Caliper Covers

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Caliper Covers

Post by BLUGOOSE »

Just ran across an item on the net about caliper covers made by an outfit in Cal called MGP Products. They are aircraft grade aluminum with stainless steel attachment clips. They come in 3 basic colors. Anyone know of someone who has tried these? Web site is calipercovers.com. Oh,and by the way they want $200.00 for the set!!!!! :saywhat:
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Caliper Covers

Post by Minidave »

MGP is a well known mfr of quality stuff............but I don't understand what these are or what they're for, other than appearance?

Edit: OK, I watched the video......strictly for show, although they claim it lowers the caliper's heat under hard use. I like that you can order custome engraving and paint to match at no extra charge......
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
S-car-go
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by S-car-go »

Hmmmmm, might be worth $200.00 if they actually cut down on brake dust. It seems to be imposible to keep your wheels clean on a MINI. Good find, I may add these to my list of things to do!
2012 Reef Blue Clubman "S" Hampton, auto, cold weather, driving lights.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I saw them install these at AMVIV and they look like total crap. Just my .02.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
S-car-go
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by S-car-go »

That is also usefull information. Now I will wait until I can see the actual product before I pop $200.00 for something that may not look good. I'm back to a CAI being the next order of business! Thanks
2012 Reef Blue Clubman "S" Hampton, auto, cold weather, driving lights.
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

very interesting indeed. I would be very curious to know the benefits and downsides to these. I would imagine they hurt airflow over the caliper trapping heat. I think I would rather have a clear splash shield mounted between the wheel and hub. made out of Lexan (sp) or something strong but clear. You'd still see the caliper etc but would not get any brake dust on the wheels.
Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

BLUGOOSE there is a set of these on NAM for $100 if you are interested.
Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

They are made of some sort of aluminum (that is what they say) but they look like cheap plastic once installed. They don't conform to the shape of the calipers at all. It looks like someone cut out a piece of cardboard, spray painted it and taped it on top of the caliper.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!