Seafoam

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Seafoam

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

Has anyone done a seafoam treatment to their Mini? I read a thread on NAM about it and it's got me to think about doing it myself...
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
kabootist

Re: Seafoam

Post by kabootist »

my younger brother lives by the stuff in his old Chevy's...I would suggest staying away from Seafoam on anything with a Warranty.

Used it on my diesel Jetta (245k+ miles) and It didn't make a difference.

I am assuming you would be wanting to dump it in bumblebee....I'd be partly hesitant due to the age (my opinion), better off with a fuel system cleaner and carb cleaner.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

I was actually thinking about doing it to my new Mini. BB isn't that bad. She's only got 45,000 miles on her (don't know if the odometer has rolled over or not thought)
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
monza

Post by monza »

I wouldnt use Seafoam in any car. Its just solvent. Old Timers like to put it through the crank case, and through the gas to clean the 'carb', which we dont have. If you have been religious on oil changes, then dont worry about the crank case. For the fuel system, use a real cleaner like Techron.

Honestly, I cant believe that stuff is still on the market... alot like STP, its just not a product that is needed...
monza

Post by monza »

After just reading the threads on NAM about this, it looks like people are using it to clean out the PCV system on Prince motors. Sounds more like MINI has an issue with a PCV system design since it shouldnt get clogged up with sludge in 80k. PCV is an emissions system that is under warranty for 100k by law BTW. I had SAAB replace my whole PCV system on my 9-5 because it was all goobered up at 80k.

Im still dubious on the use of Seafoam even for this application. Essentially everyone is sucking that sludge from the PCV tubing system into the intake manifold and into the engine where it is being burned, thus why everyone gets a bunch of smoke. On an R56 you are also blowing the combustion byproduct through the ($1100) turbo.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Steph, your new MINI is way too new to need any additives like this, just drive it.

Wouldn't hurt to take it out on the highway for a good long trip once in a while, other than that, an extra oil change occasionally is really all it needs to be healthy.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
monza

Post by monza »

Whew...I was talking on NAM about this and you would have thought I was talking politics. They are all sold on it. I asked a friend of mine this afternoon who was a MINI Tech with my brother at Baron before he went off to teach, and he looked at me funny when I mentioned sucking Seafoam into the intake with the PCV system. He asked if I was kidding.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Of all the reading I've done about additives, I haven't found anything I would add to a newer car like ours. Fresh synth oil and filter on a regular basis, good brand name gasoline, and a good mix of highway and city driving is all any modern car really needs - IMHO of course.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
monza

Post by monza »

Minidave wrote:Of all the reading I've done about additives, I haven't found anything I would add to a newer car like ours. Fresh synth oil and filter on a regular basis, good brand name gasoline, and a good mix of highway and city driving is all any modern car really needs - IMHO of course.....
+1 on that!

The key to minimizing carbon buildup is to give the car a good run on the highway periodically. This works especially well on turbocharged engines.
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

I have to add to the statement above. On new vehicles no fuel treatment is needed. however doing an intake manifold treatment on aluminum manifold vehicles does not hurt as there is buildup that accumulates no matter how good the design is. it just takes longer the better the design is. no matter what when you add oil and carbon from the exhaust you will get a residue that will stick to almost everything it touches. what to use to clean that out is a lot of time the question. my point is specifically toward intake manifold build up. everything else I agree with. Just my .02 cents
Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Steph had an '09 MCS with direct injection, where would it get carbon buildup in the intake manifold?

Especially since she now has the updated intake?

From the PCV? I thought those vapors were re-introduced before the air filter?

I still say, just drive it and don't worry about it.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
monza

Post by monza »

i think they are downstream of the filter, but upstream of the supercharger (R53) or turbo (R56). Thats the way they are most of the time.
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

Correct they are downstream of the air filter. There is not very much going in however the pcv alone isnt the problem. It is EGR combined with the PCV that makes the mess. PCV lets in a small amount of oil while the EGR lets in a small amount of carbon. They mix around about 50,000 miles start to build up. it is not tremendous but that is when I suggest to begin addressing the issue (for most engines still new to the MINI setup). If we do not have an EGR system (due to FI) then we shouldnt have to worry about much at all however if we do it will eventually create some build up in the intake manifold. like I said prior it will mainly stick to the aluminum intake.
Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Minidave wrote:Steph, your new MINI is way too new to need any additives like this, just drive it.

Wouldn't hurt to take it out on the highway for a good long trip once in a while, other than that, an extra oil change occasionally is really all it needs to be healthy.

I definitely take it for trips on the highway. :) I'm almost to 10,000 miles in 6 months. :D
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Then you're doing everything you need too, just keep motorin! :D
Hi! My name's Dave!