HPT Touring Laps 9/30

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

HPT Touring Laps 9/30

Post by Hagar46 »

Anyone else interested in doing the 9/30 Heartland Park Topeka High Speed Touring Laps? I'll be in Salina that morning and was thinking of running HPT that afternoon. :D
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: HPT Touring Laps 9/30

Post by Minidave »

I'll, just be back from Dallas that weekend, I doubt I'll be able to get away. There is no Oct event this year is there?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Last one for 2009 is October 14th. I'll probably do that one also since it will be the last shot for the year.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, let's shoot for that one for sure - although that's the week I'm supposed to be in Maui with my wife for our anniversary........ :oops:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
cdecker78

Post by cdecker78 »

Minidave wrote:Well, let's shoot for that one for sure - although that's the week I'm supposed to be in Maui with my wife for our anniversary........ :oops:

As if that's as important as LAPS at HPT! lol j/k
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Anyone else going to HPT on the 30th?
George

LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

I wouldn't mind at least showing up! Does it cost something to run?
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

No cost to spectate. To run, annual member fee of $20 and $80 day of entry cost ($60 if pre-register). Must have approved helmet and pass tech inspection before getting on the track. Worth every penny in my mind!
George

Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

LR1, if you go up to watch, follow the road around to the back (east) side of the track and you can drive right into the paddock area. Once there the best areas to spectate from are the top of the grandstands, especially the north corner and maybe down by turn 1. You can walk/drive to pretty much any area of the track to watch from.........

But be forewarned, once you go, you'll be hooked! :D

If you ask, you may be able to get a ride with one of the advanced drivers in a Vette or Viper too.

There is no cheaper way to get onto a fine roadcourse like HPT and feed you need for speed, and you will not hurt your car unless you do someting really stupid. I've run probably 9 or 10 events there and the worst I've done is wear out some brake pads and tires. But, that's 9 events worth of fun too! At $60 each, that's about the same as one HPDE weekend for cost. It's not the same amount of instruction of course, but it is the same track - you take from it what you bring. IOW, if you pay attention and listen to those who are instructing you can learn a lot and have a ton o fun with your car in a safe, controlled atmosphere.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Guess I'll go and pay. Will they still be running at 6 or 7pm?
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

If you plan on just being a spectator, it is free. If you plan on driving, you will need to make sure you have a helmet that is approved by them. The requirements are on their site. They are only on the track until dusk, so 7:00 will be pushing it and probably not worth the money if you go that late.
~Laurie~

2022 Midnight Black Metalic MINI Cooper SE “Electric Boogie”
2005 Chili Red MCS "Kevin"

2016 Blazing Red Metallic 4 door MCS
RIP 2013 Blazing Red Metallic Justa Countryman

First MINI 2005 Black Eye Purple MCS
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

LiLReD1 wrote:Guess I'll go and pay. Will they still be running at 6 or 7pm?
They won't accept any late entries after about 4 pm, cause you won't be able to get thru tech. You need to be there before 3:30 pm if you want to run, but spectating is free and you can arrive at any time.

The weather is going to be perfect so they should have a good turnout.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Then I guess I'll only be spectacting if I come. How many going?
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Turns out that I was the only MINI there. There were 5 Lotus Elise's, one supercharged to 350 hp and weighing just 1750 lbs. It seemed I had my arm out the window on every straight to wave on faster cars. Still great fun in the corners. Maybe we can get some other MINI's to HPT on Oct. 14th, the last opportunity this year.
George

LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

It's over? And I was about to head out!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Wednesdays at 3 pm, check HPT.com for details, look under "Touring Laps Club"
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Doubt I can make that either... unless I can get a few hours off early.

We went ahead and went out there to see if there were any left overs of MINI's, but didn't see anything. Stuck around for the drag racing for a while.