Clubman Suspension

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Clubman Suspension

Post by ddmini »

I need to upgrade the stock suspension on the clubman and Alta is having a sale right now. I am thinking of getting this package which should make for nice ride and better handeling. I would love the JCW suspension but I am afraid it would be much more expensive.
09 Clubman S LB/B, 3 Pkgs, JCW Wheel, JCW Tuning Kit, H&R Springs, ALTA 19mm swaybar
14 Paceman S All4, Starlight Blue/White, Fully loaded, JCW Steering Wheel
David & Debra
LiLReD1

Re: Clubman Suspension

Post by LiLReD1 »

I'm in the process looking myself. If I recall, the JCW suspension does not fit on the Clubmans. I don't know the stats on it, but according to the catalog, the JCW suspension they offer isn't avail for the R55.

I was about ready to order KW V1's, but they don't fit on the R55 either! So now I have to justify spending a few $100 more for the V2, or another brand.

Personally, I won't go with just springs myself. I like the adjustability of coil overs. But any way to lower it is ok with me!
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

LiLReD1 wrote:I'm in the process looking myself. If I recall, the JCW suspension does not fit on the Clubmans. I don't know the stats on it, but according to the catalog, the JCW suspension they offer isn't avail for the R55.

I was about ready to order KW V1's, but they don't fit on the R55 either! So now I have to justify spending a few $100 more for the V2, or another brand.

Personally, I won't go with just springs myself. I like the adjustability of coil overs. But any way to lower it is ok with me!

Texas Speed Werks has V1's for the clubman http://www.txwerks.com/servlet/Detail?no=283
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Punk_Mini wrote:
LiLReD1 wrote:I'm in the process looking myself. If I recall, the JCW suspension does not fit on the Clubmans. I don't know the stats on it, but according to the catalog, the JCW suspension they offer isn't avail for the R55.

Texas Speed Werks has V1's for the clubman http://www.txwerks.com/servlet/Detail?no=283
Sorry, should've been more specific. Was told they wouldn't work on the JCW Clubman. Don't know why, or what the difference is though.
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

They will work with no problems and whoever told you they won't just because its a JCW must be pretty fresh to aftermarket stuff for Mini's in general. If you have any specific questions feel free and pm me.
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Would be nice to know that they do! But not many JCW Clubman's around with KW's on to know or ask. I'd like to go with the V2's, but really don't care to spend the extra money at the moment when the amount I'd save could get some sway bars or osmethin' else. I just want her dropped!

How do you know they would fit Punk_Mini? They didn't tell me by personal experience, they just told me there wasn't a part # for the JCW R55 for the KW V1, but there was for the V2's.
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

http://www.kw-suspension.com/flexshop/index.html This is probably what that shop was looking at.
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Texas Speedwerks and KW USA came together to create a more finely tuned V1, V2, V3, Clubsports just for ALL Years and Bodies which is way better then off the shelf KW variants. I know that when you install any of the KW variants you reuse the oem hardware (front and rear guide support or "front camber plate'' and "rear top mount", and front top hats).

The JCW Clubman doesn't have anything SUPER special for suspension compared to the regular clubman S. I know the clubman suspension pretty well after helping a friend do a 100% custom airbag system on his. We had to make custom front camber plates with spherical bearings and custom rear top mounts with spherical bearings.

Here is a pic of my friends clubman on bags
monza

Post by monza »

ddmini wrote: I would love the JCW suspension but I am afraid it would be much more expensive.
You can get just as good, or better for less money. The JCW stuff is nice, but in general carries a high price tag. I had a kit that I picked up for a good deal, but when I compared to what I already had on the car, the kit went up for sale...

Ive currently got all H-Sport and H&R on the 03. Handles awesome when I have my summer wheels on, and not jarring or annoying with the 16" winter set.
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

I went ahead and ordered that package. I have heard good things about the H&R springs and I have a ALTA swaybar on my 05 that I have been happy with. I do not think I would have paid full price but at 50% off I think it was a good deal.
09 Clubman S LB/B, 3 Pkgs, JCW Wheel, JCW Tuning Kit, H&R Springs, ALTA 19mm swaybar
14 Paceman S All4, Starlight Blue/White, Fully loaded, JCW Steering Wheel
David & Debra
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Hey Punk, is that guy local? I've seen lots of pics of that brown Clubman. If I didn't have a JCW, I'd prolly go with the bagged route myself being an X-minitrucker. Be to cool on these.

Well not that I don't believe you, but I'd like to hear it from someone at KW before I buy it. All I want is some decent riding coil-overs myself. Don't really care the brand as long as the quality is there.

And I don't think there's any difference b/w the Clubman S and Clubman JCW suspension. I honestly haven't driven a Clubman S, but a friend with a R57 S said they could tell the difference. Only difference I saw b/w those 2 was the turn-in with the shorter wheelbase. Totally shocked with the huge difference THAT alone is.

Anyway... well if I don't find anything out about those KW, I guess I'm just gonna go with the H&R coil overs. I at least KNOW those fit cause ALTA has them on their JCW Clubman.
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

The hot chocolate clubman is from Ohio. I designed the camber plates and rear upper mounts using Solidworks for him. I don't why you couldn't do bags on the JCW but its pretty expensive as its all one off custom work.

To confirm on the Custom TSW/KW coilovers you will need to call KW North America but if you want a fast answer just give TSW a call and they can explain it all and then some.
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Well like I said, bag would be nice, but not this project.

I appreciate the info!