has a pop-up roll bar for safety.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

So does the current Cabrio, but I'm not sure the PTB consider that as acceptable for track use.........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

You're probably right. I'm just dreaming. :D I guess I need a small back seat for the dogs anyway.
George

ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

roadster looks awesome! the coupe does not. i hope they make the roadster instead of the coupe. the hatch is already enough
Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

I love the roadster, and agree that speedster is a better name. I'm not sure whether I like the coupe. Gives me the same kind of love/hate affair that I have with current Lotus Elises. I think I like the looks of the roadster with the top up. I even like the white hounds tooth accents.

What I don't like: GOOFY, childish waste of what should be useful gauges. How 'bout a temp gauge? WTF? A buddy locator? A cute little pulsating heart? Gee, why not Hello Kitty guage face plates?

It looks like enough people must like the Gen 2 center stack that they only slightly modified the pathetic ergonomics and silly looking Playskool controls and knobs.

Am I the only person who hates how the headrest of Gen 2 (and seemingly these prototypes as well) bash the back of your head? Please lose the big round, visually and physically obtrussive headrests!

I can imagine years ahead owning a highly discounted, used roadster as a second or third garage toy.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
saturn

Post by saturn »

dimini wrote:GOOFY, childish waste of what should be useful gauges. How 'bout a temp gauge? WTF? A buddy locator? A cute little pulsating heart? Gee, why not Hello Kitty guage face plates?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: